Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for Wah Lum people

18elders Guest

Question for Wah Lum people

Anyone know how long Chan wan ching trained with Lee Kwan Shan?

SaMantis Guest
    Hi 18elders --

I just checked some of the Wah Lum info I have and couldn't find any exact dates for you. However Chan Wan Ching was the senior student of Lee Kwan Shan and was responsible for teaching Master Chan, so he must have been a student for several years before that.

I'll ask the next time I'm at the temple -- should be Wednesday.

:)
    Sams

Umm ... yeahhhhhh ... that's grrrreat ... -- Lumbergh

18elders Guest

re

Thanks SaMantis

NorthernMantis Guest
    Hey 18 elders not to make any trouble but shouldn't you already know the answer to that?

By the way how's the training coming along?Haven't talked to you in a while.Peace. :cool:

"Always be ready"

"right, that's it!you've insulted me, and you've insulted the shaolin temple!"-Fish of Furry

18elders Guest

northernmantis

Hey Northernmantis,
    nope don't know the answer, how about you?
    Training is going well, just finishing up broadsword vs. spear and am learning xiao hu yan(little tiger swallow) form.

SaMantis Guest
    Hi 18elders ...

I'm sorry ... I didn't get to class today (my work schedule keeps flip-flopping) so I haven't had a chance to find out for you. However I will be there on Friday. Just to let you know I haven't forgotten. . :)

Samt

NorthernMantis Guest
    Nope don't know either. :confused:

Good luck on broadswrod vs spear.I love two man weapons forms.It forces you to really block or you get hit.I see that you have trained in various mantis styles in the past.Do you see a dignificant diference in weapons training?I have a friend that does 7* mantis and it's way cool(the footwork).

"Always be ready"

"right, that's it!you've insulted me, and you've insulted the shaolin temple!"-Fish of Furry

SaMantis Guest
    Hi, 18elders -- I finally got some sort of answer for you; sorry it took so long!

I talked to Sifu Tu at the temple this morning and even he didn't know how long Chan Wan Ching studied with Lee Kwan Shan. But he said it must have been several years, at l east 10 years, because Chan Wan Ching was several years older than Master Chan when Master Chan came to the school (he was 6 years old when he started -- most of his training was under Chan Wan Ching because Lee Kwan Shan died in 1948).

So, there's a sort-of answer -- looks like very few people know!

:)

Sam

Speaking of Wah Lum..... how much mok gar is integrated into this system?
    "Grow through Pain." - Tainan Mantis

Aiight who stole my nick?
    I Love It When They Call Me Pork Chop-pa

mok gar in wah lum

i know for sure that the butterfly knife form is mok gar butt other than that i am not sure. many of the forms in wah lum were not originaly in the wah lum system , but were integrated by lee kwan shan in his travels through china. wich is why i love wah lum so much, it has northern and southern kung fu in it wich makes usefull to nearly everybody.

Lost Disciple- Mok gar

Well from what i understand , Chan poi's family style was Mok gar, he learned from alot of his relatives.
    He only trained with Lee Kwan Shan for 2 year when he was 6 years old until 8 years old and that is when Lee Kwan Shan died.
    Then he learned from Chan wan ching but nobody can give me a good answer on how long chan wan ching trained with Shan.
    I don't think he trained with him too long either.
    From what i have heard, Chan wan ching made up wah lum forms 1-6, and wah lum is very influenced by choy lay fut. I think that nobody really learned Lee kwan shan's mantis knowledge before he died and that is why wah lum has so much southern influence because that is what Chan poi knew. The stance work is more southern and missing some mantis stances.
    The stick forms are also more southern influence than northern as well as many of the other weapons.

Talking ABSOLUTELY CLOUDHANDS!

I agree 100% w/ you Cloudhands, the balance of northern and southern influnces in Wah Lum is what makes it so unique and complete! When I first began looking for a kung fu school, it was exactly that balance that I was in search of (among other things, of course). I am very fortunate to have found Wah Lum...being a student here has taught me more than I can even consider putting into words here.

Vixie
    learn kindness, learn fellowship, learn kung fu

He only trained with Lee Kwan Shan for 2 year when he was 6 years old until 8 years old and that is when Lee Kwan Shan died.
    So, Chan Pui is only turning 62 years old. I thought he was older.

Robin
    Last edited by Robinf; 12-12-2001 at 07:36 AM.
    Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Chan Wan Ching

The head instructor at Wah Lum Canton branch was Wong K. Wing Sifu. His younger kung fu brother was Chan Wan Ching.

Chan left for HK at an early age and so did not finish his WLPM studies there. In HK he studied under Leung Sifu the most senior at HK branch.

Chan Wan Ching also learned several other kung fu systems in HK and was reputed to be very good. His famous student Chan Poi learned other styles from Chan Wan Ching and so we see a varied WLPM curriculum.