Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is Gung Ji Fook Fu Kuen?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com

What is Gung Ji Fook Fu Kuen?

What do the characters mean?
    Not just literally, but figuratively as well.
    Why is it taught?
    Last edited by TenTigers; 01-27-2010 at 09:55 AM.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I think that, depending on the characters, it can mean a few things:
    subduing the tiger
    Conquering the tiger
    cross tiger fist
    "I" tiger fist
    I am sure there is more.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I edited my original post-what do they mean,
    not just literally, but figurativelly as well>
    Why subduing the Tiger?
    Why Gung Ji-besides the stepping pattern-"embusan" in Japanese
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Typically it is taught in most HG schools as the "first" form and as such, is the most important form.
    The "literal" name aside, one can view it as a way to "subdue" our inner tiger, to conquer some of our natural instincts that may be counter-productive at this stage of training.
    The foot work is quite good, teaching the basic angles that stay with us forever and are quite practical.

"Gung Ji" refers to the pattern - and a play on words - "Do your Work, fella!"

"Fuk Fu" means to "beat a skillful fighter".

In Chinese, a "Tiger" is a "skillful fighter", whereas a "Dragon" is an "enigmatic" or "spiritual" person...

hope that helps!

BTW, its generally taught to pull out 2 - 3 months of tuition out of the student. Dumb ones it will pull out 6 mo - 1 year...

...just kidding, but not really!

Gung Gi Fuk Fu Kuen / Gong ji fook foo kuen

"Along the Character I, Subdue the Tiger"

Many also call it "taming the tiger"

The underlying meaning is interesting and quite varied depending on who you ask, but ultimately the essence is the same.

This set, in my opinion, (and that of others as well), is the closest connection to the ancient shaolin that Hung Gar as a style has.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Think I read somewhere that the original form was just "Fook Fu", can't remember who added the "Gung Ji" part. Wong Fei Hung/Lam Sai Wing?

Quote Originally Posted by tungmojingjung View Post
    I was taught by my primary Hung sifu George Fong, Taming or Subduing the Tiger is in reference to the novice indiviual, that raw energy wild like a tiger that needs to be subdued or tamed before one can really begin to learn and or appreciate.

Gung Gee Fook Fu is just the skill to enable one to do so with good leadership.
    Yes, this is in line with what I've been taught as well.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Gung Ji is the I character, the form follow this pattern on the floor.

Fook Fu, is because you use the energy of the tiger. It's a strong form, it is not fast, it's bone not shen.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZA View Post
    Gung Ji is the I character, the form follow this pattern on the floor.

Fook Fu, is because you use the energy of the tiger. It's a strong form, it is not fast, it's bone not shen.
    I believe you mean "lik"

just chiming in.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Gung Gi

Taming the tiger or taming thy self.

I was told that Lam Cho views this form as one of the most practical forms for self defense. There are a ton of great techniques in there.

English-language book: Hung Kuen Fundamentals: Gung Gee Fok Fu Kuen

There's a vid if you follow the link.

Lam Chun Fai was on our 2002 March/April cover.

Video: English-language kung fu manual aims to boost global popularity of Hung Kuen

English-language book aims to preserve ancient style of Hung Kuen, and boost popularity abroad
    Wednesday, 15 May, 2013 [Updated: 18:00]

Hung Kuen master Lam Chun-fai, 73, and his son Oscar Lam Chuen-ho, 28, demonstrate their craft. Photo: Felix Wong

International fans of the martial-arts style made famous by kung fu legend Wong Fei-hung will find it easier to learn with the publication of its first English-language manual.

Publishers of the manual - to be launched next week - hope it will help to preserve the 300-year-old style known as Hung Kuen while also popularising it overseas.

They also want the government to adopt the style as part of Hong Kong's intangible cultural heritage.

Believed to have originated in Southern Shaolin along with other southern Chinese martial arts, the style was adopted by Wong, who was famed for his fighting prowess and righteousness in the late 19th and 20th centuries.

It was passed to Wong's student Lam Sai-wing and his adopted son Lam Cho, becoming the subject of countless movies and television series.

Lam Cho's son, Lam Chun-fai Si Fu (master), who has taught Hung Kuen in Hong Kong for 60 years, now fears it faces extinction because of a dwindling number of serious practitioners and the apathy of young people.

"Pupils were more persevering and single-minded in the past. They could easily spend a day practising Kuen," Lam said.

"But now, pupils can't stand any hardship. They say practising is tiring and give up easily."

Lam, 73, attributed this to the many modern-day distractions.

"There are many entertainments nowadays, making it difficult for young people to focus on one thing," he said.

"Though the number of Kuen learners overseas is growing, it's not the case locally," he added.

He hopes with the launch of the book, not only more overseas kung fu lovers will be interested in learning Hung Kuen but also more local youngsters will learn and pass the tradition on. The book, Hung Kuen Fundamentals: Gung Gee Fok Fu Kuen, comprises three parts with the first introducing the origin and development of Hung Kuen, in particular the Lam family's version.

The second illustrates the techniques of the foundation empty-hand set - Gung Gee Fok Fu Kuen - in Hung Kuen while the third carries memorial dedications to Lam Cho.

"Chinese martial arts were usually orally transmitted. Only very few written records were made," said the book's co-author Hing Chao, co-founder of the International Guoshu Association. Chao has been pioneering the research and revitalisation of traditional Chinese martial arts culture.

"By publishing this book, we have produced a systematic record of Hung Kuen and have taken the lead in preserving it," he said.

During the months of preparation, Chao said they took reference from the way that Japanese karate had been preserved, properly documented and published.

He plans books about other kung fu styles in future.

Chao, a student of Lam Chun-fai, said the government should support the preservation of South Chinese martial arts by listing it as a national intangible cultural heritage.

"Hong Kong is a unique city which has been witnessing the development of southern Chinese martial arts," said Chao. "It has the responsibility of passing it on to the next generations."

The manual will be launched next Wednesday at Western Market, Sheung Wan.

It will be available at all major book stores in Hong Kong at HK$299.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gung Ji Fuk Fu Kuen is one of the master key's to the Hung Gar I practice and teach. It gives you the shapes to be effective, the strategies to get a feel for what Hung Gar is, and the power and resilience to function in close.

The tiger is the mind (including the desire to give up or be lazy), and the set directs us to tame it and face unpleasantness. The prelude to learning this set is holding the sei ping ma for 30 minutes without moving while facing a wall.
    -Golden Arms-