Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is Gung Ji Fook Fu Kuen?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

what does everyone thing about the theory that gung ji fook fu is a combination of 18 luohan style and tiger style? is there any credence to that theory?

fook fu is the only form in common to village and Wong Fei Hung hung gar right?

Quote Originally Posted by taichi4eva View Post
    what does everyone thing about the theory that gung ji fook fu is a combination of 18 luohan style and tiger style? is there any credence to that theory?

fook fu is the only form in common to village and Wong Fei Hung hung gar right?
    It is the closest remnant to what came from Shaolin in Hung Kuen styles.
    It's the oldest set and is the foundation of Hung Kuen of pretty much all clans.
    Some schools split it in half, but it is still what it is. Old.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I believe it's the other way around-it was combined later by Lam Sai-Wing, into one set. The older versions are two separate sets.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Another thing I always wondered was why does the Lam Saiwing version do the foot shuffle before the up block, while in Tang Fong (Frank Yee) version, there is no foot shuffle. Any thoughts?

Check out my article on GJFFK here:

http://practicalhungkyun.com/2013/02...i-fuk-fu-kyun/
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I believe it's the other way around-it was combined later by Lam Sai-Wing, into one set. The older versions are two separate sets.
    Interesting.

Is this what happened for sure? Is there something that indicates that LSW did this?
    I wasn't aware of it being the other way round and had only in the last 10 years encountered information about schools that split the set.

Cheers n' Thanks!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

There were older versions, pre LSW. Dahn Gung Fook Fu, and Seurng Gung Fook Fu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUNB_S6U1Eg
    Last edited by TenTigers; 05-16-2013 at 12:38 PM.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

The issue with the "dwindling" popularity of Hung Kuen ( And according to some, TCMA in general) is a complex issue.
    I don't think it is because students don't like to work hard, go to any boxing, MT or MMA gym and you will find very hard workers, guys putting in serious hours.
    I think the issue is, in some regards, the people looking to fight well look for proven fighting methods and as such, base don the media, they will look to sport combat systems that have been proven over and over to be effective.
    What TCMA will attract will be those that are either looking, for whatever reason, a TMA in particular and those looking for a "kung fu" school.
    Typicaly these people are NOT looking to be fighters or even eat bitter, but wanna "do kung fu".
    HUng Kuen is, IMO, one of the best "core" MA you can do.
    It is a system that you can do as a "stand alone" for life or, if you find something more better suit to you, well have developed a core of fundamentals so well that it will translate well into anything else you may do.

That said, a HK sifu needs to know what market he is after and teach accordingly.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The issue with the "dwindling" popularity of Hung Kuen ( And according to some, TCMA in general) is a complex issue.
    I don't think it is because students don't like to work hard, go to any boxing, MT or MMA gym and you will find very hard workers, guys putting in serious hours.
    when I think back to my generation, we were all young, mostly kids and young teenagers, we all thought that there were secrets to be learned... we also thought that we had to work long hours, and put up with all sorts of stupid stuff to get those secrets....

That is the ONLY reason people put up with all the TCMA associated crap. And, of course, as the world changes it's mindset so goes those who are willing to put up with the crap
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

There IS more than one way to skin a cat....some of them are ok, and a few of them are amazing. For me it was more than worth the work, and I am still at it.

That being said, I have had plenty of experience with the "mo lum" in the USA as well and there is plenty of poor behavior and dishonesty at work on both sides of the equation with many of them.

I wouldn't go back and change it even though I have been burned a few times.
    -Golden Arms-

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I think the issue is, in some regards, the people looking to fight well look for proven fighting methods and as such, base don the media, they will look to sport combat systems that have been proven over and over to be effective.
    What TCMA will attract will be those that are either looking, for whatever reason, a TMA in particular and those looking for a "kung fu" school.
    Typicaly these people are NOT looking to be fighters or even eat bitter, but wanna "do kung fu".
    HUng Kuen is, IMO, one of the best "core" MA you can do.
    It is a system that you can do as a "stand alone" for life or, if you find something more better suit to you, well have developed a core of fundamentals so well that it will translate well into anything else you may do.

That said, a HK sifu needs to know what market he is after and teach accordingly.
    My current teacher (whose first art was hung gar and who still teaches it as one of his three foundation arts) simply calls what he does chinese boxing as he was fed up with the kind of students attracted to the name kung fu

My first master when he came over only taught a few short sets, one long power generation set and the rest of the class was hard sparring (unfortunately this was before my time, decades before) as his popularity grew and more and more students came to him he had to teach more and more forms, and make them longer and longer, water down the sparring to really light semi contact and introduce sticking hands etc because that’s what the new students wanted. Which was kind of ironic because what made the style name here in the UK was full contact and semi contact fighting in the days their weren’t much difference between the two. And the new guys looked at the fighters and said they weren’t using the style they were simply kick boxing….go figure. When I was still training in his style he would let the senior student teach the class and only really come alive when we did application work, or if some of us younger blacksashs would start sparring at the back of the class, he was never that interested when we drilled forms or did line work.......

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    when I think back to my generation, we were all young, mostly kids and young teenagers, we all thought that there were secrets to be learned... we also thought that we had to work long hours, and put up with all sorts of stupid stuff to get those secrets....

That is the ONLY reason people put up with all the TCMA associated crap. And, of course, as the world changes it's mindset so goes those who are willing to put up with the crap
    Yep, pretty much.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

does jow ga's siu fook fu and dai fook fu have any relation to hung ga's gung ji fuk fu?

Quote Originally Posted by taichi4eva View Post
    does jow ga's siu fook fu and dai fook fu have any relation to hung ga's gung ji fuk fu?
    certain technique and form names have always been "in fashion" while the actual sequences can be quite different,,,, look at CLF
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....