Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is Gung Ji Fook Fu Kuen?

The founders or HK were of course Buddhist and so they used many Buddhist terms in naming things poetically .So they would know the story of this particular arhat,and being that the set has many tiger claw techniques this name would be very appropriate.
    Taming the tiger would have the meaning of overcoming the wild inclinations of the mind that is the cause of the emotional afflictions.I have seen animals represented this way in Buddhism very often.Fer instanz pig-ignoranc snake-anger rooster-pride.In Tibetan Buddhism they talk about the mind being like a distracted monkey.
    The tiger would have the added conotation of the aspect of the mind that is very vicious and dangerous.
    First smooth,then fast.
    Smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    There were older versions, pre LSW. Dahn Gung Fook Fu, and Seurng Gung Fook Fu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUNB_S6U1Eg
    If you notice in this set there are not any techniques that is not in any of the other sets in HK .
    First smooth,then fast.
    Smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    "Gung Ji" refers to the pattern - and a play on words - "Do your Work, fella!"

"Fuk Fu" means to "beat a skillful fighter".

In Chinese, a "Tiger" is a "skillful fighter", whereas a "Dragon" is an "enigmatic" or "spiritual" person...

hope that helps!
    In the version that I do, the form is split, the 工子 part goes on floor in this 工 shape,but the 虎服 part don't really.
    I like the beat a skillfull fighter cause the fuhu part has more fighting self defence type stuff in it.There is some almost identical stuff that I learned in Krav Maga.
    First smooth,then fast.
    Smooth is fast.

What is Gung Ji Fook Fu Kuen ?

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    There's a vid if you follow the link.

Lam Chun Fai was on our 2002 March/April cover.
    Are you going to be selling the book & video on the merchandise section of your store website ?

Lance