Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Buddhist vs. Daoist

Blog Entries
    as far as spirituality is concerned:

labels...suck.

i remember hearing something like:
    religion is an extrodinairily awesome concept. unfortunately, man f*cked it all up by organizing it.

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

John 15:12 "This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you.
    John 15:13 "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.

Ever notice how there is some variation of this Law in every major religion?
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Originally posted by Water Dragon
    John 15:12 "This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you.
    John 15:13 "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.

It's the feel good law.

I've always liked the following variation-

'Be excellent to each other.... And party on dudes!'

Blog Entries

Its called Empathy ie putting yourself in someone elses shoes.

Its what the Buddhist are trying cultivate because it ultimately leads to Compassion ie relief of suffering.

It makes sense that if you see suffering and you see that as your own suffering then you will do something to help it.

If you see it as something different than yourself than you may or may not feel like you need to do something.

Why are Empathy and Compassion important?

Because they lead to a better world for humans and other creatures on all levels.

However, the Buddhists will also tell you that Empathy and Compassion must be tempered with Wisdom.

That is, sometimes you must be cruel to be kind. It is the motivation that is most important.

Hence, the paradox of martial arts and Buddhism is resolved.

If everyone was a Buddhist we'd have no reason to learn martial arts. But seeing as everyone is not and there will always be strife on some level we must learn to defend ourselves and those who cannot defend themselves.

That's my philosophy in a nutshell.....

Bro,
    He speaks to all of us, just not in the same way.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

yeah, He told me to go look for my knife
    its hard to meat without it
    Volcano has removed himself from this realm
    Account is hijacked, email is fake, password is unrememberable
    No im not drunk or sad

"cos im the TAXMAN!!
    yeah im the TAXMAAAN!!"

Originally posted by FngSaiYuk
    I don't like blind faith.
    Do you mean faith supported and touted without thought to the contents of the system and/or the opposition thereof, or faith maintained despite an overwhelming lack of proof in the system?

Me, I'm a Christian, I guess. I love Christ, He's my savior, but I don't adhere to the teachings of any one church or organization. I read my Bible ( I prefer the King James version) and meditate upon the lessons therein.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Bro,
    He speaks to all of us, just not in the same way.
    Water Dragon has taken the correct and offered it a clarion indulgence.

He is also quite right.

And, as an aside, Jesus could've kicked Buddha's @$$. Just look at His abs! They're ripped!
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

man, the real jesus was more like bin laden style looks
    shorter beard maybe

but he would just "turn the cheek" or some
    not that good on fights
    Volcano has removed himself from this realm
    Account is hijacked, email is fake, password is unrememberable
    No im not drunk or sad

"cos im the TAXMAN!!
    yeah im the TAXMAAAN!!"

Where to start?

To me, all representations of god, either in polytheistic or monotheistic religeons, are man's attempt at personifying god, bringing it within man's ability to understand god. God is beyond comprehention, that is why there are so many similar but various religeons. I like the way the Dali Lama put it when he said that 'love and compassion are the universal religeon'.

As for philosophy, you could say I'm an 'existential-budhi-taoist' whith just a touch of hedonism. Like Egg (from the movie 'Big Trouble in Little China') said, it's like a buffet, you take a little of what you want from each.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

lol @ the Jesus vs Buddha main event

Ch'an Buddhist myself, but I think we all have the right to practice or not what we chose. My 10 yr old daughter is greatly catholic ( thx to my father ) and I allow her to practiceand have her own beliefs. I even organise for her to go to church if she wants and speak freely with her about hers mine or the differences between philosophies and practice of each. We have a mutual respect this way and a nice spiritual intimacy and understanding. I think there is a place for all religion and belief.

practice what brings you peace and if kungfu is all that does that for you , work hard and do what brings you to your bliss.

That's a beautiful relationship that you have with your daughter.

Originally posted by blooming lotus
    lol @ the Jesus vs Buddha main event

Ch'an Buddhist myself, but I think we all have the right to practice or not what we chose. My 10 yr old daughter is greatly catholic ( thx to my father ) and I allow her to practiceand have her own beliefs. I even organise for her to go to church if she wants and speak freely with her about hers mine or the differences between philosophies and practice of each. We have a mutual respect this way and a nice spiritual intimacy and understanding. I think there is a place for all religion and belief.

practice what brings you peace and if kungfu is all that does that for you , work hard and do what brings you to your bliss.

That's this thread down the ****ter.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

But before Toby/cerebus arrive...

The only deep probelm I have with religion is with people who think their belief in an afterlife/salvation/a higher being somehow absolves them in any way for taking responsibility for their own action/lack thereof on earth. Which means, although I'm the ultimately tolerant (if you were to put a label on me...!) Anglo-christian-ethic-Pagan-animist-Buddhist-Taoist kind I would probably advocate armageddon against 90% of all Jews, Christians and Moslems. Especially those who support Bush, any of the mad mullahs, Sharon or fat people. If they can just keep the armageddon between themselves and leave the rest of us to fish, tend the herbs and get on with getting on.

Little bit of politics, a half-baked lefty rant a la Kung Lek's usual style... just pressed the flush handle...!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

I think you were looking for the chan thread if it was clarifcation on how that effects my world you wer after. I will say though that as a ch'an buddhist I am effected by changes of priority. Shaolin has three treasures its ' practioners cultivate,
    1. doctrine ( becomming familiar with and getting a perspective on writings by other practicioners on how to bring yourself into a state of ch'an awareness and stay there )
    2. gongfu ( because as a chan buddhist health is utmost and this personally is part of one of the best ways to cultivate that healthy body)
    3. Sangha ( community which (as having and cultivating universal awareness) the entire world becomes , and
    understanding impartially , making a contribution to and preservation and education of that world to the point where I'm now sub-conciously and in my concious daily life, geared toward little else.