Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Buddhist vs. Daoist

Vash,

Blind faith, in this context, would be acceptance without question. I can understand how the vast majority of people need something to believe in to live with care and purpose. Myself, I don't like to just believe something without it making sense. Basically, it needs to satisfy all my reasoning and logic and cannot contradict reality.

Yes, life and people are complex, so these subjects are equally complex - far more than a few posts could explore. Basically, as long as no one is harming anyone else (in the context of, extreme physical and emotional harm, unwanted physical and emotional harm, etc) things are cool and whatever belief system you live by is cool.

Originally posted by Mat
    The only deep probelm I have with religion is with people who think their belief in an afterlife/salvation/a higher being somehow absolves them in any way for taking responsibility for their own action/lack thereof on earth. [/B]
    BINGO! Whatever belief system one lives by, there must be responsibility for their actions, there must be acknowledgement and forethought for the consequences of their actions and there must be forethought and acknowledgement of their effect on their environment and those around them. Ultimately, everything we do affects everyone else, and so should consider the harm we may be subjecting others to.

Of course, again, life and people are complex, and as similiar as we all are, there are still quite enough differences between upgringing, belief systems, culture, etc. I say best thing is to just tolerate, provided no one is hurting anyone.

Originally posted by Mat
    But before Toby/cerebus arrive...

The only deep probelm I have with religion is with people who think their belief in an afterlife/salvation/a higher being somehow absolves them in any way for taking responsibility for their own action/lack thereof on earth.
    The Bible actually addresses this a lot. Read what the Word has to say about hipocrates and Pharisees. It's not a pretty picture.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Jesus the Taoist, Love your Neighbor...

Fu-Pow said "Its called Empathy ie putting yourself in someone elses shoes"

I would have to disagree a little bit. Most people miss the simple and profound nature of Love your neighbor as you love yourself, and its not just empathy. Actually it is one of the most taoist statements Jesus made.
    to paraphrase...
    If you truly love your neighbor as yourself, than you begin to put into practice the concept that as I and my father are one, you and I are one.
    If you are I are truly one, and I love you as I love myself,,,why would I ever lie to myself,,it makes no sense. Why would I harm or steal from myself? Why would I covit myself. We should begin to see that our actions upon others are as actions upon ourselves. (karma et. al.) This simple statement takes care of most of the ten comandements.
    We back that up with the #1 Love God above all, and follow it with #3 judge not lest the be judged.

Christians have the most basic message and they miss it. The esoterics of Christianity are meaningless untill we master these three simple comandments. Most do a fairly good job of the first one ( love God) we fall short of the second (love your neighbor...) and fail misserably on the third. (judge not)
    At a boy Luther!!!!

FngSaiYuk said "I say best thing is to just tolerate, provided no one is hurting anyone."

To follow my premise of Love thy neighbor. If your actions harm yourself they also harm me as well. Tolerance is an over used concept to basically allow people to do what ever they want whenever they want as long as "it doesnt harm anyone else" Rarely do we see the consiquences of our actions before we commit the action. But we have to balance this with Judge not.
    Only God has all the pieces of the information, only that which made you can know the thoughts in your heart, the path that lead you to a point, and thus only "I am" can truly judge.
    At a boy Luther!!!!

Taomonkey, I agree... and my previous posts support your statement on those who harm themselves. 'As long as it doesn't harm ANYONE' includes the self. Of course everything within reason -

Father Guido Sarducchi once told of a story that life is a job and we recieve payment for each days work, then at judgement we must "pay for our sins" Big sins like murder or adultry carry high prices but small sins like masturbation are only like $0.25
    Then if you have money left you can enter Heaven.

He feared that after the final talley he would be short a quarter.
    At a boy Luther!!!!

lol. Anyone got $ .50 I can borrow?

Greetings..

Upon close examination of the scriptures "omitted" from the commonly used text referred to as the Bible, the Gnostic Gospels.. we can see the enlightened Christ, a truly enlightened being.. but, that image and those teachings were counter to the best interests of an established religious system.. The portrayal of Jesus by the Gnostic Gospels has a decidedly Taoist flavor..

It is my personal belief that Jesus ascended to his birthright (Son of "God") upon his enlightenment.. his time with the Essenes (sp), his unaccounted time of his teens and twenties, are subject to speculation.. There are some credible accounts of travels to far away places.. but, it is at his baptism by John the Baptist, the "The Lord" spoke, "this is my Son.. in whom i am well pleased".. this, at a time consistent with a well traveled and learned Christ's enlightenment.. if one chooses to indulge their curiosities.. i sense that we are ALL "Sons (and Daughters) of God", Jesus simply had the awareness and will to claim his birthright.. and, he taught ancient Hebrews according to their customs and cultural beliefs (when in Rome do as the Romans do)..

Be well...
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Originally posted by Taomonkey
    Father Guido Sarducchi once told of a story that life is a job and we recieve payment for each days work, then at judgement we must "pay for our sins" Big sins like murder or adultry carry high prices but small sins like masturbation are only like $0.25
    Then if you have money left you can enter Heaven.

He feared that after the final talley he would be short a quarter.
    lol man
    Volcano has removed himself from this realm
    Account is hijacked, email is fake, password is unrememberable
    No im not drunk or sad

"cos im the TAXMAN!!
    yeah im the TAXMAAAN!!"

I am so excited to have finally found a place such as this, a place where people can share thoughts on religion without trying to proove who is right and who is wrong!

Yay for you guys!

I also believe that all religions are describing ONE God. That different prophets have come to bring people from different times and different cultures to God, and thats why they differ. I think that much is to gain by studying ALL religions BUT meditation is the KEY to ENLIGHTENMENT.

OR prayer. The request line, call up the, call up the line, its the request line.......

Peace

This is just one thread Gunnar, if you want to talk more religion within a fighting board, come here

Blog Entries

Re: Jesus the Taoist, Love your Neighbor...

Originally posted by Taomonkey
    Fu-Pow said "Its called Empathy ie putting yourself in someone elses shoes"

I would have to disagree a little bit. Most people miss the simple and profound nature of Love your neighbor as you love yourself, and its not just empathy. Actually it is one of the most taoist statements Jesus made.
    to paraphrase...
    If you truly love your neighbor as yourself, than you begin to put into practice the concept that as I and my father are one, you and I are one.
    If you are I are truly one, and I love you as I love myself,,,why would I ever lie to myself,,it makes no sense. Why would I harm or steal from myself? Why would I covit myself. We should begin to see that our actions upon others are as actions upon ourselves. (karma et. al.) This simple statement takes care of most of the ten comandements.
    We back that up with the #1 Love God above all, and follow it with #3 judge not lest the be judged.

Christians have the most basic message and they miss it. The esoterics of Christianity are meaningless untill we master these three simple comandments. Most do a fairly good job of the first one ( love God) we fall short of the second (love your neighbor...) and fail misserably on the third. (judge not)
    That's what I said.

Truth/Wisdom and Empathy/Compassion.

Love is too ambiguous of a word.

I "love" lots of things and in different ways and for different reasons.

Empathy and Compassion are more universal.

Or, for the selfish types - Karma - what you do affects everyone else and what everyone else does affects you (paraphrasing)- so you better be good for goodness sake!

Then again, there are always those that just enjoy having a crappy time and see everyone else have a crappy time ...

Hey guys check this out!

I have checked to see if some of this stuff pans out and it is kind of ify but you decide!
    http://www.forteantimes.com/articles...suseast1.shtml
    Gunnar