Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too Tall for Kung-Fu?

I don't know about that, but I'm too sexy for my shirt.

both guan gong

and chu ba wang: xiang yu

both are tall and strong.

one may wield a heavy guan dao.

the other may lift a heavy ding or ba wang jiu ding.

---

The only way that excessive size might inhibit your kung fu...

...you won't be able to find shoes in your size. We only carry Feiyues to 47 (12.5). Tiger Claw shoes go to 13. I have a few XXXL buddies who always complain that they can't find shoes.

Most uniforms go to size 8 (see Black interloop) which accommodates someone at 6' 5" but it will be baggy as they are cut pretty wide. You can get that taken in or let out at any seamstress place however. Or just make do with black sweats.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

How tall was Kareem abdul Jabbar?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonSeeksPath View Post
    Hey guys. I've always wanted to know this. I'm about 6'5, or 6'6''--last time I checked and a little slim. Will my height become a hindrance to Hung-Gar? There's a Kung-Fu school way out from where I live in South Carolina. Some of the guys I've seen are a bit shorter and might make it hard for me to spar them. Any thoughts?
    Size doesn't matter unless you want to do something that is super specialized. Some of the more artsy brands of animal kung fu might be difficult.

Being a big guy myself, there is a tendency of average-sized guys trying to impose their standards on you. For example, I have seen boxing coaches who would require a 260 lb man to work at the same pace as the 130 lb. guys. It just doesn't work. Now you don't want to be held to a low standard, but the instructor should understand that you are different.

A good instructor should also understand at your body type affords you particular strengths and weakness. They should be able to teach to that. If not, I would go elsewhere.

8 or 9 feet tall is too tall for kung fu.

but as you are only 6.5 or so, no big deal.

why would you think you're too tall to learn how to defend yourself and give someone a drubbing?

you don't think tallness automatically makes you need to use one way of doling out violence over another do you?

you can do what you like, it's a martial art. Not rocket science, not special, requires no special thinking but does require determination and training of the body.

Fighting is very simple. When people try to complicate it too much, they are lying to you and just trying to get your money or your loyalty or some stupid desire of theirs.

If someone presents you with a path, take it! Especially if you don't know where to go to begin with.

Fighting. It's for all shapes and sizes!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Hakim!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    How tall was Kareem abdul Jabbar?
    Height: 7-2 ▪ Weight: 225 lbs (NBA stats)
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by DragonSeeksPath View Post
    Hey guys. I've always wanted to know this. I'm about 6'5, or 6'6''--last time I checked and a little slim. Will my height become a hindrance to Hung-Gar? There's a Kung-Fu school way out from where I live in South Carolina. Some of the guys I've seen are a bit shorter and might make it hard for me to spar them. Any thoughts?
    Look what being tall did for Steven Segal. You can stay out of their effective range and pound them down. You should own the kwoon.
    Jackie Lee

crush them. they will be like gnats before you.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    crush them. they will be like gnats before you.
    hi bawang welcome back
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori