Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grand master fred spencer

Talking

Perhaps we just have the wrong idea! The performer has a formless horse, subtle and invisible waist and an incredible presence of genius. He has transformed a short arm form from a long arm one. his thirty years of kung fu living is WOW. its my misfortune that i did not look like this after so many years. Unfortunately I think the uniform is way over the top!!!

Blog Entries
    perhaps you are right. perhaps you are incorrect.

BUT!!!!

i have a question.....who dictated that CLF should look a certain way for it to be called CLF? is CLF nothing but long reaching movements? or are there inside and short handed movements found in there as well? hhhmmmmmm makes you wonder.

but i guess beauty is truly in the eyes of the beholder....and the gung fu i know and see it as is really pretty!!!! (and not meaning the eye pleasing aspect either).

all in all....the man didn't look half bad for being an older gentleman.....
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    How old is he? Yes, I agree. Kudos for anyone still banging it out. We've all seen superb athletes in their teens and twenties, but when they get past forties, fifties, sixties, and onwards, we should always stand up and take notice. What will we be like at that age? I give him alot of credit for that. I only wish he had retained more of his range of motion. Not just for performance sake, but for his overall health and longevity.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Blog Entries
    Well he has the flow of our hung sing...so to speak...but his hands resemble more of the chan family method than the way we do it.

Grand Master Spencer is a very kind man...with a great personality. He has to be over 50....my sifu is around 65 so he must be somewhere in there. you'll notice his movement is totally different than that of my sifu.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I'm 52, so I'm guessing he's in his 70's.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Blog Entries
    its quite possible

Clarifying age and version of CLF

Hi guys, I came across this thread and thought I would clarify a couple of things.

Fred Spencer is now in the upper 60's (about 66 or 67 I believe), but when he did that performance in the video he was in his late 30's (that performance was done in the 80's...about 30 years ago). So as far as the way he moves compared to his age...he should have been doing it much better...age cannot be an excuse there.

Also, in the 80's he was claiming to have studied with Jew Leong, and then later with Doc Fai Wong. He was never even introduced to the "Chan Family" version of things until the early 90's...and even then he only paid to have forms put on video and never trained or practiced with his then teacher Master Ng Fu Hang.

Again, at the time of the performance in that video, he would have only learned the Jew Leong or DFW version of CLF.

This was just to clarify points.

F.Y.I. Chan Family practitioners use long arms and techniques at the beginning levels, and then as they move to Intermediate and Advanced levels, the learn more 2nd gate and 3rd gate (medium range and short range) techniques.

Thank you!

Blog Entries
    Clarifying age and version of CLF
    Hi guys, I came across this thread and thought I would clarify a couple of things.

Fred Spencer is now in the upper 60's (about 66 or 67 I believe), but when he did that performance in the video he was in his late 30's (that performance was done in the 80's...about 30 years ago). So as far as the way he moves compared to his age...he should have been doing it much better...age cannot be an excuse there.

Also, in the 80's he was claiming to have studied with Jew Leong, and then later with Doc Fai Wong. He was never even introduced to the "Chan Family" version of things until the early 90's...and even then he only paid to have forms put on video and never trained or practiced with his then teacher Master Ng Fu Hang.

Again, at the time of the performance in that video, he would have only learned the Jew Leong or DFW version of CLF.

This was just to clarify points.

F.Y.I. Chan Family practitioners use long arms and techniques at the beginning levels, and then as they move to Intermediate and Advanced levels, the learn more 2nd gate and 3rd gate (medium range and short range) techniques.

Thank you!
    MASTER SPENCERS MOVEMENT IS FAR FROM BEING INDICATIVE OF THE LATE PROFESSOR JEW LEONG'S TEACHING.

THE SET SHOULD LOOK MORE LIKE THIS THAT WHAT YOU SEE HIM DO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwWPUhNZ5vo

Yes, that was a much better example of CLF. This showed not only power, but you can see he knew what he was doing in the form. So now anyone can compare the two and see the Spencer's version was just another example of empty kung fu.

Quote Originally Posted by DutchJenkins View Post
    Yep, that's sounds about right.