Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: which drills make you feel GREAT!?

I use the Makita drill. It is quick, efficient, and easier on the hands and wrist... it really packs a punch. It will knock out any other drill.

Up up down down left right left right B A Start.

I do that and I'm invincible.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out and release, or retain, depending. Repeat after 5 minutes or until painful dryness occurs.

Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out down and in, up and out and release, or retain, depending. Repeat after 5 minutes or until painful dryness occurs.

That looks like a 2 minute drill.

You better have some alternate drills to please the master.

Quote Originally Posted by kfson View Post
    That looks like a 2 minute drill.

You better have some alternate drills to please the master.
    sorry, no can do as I've already rolled over and gone to sleep.

Or I'm downstairs eating some cornflakes...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

1. I like to fall, for some reason. I particularly like a TWC kicking drill in which we do a high front kick, then retract the leg and fall back onto the thigh in a splits position. Good dynamic stretching and the way the dorsal part of the foot slows the descent to make it safe is just cool. I experience much the same thing when falling correctly after being thrown. Solo breakfall drills are tedious but being thrown by a partner is a blast.

2. Any Choy Lei Fat set or section drilled repeatedly because of the amazing sense of flow in the system. Continuous movement without pause corrects balance and frees the mind from focusing on single techniqes. It encourages a more adaptive strategy.

3. TWC Lohon Kyuhn, repeated three times or more. An exhilarating workout.

4. Attentive walking: circling a room, taking one...maybe two steps per minute. The focus is on balance and the sensation of the steps. The movement is continuous--no pauses allowed. Not as easy as it looks. Works the brain, but it really improves proprioception and provides a good break from the habit of thinking about stuff. Usually thought of as a Chan practice, but I learned this from a Tibetan teacher of the Kagyu school. Hard work but really refreshing.

5. Hei gung/qigong. I've been working lately on "opening" my upper back which was relatively stuck after years of concentrating too much on mid- and low-spine. The feedback/awareness I'm starting to get is blissful.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    1. I like to fall, for some reason. I particularly like a TWC kicking drill in which we do a high front kick, then retract the leg and fall back onto the thigh in a splits position. Good dynamic stretching and the way the dorsal part of the foot slows the descent to make it safe is just cool. I experience much the same thing when falling correctly after being thrown. Solo breakfall drills are tedious but being thrown by a partner is a blast.

2. Any Choy Lei Fat set or section drilled repeatedly because of the amazing sense of flow in the system. Continuous movement without pause corrects balance and frees the mind from focusing on single techniqes. It encourages a more adaptive strategy.

3. TWC Lohon Kyuhn, repeated three times or more. An exhilarating workout.

4. Attentive walking: circling a room, taking one...maybe two steps per minute. The focus is on balance and the sensation of the steps. The movement is continuous--no pauses allowed. Not as easy as it looks. Works the brain, but it really improves proprioception and provides a good break from the habit of thinking about stuff. Usually thought of as a Chan practice, but I learned this from a Tibetan teacher of the Kagyu school. Hard work but really refreshing.

5. Hei gung/qigong. I've been working lately on "opening" my upper back which was relatively stuck after years of concentrating too much on mid- and low-spine. The feedback/awareness I'm starting to get is blissful.
    YOu should try my drills instead. way more fun than all this...lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I'm in my early 50s.

I enjoy a personal workout of:
    1. 45 minutes of bodybuilding three times a week,
    2. Fast repetitions of one Praying Mantis form,
    3. Yang style Tai Ji Quan

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    YOu should try my drills instead. way more fun than all this...lol
    Nah. Too limited in scope and duration.
    jd
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

I just love the 2 man drills in Chow Gar SPM.

chy sau, doy chong, dan chong, the 5 directions drill, soc sau chong, gau choi chong etc and the sarm sup luk lin jer see 2 man fighting form.
    Pains, aches and bruises. I love it!

Did those the other night at training and I felt great.
    Tung Kong Hakka Chow Gar Naam Pai Tong Long

http://www.youtube.com/user/dmas5animals

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I thought Tabatas were 20 seconds on/10 seconds off, or does it only qualify you do it for just 4 minutes?
    yeah you have to stick to the 4 minutes apparently. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Those aren't Tabata's, they're HIIT's
    try so badly not to reply.......

Not to be anal retentive but Tabatas are HIGH Intensity HIIT !!
    The 20:10 protocol is the same, but the intensity level is much higher, around the 120% Vo2 max.
    Which basically means that IF you can do more then 1 set, you aren't doing Tabata's.
    However, for the vast majority, they way you do it is, in my view, far better.
    Oh f*ck it i cant help myself,

actually it was more like 170% of VO2 which means no one unless they are on a mechanically braked bicycle ergometer with a gun to their head is actually doing tabata ( the fact it was on a bike is so fecking important for so many reasons and is so overlooked by everyone who's on the tabata band wagon!)

Boxing is the original HIIT

Tabata Method

A popular regimen based on a 1996 study[2] uses 20 seconds of ultra-intense exercise (at 170% of VO2max) followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated continuously for 4 minutes (8 cycles). In the original study, athletes using this method trained 4 times per week, plus another day of steady-state training, and obtained gains similar to a group of athletes who did steady state (70% VO2max) training 5 times per week. The steady state group had a higher VO2max at the end (from 52 to 57 ml/kg/min), but the tabata group had started lower and gained more overall (from 48 to 55 ml/kg/min). Also, only the tabata group had gained anaerobic capacity benefits unlike the steady state group.

I stand corrected, it was 170% of the max
    yep id like to see anyone hit that doing bodyweight exercises, sprints or front squats

i used to get pumped up when i do forms or lift weights. but after i got my ass brutally beat in high school i always keep my ego in check and remind myself of that fight. i train to be strong and tuff and build character, not to feel good.

u guys are just feeling endorphin pump that u can get from any kind of cardio.

its an illusion. try keep exercising a few hours after that initial rush. u dont feel so good no mor. u wont be hearing the wong fei hong song in ur head after some real bitter training.
    Last edited by bawang; 11-27-2010 at 11:34 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC