Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Traditonal Versus Progressive Arts

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Definately stupidity because neither K1 nor that other fight are full rules MT. If boxing is superior why don't boxing champions transition and just use boxing?

In both cases a weak MT fighter was put against a boxer who was much better. In the second link, the boxer was wearing shin pads. Like I said, horrible kickboxing can be beaten by boxing. If the fights are matched equally that crap does not happen especially in full rules MT.

Boxing VS. Full Rules Muay Thai is nothing but a sideshow. If you really know MT we would not be having this conversation. The first clip shows a boxer who has transitioned to kickboxing not a boxer versus a kickboxing.

In the k1 fight, Choi Yong-Soo was throwing kicks so I think that he has brought kickboxing to a kickboxing match not boxing to a kickboxing match.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 02-03-2010 at 01:14 AM.

It's very clear by every post you have ever made that you have no clue about anything related to actual full-contact fighting.
    this coming from a guy who considers grappling matches "fights"
    LOLLOLOLOLOLOL

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

holy crap, does bodying shots broke your MT champion, a champion boxer whip his ass, heres the guide to being a mma fighter

1. hands = boxing
    2. legs = muay thai
    3. body = wresters
    4. and of course Bjj

thats about it. i mean if i was a young buck and wanted to be a mma fighter thats what i'll do.

Anyone with any sense knows that there are schools at the extreme and a gamut of schools on the continuum between those extremes.
    Duh ... so your thread focusing on only the two extremes would be pretty pointless then, wouldn't it?

"Overgeneralized" only in that all generalizations are overgeneralizations.
    OK, grammar nazi. You seem to agree, then, that you're pushing this barrow further than it's little rusty wheels will take it.

I am not going to spend an hour typing out qualifications because people can't get their mind around the short version.
    Your short version makes no sense, that's why no one can get their mind around it.

What makes you think that all traditional schools are a certain way either?
    I never said they were. They're your labels, not mine. Sheesh. I can go on about how your "traditional" label is just as inappropriate as your "progressive" one if you think I haven't given them equal time, or something.

Perhaps you should consider changing your screen name to arrogantwcguy. Not a lot of humility going on here.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

why don't boxing champions transition?
    It's an Olympic sport for amateurs, and, though that may change, it still pays better than MMA or MT for pros.
    Last edited by anerlich; 02-02-2010 at 07:43 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    It's an Olympic sport for amateurs, and, though that may change, it still pays better than MMA or MT for pros.
    Yea, but if you can make a quick 60 grand pounding chumps, why turn it down if boxing trumps kickboxing so thoroughly. That's a lot of money for a young boxing pro or journeyman.

I've edited my previous post. I was answering the part about why boxers don't transition. I have no opinion to share on the superiority or otherwise of anything -fighters win fights, not styles or rules.

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    I've edited my previous post. I was answering the part about why boxers don't transition. I have no opinion to share on the superiority or otherwise of anything -fighters win fights, not styles or rules.
    Why do you train bjj then if any ol' thing will work?

What's that got to do with why boxers stick with boxing?

I train BJJ because the internet forums are saner.

WC is only "more complicated" than boxing because it has so many "filler" techniques and training methods that don't translated well into fighting.

Boxing and MT are just as complicated, and probably more so, in terms of what works.
    There are more tools, techniques, attributes and tactics in WC, whether you like them or not.. To say WB which has FAR less (not necessarily a bad thing btw) is more complicated is to ignore what each art is about...and the meaning of what I wrote.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    this coming from a guy who considers grappling matches "fights"
    LOLLOLOLOLOLOL
    He really needs to pull his head out of his a$$. I think that he dreamed that he did some MT once, but it was actually PKA style kickboxing which is trumped by boxing. Forget the MT, if he knew his WC like he says that he does, this conversation would not be occurring.

Why do many of those guys have traditional backgrounds? Because if you started off as a kid, those were the types of programs your parents put you in. Most fighters, cr@ppy and good, had some kind of karate or kung fu training as kids.
    Bingo well pointed out, Bas started in karate but moved to Thai very early and this is the art he uses to fight with, saying its because of the traditional art he trained in as a kick is silly

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    He really needs to pull his head out of his a$$. I think that he dreamed that he did some MT once, but it was actually PKA style kickboxing which is trumped by boxing. Forget the MT, if he knew his WC like he says that he does, this conversation would not be occurring.
    i personally couldnt make out any known stand up style in his play match that was caught on tape

bit of drunken monkey here and there and some stanky leg thrown in for good measure butme thinks his striking experience is grossly exaggerated

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Bingo well pointed out, Bas started in karate but moved to Thai very early and this is the art he uses to fight with, saying its because of the traditional art he trained in as a kick is silly
    funny ive heard him giv alot of credit to kk karate he even claimed he still did kata when he was fighting

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    If that style of training is wholesale crap then there should be no reason why the list of people who started in traditional arts is also a list of standouts. It should provide no advantage.
    It does not prove that training in a traditional arts provides any advantage if it did the following who never trained a traditioanl art would not have been good fighters

ernesto hoost
    Remy Bonjasky
    Cro Cop
    Wanderi
    the Rua brothers

All never seen a traditional martial art all started in kick boxing or Thai, so your point is exaclty?