Thread: Sumo

Hybrid View

Sumo & Taiko game

Pro sumo wrestler walks into Japanese arcade, shows off amazing rhythm game drum skills【Video】
    Casey Baseel 5 hours ago

You won’t want to take this guy on in the ring or at the arcade.

In sumo wrestling, tradition and pageantry are given as much importance as the bouts themselves. After all, it’s a sport with a history that stretches back hundreds of years, having not only deep cultural roots, but religious ones as well.

But while sumo wrestling itself may be centuries-old, sumo wrestlers are predominantly young men. As such, they’re not immune to the appeal of modern hobbies. Take, for example, this video shared by professional sumo wrestler Masakatsu Ishiura of 18-year-old Shou Tanikawayama, a younger sumo wrestler attached to the same training stable as Ishihura and apparently a master of arcade game Taiko no Tatsujin (also known as Taiko: Drum Master).

Follow
    石浦将勝
    ‏@ghetto_stone
    谷川山 a.k.a drum killa

RETWEETS 16,942
    LIKES 13,047
    AzureFenixラットルTimE†F⁂A‡NのN担当.みけジーコJPN監督toこんぶtetuいっ ちー
    8:17 AM - 14 Jul 2016
    In case you’ve never had the opportunity to play an installment in the long-running franchise from Bandai Namco, Taiko no Tatsujin is a musical rhythm game using a model of a taiko, or traditional Japanese drum. Giving the instrument involved, Taiko no Tatsujin’s gameplay is closer to the real deal than what you get with the simplified musical instrument of Guitar Hero or DJ simulator Beatmania’s mockup turntable.

Nevertheless, the 135.6-kilogram (298.3-pound) Tanikawayama fearlessly choses to play the game’s “Yawaraka Sensha” on the hardest difficulty, Oni (“Demon”) Level. Showing off the surprising quickness and coordination that belies sumo wrestlers’ large bodies, he pounds and pounds at the drums, and while his performance isn’t perfect, it’s close enough to make us think if Tanikawayama’s sumo career doesn’t pan out, he just might have a future as a drummer instead.

Source: IT Media
    Top image: Twitter/@ghetto_stone
    Taiko no Tatsujin is a cool looking game. Better than Guitar Hero. You gotta follow the twitter link above to see it.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Major bummer

This was last weekend and I totally missed it.

Sumo Champions Exhibition

The Japan Center Malls and the Japantown Merchants Association invite you to join us for the 5th Annual Sumo Champions Exhibition in the Japantown Peace Plaza. Sumo is an ancient Japanese tradition and martial art and we’re bringing it to San Francisco for FREE. Join us (and bring the family) to meet real Sumo Wrestlers, learn about life as a Sumo, and watch live matches.

The matches will feature the following wrestlers:

 Byamba, 6’1”, 370 lbs, 4-time World Sumo Champion

 Yama, 6’4”, 600 lbs, 2-time World Sumo Champion. Heaviest Japanese human

being in History!

 Roy, 6’5”, 380 lbs, 2-time US Sumo Champion

 Ramy, 6’3”, 500 lbs. African Sumo Champion

The Japan Center Malls and the adjacent blocks of Japantown are home to scores of unique shops and restaurants that provide a wonderful opportunity for visitors and locals alike to explore and experience the customs and culture of Japan right in the heart of San Francisco. This event is FREE and is made possible with support from The Japan Center Malls and the Japantown Merchants Association.

Saturday, September 10

5:00 PM: Meet and Greet (No Matches)

Sunday, September 11

12:00 PM, 2:00 PM & 4:00 PM: Live Matches

Free and open to the public

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest sweepstakes!

Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for Sumo for Mixed Martial Arts Autographed by author Andrew Zerling! Contest ends 5:30 p.m. PST on 1/19/2017.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our winners are announced!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

72nd Yokozuna named!

Congratulations to Kisenosato!

Sumo: Kisenosato formally promoted as sumo's 72nd yokozuna
    January 25, 2017 (Mainichi Japan)

Kisenosato, left, is seen during a ceremony crowning him the top sumo rank of yokozuna, in Tokyo's Chiyoda Ward on Jan. 25, 2017. (Mainichi)
    TOKYO (Kyodo) -- Kisenosato officially became the 72nd grand champion in sumo history on Wednesday after the Japan Sumo Association finalized his promotion at its executive committee meeting.

JSA executives rubber-stamped the promotion of the 30-year-old Kisenosato based on the recommendation unanimously made Monday by members of the Yokozuna Deliberation Council, an advisory body to the association, after he won his maiden title at the New Year Grand Sumo Tournament.

"I accept (the promotion) with great humility. I will devote myself and try not to disgrace the yokozuna name," Kisenosato said in a formal ceremony to notify him of his promotion.

"I want to be even more focused," he said after the ceremony. "I have grown also as a person and I want to become a yokozuna that is respected."

"I have to be conscious (of my position) and winning the championship title at the next tournament (is my next goal)," he said.

Kisenosato becomes the first Japanese wrestler to be promoted to sumo's top rank of grand champion since Wakanohana in 1998.

Kisenosato won his first championship title on Sunday with a 14-1 mark.

Eight of the last nine yokozuna secured promotion by winning their preceding two tournaments. Mongolian Kakuryu, the last to be promoted to yokozuna ahead of the May 2014 meet, lost in a playoff that January despite finishing 14-1, but won the title in March.

So often accused of being mentally fragile, Kisenosato has finished second-best at a meet 12 times. After Kotoshokigu and Goeido captured their first titles last year, Kisenosato had become the only Japanese ozeki not to have won a trophy.

But Kisenosato found consistency and finally came into his own in 2016, becoming the first wrestler to win the most bouts in a season without winning a single title.

"I feel grateful to all the people that have helped me," said Kisenosato, who paid tribute to his late stablemaster Naruto.

"If I had not met my former trainer I would not have got to where I have now," he said. "I have nothing but gratitude."

Mongolian Kakuryu was the last wrestler promoted to yokozuna in 2014.

There will now be four wrestlers fighting as yokozuna for the first time in 17 years at the Spring meet in March.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ethno-sport?

This author makes a good point. I remember seeing similar racism in Kendo. One of my Kendo sensei was a dreadlock, and he wasn't allowed to advance unless he cut his dreads, but that was just the excuse.

If only Sumo would go Olympic.

Newly promoted sumo grand champion Kisenosato, wearing a ceremonial belly band, performs a sacred ring-entering ritual at Meiji Shrine in Tokyo on Jan. 27. | KYODO VIA REUTERS

ISSUES | JUST BE CAUSE
    Media outside Japan must stop normalizing sumo as an ethno-sport
    BY DEBITO ARUDOU
    SPECIAL TO THE JAPAN TIMES
    FEB 19, 2017

I know that by now this is old news (blame press holidays and timely Trump articles), but congratulations to Kisenosato for ascending to yokozuna, sumo wrestling’s highest rank, last month. After all your efforts, well done.

So what does JBC have to say about it? Nothing to diminish that achievement, of course. But let’s consider how the event echoed overseas. Here are some headlines from prominent news outlets:

BBC: “Japan gets first sumo champion in 19 years.”

The Washington Post: “After 19 long years, Japan has a grand champion of sumo once again.”

The New York Times: “For the first time in years, Japan boasts a sumo grand champion.”

The Guardian: “Kisenosato becomes Japan’s first homegrown sumo champion in 19 years.”

Even our own Japan Times: “Kisenosato becomes first Japanese-born yokozuna in almost two decades.”

Hmm. At least three of those headlines make it seem like Japan hasn’t had a Japanese yokozuna — or any yokozuna — for nearly two decades.

That’s false. We’ve had five yokozuna (Musashimaru, Asashoryu, Hakuho, Harumafuji and Kakuryu) since 1998. Perhaps they’re referring to the fact that the last four champions have been Mongolian, not Japanese. But that means they don’t count? And what about Musashimaru? He’s a naturalized Japanese, and was one (as The Japan Times duly noted) when he became yokozuna in 1999.

So he’s not counted because he’s not a “real” Japanese? Apparently. That’s why the JT and Guardian slipped in qualifiers like “Japan-born.” As if that matters. It shouldn’t. Except to racists.

And it matters in Japan because of the embedded racism of the sport. Consider the fact that not so long ago, the Japan Sumo Association (JSA) overtly denied the yokozuna rank to foreigners, no matter how well they did, for expressly racist reasons. They even thwarted former American wrestler Konishiki, who said just that to The New York Times in 1992.

And what were those reasons? Officials claimed foreign wrestlers lacked the requisite “aura of dignity” (hinkaku) that only Japanese mystically have.

Fortunately, that mysticism was soon dispelled by talent (not to mention embarrassment caused by the NYT). By 1993, Hawaiian wrestler Akebono had made his promotion undeniable, becoming Japan’s first foreign-born yokozuna. He was joined by another in 1999, then two more in 2003 and 2007.

Oh, snap, said the JSA. That’s why they put a cap on things in 2010, limiting sumo training stables to one foreign wrestler each. And just to fortify the racism, they stipulated that even naturalized Japanese (in violation of the Nationality Law) were also to be deemed “foreign” and limited!

Yet that “homegrown” advantage is being overturned nonetheless. Another foreigner was yokozuna-ed in 2012, and again in 2014. And even though foreign nationals have traditionally totaled only 7 to 8 percent of sumo’s 600 professional wrestlers, they made up 30 percent of the top-ranked grapplers in 2013.

And having that much foreign talent overcome numerous obstacles and achieve success on an already uneven playing field is a bad thing?

Well, according to Japanese media, it is. News outlets and pundits have been hankering for a “real” Japanese to become a grand champion for years, wailing that somehow sumo has “lost something” because it’s been “dominated” by foreigners. Even though, remember, 92 percent of sumo pros are still “homegrown.” Maybe they should ganbaru (try harder) like only “real” Japanese mystically can.

Well, Kisenosato did. Good. But the problem is not that his win became big international news, it’s that sumo’s prevailing racist attitudes did not. Because foreign reporters seem to have bought into the racism.

Doubtful? Let’s read beyond their aforementioned headlines:

Guardian: “His addition to the yokozuna ranks is also expected to help improve sumo’s image, after a decade in which it has been rocked by a series of scandals, including bullying, drug taking and allegations of match fixing.”

The implication is that a respected yokozuna can’t improve sumo’s image if he’s foreign. However, remember that sumo’s scandals are self-inflicted — almost always caused by the “real” Japanese (despite the JSA’s scapegoating of Mongolian yokozuna Asashoryu until he quit; see Zeit Gist, Sept. 4, 2007).

NYT: “But sumo’s reputation has suffered in recent years because of a series of gambling and match-fixing scandals, and foreign wrestlers, mainly from Eastern Europe and Mongolia, have increasingly dominated its top ranks.”

A simple parsing suggests that sumo’s reputation has suffered because foreign wrestlers dominate.

Washington Post: “Japan’s national sport has been in decline in recent years, partly the result of a generational shift towards sports like baseball, partly because of the health issues associated with the heft needed to wrestle, and partly because of the increasing dominance of foreigners.”

So sumo has “declined” because foreigners to do well at it, despite all the hurdles put before them? How unsportsmanlike an attitude is that?

NYT: “Sports fans in Japan had been living with a harsh reality for years: Sumo wrestling, a quintessential Japanese pastime that is increasingly dominated by foreign stars, lacked a native-born champion of the highest order.”

BBC: “Japan has formally named its first home-grown sumo grand champion in almost two decades, in a boost to the traditional wrestling sport.”

Ah yes, I was looking for that — the word “traditional.” It makes sumo seem somehow sacred: not just a sport — an ethno-sport. A sport that “homegrown” blood-Japanese must “dominate,” or else the “tradition” of an allegedly “quintessential Japanese pastime” (one that few Japanese actually play, or watch beyond top-league broadcasts) has been violated?

The “harsh reality” is that the foreign media has internalized and legitimized the racism just because it’s from Japan. Imagine another country that founded a sport (or claims it as its national sport) lamenting that foreigners are winning at it. Like baseball, where other countries have beaten American teams. Or England claiming that soccer, cricket, tennis or rugby have gone to the dogs whenever it doesn’t win a world championship?

Perhaps you might counter that sumo is in fact an ethno-sport, and who can blame Japan for wanting to keep it “Japanese”? Then why has the Sumo Association repeatedly tried to make it into a worldwide Olympic event?

Consider that judo (another international sport that originated in Japan) is also apparently “dominated” by foreigners, according to Olympic medal counts. Has judo’s reputation “suffered” for this?

Only in the eyes of racists, such as Shintaro Ishihara, who, in a regular news conference as Tokyo governor in 2012, called foreign judoka “beasts” (kemono), and said, “An internationalized judo has lost its exquisite charms” (daigo).

Again, where was the international reporting on that? And that’s the point of this column.

One reason why Japan keeps getting a free pass on its racism is that it’s not talked about overtly — or, for that matter, even called “racism” at all. In Japan, that’s shameful. But overseas — where exposure embarrasses Japan’s racists (who would rather keep things “in the family”) — that’s hypocritical. These reporters wouldn’t dare make these claims if they were talking about unfair play in their countries of origin.

That’s why foreign correspondents should not pander to stereotypes, passing overt racism off as “tradition” practiced by those mystical, hidebound, inscrutable Japanese. Embedding these attitudes for export cloaks Japan from the regular dynamics of sportsmanlike conduct that prevail elsewhere.

So here’s a suggestion: How about reporting on the widespread lack of fairness within Japanese sporting events and leagues? Many of which (such as the ekiden races or the National Sports Festival of Japan (Kokutai)) are specifically designed so that foreign athletes cannot participate. Or if they can, these events are tilted so Japanese will win.

Or how about heralding the talented foreign heroes who have overcome the unfair hurdles?

Don’t get me wrong. If you want to report that Kisenosato’s promotion is big news in Japan, and Japan’s media and public have long been rooting for a homegrown hero to finally make the grade, fine. That has happened, and that is news.

But play fair. Don’t validate racists like Ishihara and the JSA. By insinuating that foreign athletes have been spoiling the sport, you’ve done a great disservice to all the wrestlers who have beaten the odds only for their feats to go unreported.

Debito’s latest book, “Embedded Racism: Japan’s Visible Minorities and Racial Discrimination,” is out now. Twitter @arudoudebito. Your comments and story ideas: community@japantimes.co.jp
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Beckham & All Stars football team VS SUMOS

This is old but new to me.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips