Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sumo

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Kansuke View Post
    You should keep up on it. Some very interesting developments in the pro ranks lately.
    Hmmmm, I may just do that.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    ...Sumo...is a devastating MA, even in its very restricted sport form.
    Especially when they fall into/on to the audience!

Well, that's it. Asashoryu, one of the greatest Yokozuna in modern times has been forced into early retirement for his recent assault against an acquaintance at a bar in a drunken rage.

He more than had it coming, but it's too bad as he was a great rikishi.

Well, that's it. Asashoryu, one of the greatest Yokozuna in modern times has been forced into early retirement for his recent assault against an acquaintance at a bar in a drunken rage.

from an article on it:

"Despite his ignominious exit, Asashoryu will go down as one of the greatest wrestlers in sumo's 2,000-year history. He has won 25 Emperor's Cups, second only to Taiho with 32, and Chiyonofuji with 31."

ummm, wouldn't that make him third to Taiho?

anyway, full article here

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    from an article on it:

"Despite his ignominious exit, Asashoryu will go down as one of the greatest wrestlers in sumo's 2,000-year history. He has won 25 Emperor's Cups, second only to Taiho with 32, and Chiyonofuji with 31."

ummm, wouldn't that make him third to Taiho?

anyway, full article here

I'm a JOURNALIST not a MATHEMATICIAN!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    I'm a JOURNALIST not a MATHEMATICIAN!!!!
    you mean you are not in new england politics??

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    you mean you are not in new england politics??
    Oh Yeah!! I am POLITICIAN, not a JOURNALIST OR A MATHEMATICIAN!!!!!

I recently began training sumo. my first competition will be in June. awesome art. until now I thought it was merely a lot of pushing, but the tactics are pretty much judo with no gi and striking is allowed. matches are fast, hard and typically over in less than a minute -kind of sounds like a street fight.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    I recently began training sumo. my first competition will be in June. awesome art. until now I thought it was merely a lot of pushing, but the tactics are pretty much judo with no gi and striking is allowed. matches are fast, hard and typically over in less than a minute -kind of sounds like a street fight.
    how did your comp go?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

ouch

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Sumo humor

who knew?

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

sumo ROCKS!

I'd love to see these guys on a double bill with BabyMetal

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hakuho!

6:11 pm JST Jan 23, 2015 Sports
    Sumo Yokozuna Hakuho Breaks All-Time Championship Win Record
    By Jun Hongo

Mongolian-born sumo grand champion Hakuho (right) performs a ring-entering ceremony at Meiji Shrine in Tokyo on Jan. 7.
    Agence France-Presse/Getty Images

Sumo grand champion Hakuho broke the all-time tournament win record Friday, clinching his 33rd trophy after winning his bout against Kisenosato.

The match was too close to call the first time around as the wrestlers tumbled out of the ring together and landed at almost exactly the same moment. Referees called for a rematch, and this time Hakuho pushed his opponent out of the ring.

The 29-year-old has maintained a perfect record in the 15-day tournament that began on Jan. 11 and is now 13-0. There are two days still left, but all the other wrestlers competing have at least three losses.

By winning his 33rd tournament, Hakuho put himself one championship ahead of the late Taiho, the legendary yokozuna from the 1960s.

Hakuho started the year tied with Taiho with 32 tournament wins, but it was widely considered a matter of time until he became the sole record holder. He had won five of the six tournaments in 2014 and nine of the past twelve. Harumafuji has the second most championship wins among active sumo wrestlers with six.

Hakuho, who is 192 centimeters (6 feet, 3 inches) tall and weighs 157 kilograms (346 pounds), arrived in Japan from Mongolia in 2000. He was named yokozuna, the highest rank for a sumo wrestler, in 2007, and had an overall record of 880 wins and 186 losses at the beginning of the current tournament.

Taiho was born to an Ukranian father and a Japanese mother on the Russian island of Sakhalin in May 1940. He made his sumo debut in 1956 and became a yokozuna in 1961. He won 872 bouts and lost 182 before retiring in 1971. He died on Jan. 19, 2013, at age 72.

A Mongolian. Congrats!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A Sumotori in a drunken rage?
    That's crazy talk !!
    LOL !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Sumo scandal

This first one has vid.
    Sumo 'stables' searched in Japan probe
    By the CNN Wire Staff
    July 7, 2010 10:05 a.m. EDT
    Sumo 'stables' searched in Japan probe

Tokyo, Japan (CNN) -- Tokyo Metropolitan Police on Wednesday searched sumo training facilities, or stables, as they continue to gather evidence on a widespread gambling scandal that has tarnished Japan's national sport.

Police searched the Onomatsu stable in Chiba prefecture -- the training base of 34-year-old wrestler Ozeki Kotomitsuki who admitted to illegally gambling on professional baseball games -- and the Tokitsukaze stable in Tokyo.

The scandal has rocked sumo wrestling in Japan, where national identity is closely linked to the sport and where top wrestlers can become national heroes.

On Sunday, the Japan Sumo Association dismissed Kotomitsuki and his stable master -- or coach -- Otake.

In addition, Japan's national broadcaster NHK decided that it will not broadcast live the next tournament, scheduled for Sunday. It is the first time in 57 years that NHK will not carry the competition live.

The sumo association has sought to repair the damage. The association's chairman said on the association website that the situation is "unprecedented and critical." He also promised to try to "regain the fan's confidence ... as soon as possible."
    Japan police raid sumo stables over gambling scandal

(AFP) – 12 hours ago

TOKYO — Japanese police raided two sumo stables Wednesday, seeking evidence in their probe of a gambling scandal linked to yakuza crime groups which has rocked the nation's ancient sport.

Police officers in dark suits walked into the Onomatsu and Tokitsukaze stables in Tokyo, where wrestlers have been involved in illegal gambling on baseball games and other sports, footage by public broadcaster NHK showed.

The police were expected to raid some 30 locations linked to the sumo world, including other stables, where wrestlers live and train.

The Japan Sumo Association has admitted that scores of wrestlers had gambled illegally and banned more than 10 from the next tournament starting Sunday in the central city of Nagoya.

Betting in Japan is permitted only on horse racing and certain motor sports.

The association has fired wrestler Kotomitsuki, 34, a high-ranking "ozeki" second only to "yokozuna" grand champions, along with his stablemaster Otake, 42, for taking part in illegal gambling on baseball.

The scandal has shocked the Japanese public, which expects sumo wrestlers and their masters to act as role models.

Japan's state broadcaster NHK, furious over the scandals, said Tuesday it will not air an upcoming sumo tournament, the first time it has scrapped the broadcast since they began in 1953.

Police last month arrested a former wrestler-turned-gangster, Mitsutomo Furuichi, 38, on extortion charges after he had allegedly blackmailed Kotomitsuki, threatening to expose his gambling.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips