Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sumo

Sumo was just recovering from all the scandals of recent years, and now this...

This is big ... Black sox big, despite the practice being an Ill-kept secret.

I'd be suprised if Sumo didnt have fixed fights, betting and its share of dirty secrets and scandals. Sumo is OLD! All sports have their fair share.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I recently began training sumo. my first competition will be in June. awesome art. until now I thought it was merely a lot of pushing, but the tactics are pretty much judo with no gi and striking is allowed. matches are fast, hard and typically over in less than a minute -kind of sounds like a street fight.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

420 lb body slam

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    I recently began training sumo. my first competition will be in June. awesome art. until now I thought it was merely a lot of pushing, but the tactics are pretty much judo with no gi and striking is allowed. matches are fast, hard and typically over in less than a minute -kind of sounds like a street fight.
    how did your comp go?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

ouch

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

um...

Special photo booths let you pose with sumo wrestlers without having to strap on a loincloth
    Casey Baseel 3 days ago

Should your visit to Tokyo coincide with a sumo tournament being held in the city, you really owe it to yourself to see the sport in person. Tickets are reasonably priced, the matches are fast-paced and showcase a surprisingly large variety of techniques (many similar to those of offensive linemen in football), and there’s really no way to properly convey the amazing controlled ferocity through a television screen. Best of all, the arena is compact enough that even the cheap seats provide a good view of the action.

And in case you need an added incentive, the venue is now home to two special sticker picture booths, where a little digital photo manipulation allows you to take a snapshot with your favorite sumo wrestler.

As we said, the Kokugikan, Tokyo’s sumo arena in the Ryogoku neighborhood, is intimately sized enough to give spectators plenty of chances to see the competitors, called rikishi, up-close and personal. Still, the big boys are here to slap each other around, not snap pictures with the fans, so it’s unlikely you’ll get the chance to talk one of the sports more prominent figures into taking the time to pose with you.

Instead, visitors to the Kokugikan can make use of two purikura machines, the photo sticker booths that are a mainstay of Japanese video game arcades and entertainment centers. Each machine is loaded with images of the 42 wrestlers of sumo’s top division, the makuuchi.

▼ One of the machines

The Japan Sumo Association showcased the machines through its official Twitter account, with former rikishi and current sumo coach Asakayama demonstrating as he took what he says is his first set of purikura in 20 years.

▼ No, the booth isn’t small. Asakayama is just big.

One round of purikura costs 500 yen (US$4.80), for which shutterbugs get to choose two rikishi to pose with. As has become standard, the machines are operated by touch screens, and after snapping the photo users can add stamps and other decorations.

Asakayama’s first selection was the 23-year-old rising star Endo.

The retired wrestler showed a bit of favoritism with his second choice, posing inside a frame with personal friend Aminishiki, whom Asakayama affectionately calls Ami-tan.

Both machines can be found on the second floor of the stadium. For those of you worried about using up all your stickers, fear not, as a digital copy of the photos can also be sent to your mobile phone for safekeeping.

Stadium information:
    Ryogoku Kokugikan / 両国国技館
    Address: Tokyo-to, Sumida-ku, Yokoami 1-3-28
    〒130-0015 東京都墨田区横網1−3−28
    There's a arcade of these Japanese photo machines in the Japantown Kinokuniya mall in S.F. I find it daunting personally as it seems expensive for what you get. But if this machine showed up there, perhaps I'd brave it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

female sumo

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

お誕生日おめでとうございます 鶴竜 力三郎 - Happy 29th Birthday Kakuryū Rikisaburō!!

Posted over the weekend to my site and didn't get a chance to post here:

お誕生日おめでとうございます 鶴竜 力三郎 - Happy 29th Birthday Kakuryū Rikisaburō!!

Kakuryū is the 71st Sumo Yokozuna. He is the the fourth Mongolian to do so and the sixth foreign-born yokozuna.

Posted some of his matches as well as a highlights clip in his honor! Enjoy!

http://www.stickgrappler.net/2014/08...ikisaburo.html

Sumo humor

who knew?

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

sumo ROCKS!

I'd love to see these guys on a double bill with BabyMetal

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hakuho!

6:11 pm JST Jan 23, 2015 Sports
    Sumo Yokozuna Hakuho Breaks All-Time Championship Win Record
    By Jun Hongo

Mongolian-born sumo grand champion Hakuho (right) performs a ring-entering ceremony at Meiji Shrine in Tokyo on Jan. 7.
    Agence France-Presse/Getty Images

Sumo grand champion Hakuho broke the all-time tournament win record Friday, clinching his 33rd trophy after winning his bout against Kisenosato.

The match was too close to call the first time around as the wrestlers tumbled out of the ring together and landed at almost exactly the same moment. Referees called for a rematch, and this time Hakuho pushed his opponent out of the ring.

The 29-year-old has maintained a perfect record in the 15-day tournament that began on Jan. 11 and is now 13-0. There are two days still left, but all the other wrestlers competing have at least three losses.

By winning his 33rd tournament, Hakuho put himself one championship ahead of the late Taiho, the legendary yokozuna from the 1960s.

Hakuho started the year tied with Taiho with 32 tournament wins, but it was widely considered a matter of time until he became the sole record holder. He had won five of the six tournaments in 2014 and nine of the past twelve. Harumafuji has the second most championship wins among active sumo wrestlers with six.

Hakuho, who is 192 centimeters (6 feet, 3 inches) tall and weighs 157 kilograms (346 pounds), arrived in Japan from Mongolia in 2000. He was named yokozuna, the highest rank for a sumo wrestler, in 2007, and had an overall record of 880 wins and 186 losses at the beginning of the current tournament.

Taiho was born to an Ukranian father and a Japanese mother on the Russian island of Sakhalin in May 1940. He made his sumo debut in 1956 and became a yokozuna in 1961. He won 872 bouts and lost 182 before retiring in 1971. He died on Jan. 19, 2013, at age 72.

A Mongolian. Congrats!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

In today's SF Chron

Shame I didn't hear about this earlier. I'd have loved to grab a selfie with a Sumo champ.

More pix if you follow the link.

Grappling with what to ask 2 famous Japanese sumo wrestlers

By Tony Bravo Updated 4:29 pm, Sunday, April 19, 2015

People with the Asian Art Museum, retired sumo wrestlers Yamamotoyama Ryuta (AKA: Yama) and Ulambayaryn Byambajav (AKA: Byamba) along with founder of USA Sumo, Andrew F. Freund have lunch in Japanese Inner Sunset restaurant Nabe in San Francisco, Calif., Saturday April 18, 2015. Photo: Sophia Germer, The Chronicle

Photo: Sophia Germer, The Chronicle
    Image 1 of 10

The Inner Sunset eatery Nabe is known for serving chankonabe, the hot pot stew famously consumed by Japan’s sumo wrestlers, but the restaurant never played host to any of the culturally revered athletes before Saturday.

“We’re trying to make sure there’s enough ... space for everybody,” assistant manager Kevin Kim said a few minutes before the arrival of Byambajav Ulambayar, known in the sumo world as Byamba, and Ryuichi Yamamoto, known as Yama, for lunch with a group from the Asian Art Museum.

The pair of world champion sumos were in town from Los Angeles for a demonstration of their 2,000-year-old sport at the museum’s One Night in Tokyo fundraiser the evening prior in conjunction with the current exhibition “Seduction: Japan’s Floating World.” Wendy and Richard Yorke were the lucky raffle winners of a lunch date with the wrestlers and USA Sumo director Andrew F. Freund (who also interpreted): They invited friends Alicia Chang, Juliet and Chip Bergh and Helina and Yat-Pang Au to join them.

“The agility of their bodies and incredible feats of athleticism have always fascinated me,” said Yorke, who watched broadcasts of sumo matches growing up in his native England. “Seeing the demonstration last night, I realize that in many ways it (sumo) tells the story of the culture of Japan.”

After most of their lives as sumos, Byamba and Yama are used to being in the public eye and seem especially used to fascination with their diets and size. Mongolian-born Byamba is 6 feet, 1 inch and weighs in at 370 pounds, Yama is considered the heaviest Japanese person in history at 6 feet, 4 inches and 600 pounds. The wrestlers, both 30, eat two big meals a day, forgoing breakfast because of their morning training.

They declined to say how many calories they consume in a day, but Freund told guests to consider how many calories a day the average-size person eats, then multiply that in accordance to the sumo’s size (in a 2014 Yahoo Sport interview, Byamba said he eats 10,000 calories a day).

It’s the nutritional value of chankonabe’s vegetable-rich, high-protein broth that makes it the signature food of the sumo: The calorie count is upped by adding sumo-size portions of rice and noodles as well as more protein-filled fish and meats, eaten in equally large quantities. Yama ordered shabu shabu (thinly sliced beef) with kurobuta pork, extra-spiced, then requested additional garlic; Byamba had the sukiyaki.

Of course, their lunch companions peppered them with questions they’ve probably been asked many times in the past.

How do they fly? One first-class ticket usually works for either sumo; two economy seats can also work, but the leg room is problematic.

Do they drink? Neither would comment, then ordered sake.

What are their favorite foods? Sumo are generally great cooks since they learn to make chankonabe as a young student sumo (Yama began training at 7, Byamba 15) but they also know the risk of empty calories and stick to clean food, with Yama joking his favorite food is rice.

“Are you single?” Helina Au asked. Yama answered yes. Byamba said he was “single in San Francisco.”

“We should set you up!” Juliet Bergh offered, with Au chiming in that she was on the case.

When asked whether or not they were able to wear jeans at their sizes, Byamba said he has a size 46 waist, but Freund pointed out there were usually not a lot of off-the-rack options for Yama’s 76-inch waist.

“What about a pair of custom Levi’s?” Chip Bergh offered. When Freund asked if it was possible to accommodate that on a Saturday during their short trip, Bergh nodded. “I’m the CEO of Levi Strauss.”

After arranging a fitting at the Levi’s store on Market Street Bergh inquired about the possibility of staging a sumo match in Northern California since “We (Levi Strauss) have a stadium now” in Santa Clara.

The fitting at Levi’s necessitated a change of plans: Byamba would now travel alone on his original flight that afternoon while Yama would get measured for a pair of jeans, after which he and Freund would stay on as the Aus’ guests and attend the annual soiree at Oakland’s Crucible art center that evening. After taking Yama’s measurements at Levi’s, tailor Liz Valashinas found to the group’s surprise that there was a pair of existing 74-inch waist jeans in the store.

“They were here as part of a store promotional display,” Valashinas said. Aside from shortening the length and a few customizable details, the pants were a fit.

“I haven’t had a pair of denim pants since middle school,” Yama told the Levi’s team.

The group separated after lunch with the sumo making a photo-op stop at the Japantown Cherry Blossom Festival.

“Everyone should stand next to one of these guys once,” said high school festival volunteer Brittanie North after posing with the sumo and her cousins.

Tony Bravo is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer. E-mail: tbravo@sfchronicle.com Twitter: @TonyBravoSF
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I am sorry but I refuse to watch this unless the females wear the traditional attire.

i was pretty disappointed when i read about steroids use in sumo wrestling

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC