Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: teaching choy lee fut and southern mantis

teaching choy lee fut and southern mantis

I just wanted to hear other peoples opinion on a matter. I know a person who has been training in southern mantis and choy lee fut and wants to start up a class. The thing is he wants to teach both together instead of seperated. Can that even be done with so many differences between the arts? I am happy training where I am at, so I have no interest in training with this guy, but I was just curious if this would even be possible. I have known him for a couple years and I tried talking him into maybe teaching it individually, but he thinks he can do it.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    no.
    If you are smart, experienced, and flexible minded, then perhaps you can learn one, and then the other, but not together-especially if he's attempting to teach beginners.
    The two systems are based on completely different structures, methodologies, power generation, etc.
    You will end up with niether.
    You may have a collection of forms and a handfull of exercises, but you will only be kidding yourself if you think that you will gain any true understanding of either art in this manner.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I totally agree. I will just have to change his mind for him. Challenge match. LOL.

I would suggest CLF and after some time ( years perhaps) then go to SPM.
    The CLF will build up a strong foundation and power core that, after slight modification, will lend itself nicely to SPM.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Yeah he did learn them individually, so I have no idea how he thinks he can teach them that way.

Blog Entries
    in my opinion CLF and Wing Chun are very complimentary to each other
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Not sure about those styles, but many styles can be trained simultaneously so long as the person has the time and patience to do so.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

personally speaking, I believe Hung-Gar or even moreso, Hop-Ga / Tibetan White Crane make good foundational training for SPM. Hung-Gar due to the short hand techniques found in Fu Hok Seurng Ying Kuen and Ng Ying Kuen, and TWC due to its footwork and body movement. Both systems develop long chain power generation, which enables the short power to develop later.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    in my opinion CLF and Wing Chun are very complimentary to each other

Is SPM short for Wing Chun?

Waaay too much stuff. Even a single of those systems has so many superfluous techniques and unnatural body postures (probably more so in SPM though) in them that it takes forever just to get down basic body mechanics and posture. And people studying a single of these arts intensively often dont have good reactions installed even after years of study, let alone studying both...

Train in both and not only will the students have too much material to make heads or tails of, but their mind/body will become confused as to what to use and when, even before stress has been applied to a drill or sparring.

Blog Entries
    Is SPM short for Wing Chun?
    i thought it stood for Southern Praying Mantis
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by PlumDragon View Post
    Waaay too much stuff. Even a single of those systems has so many superfluous techniques and unnatural body postures (probably more so in SPM though) in them that it takes forever just to get down basic body mechanics and posture. And people studying a single of these arts intensively often dont have good reactions installed even after years of study, let alone studying both...

Train in both and not only will the students have too much material to make heads or tails of, but their mind/body will become confused as to what to use and when, even before stress has been applied to a drill or sparring.
    what about a street fighter who uses steroids to the point where his physique is at his genetic peak?... How hard would it be to adapt new forms of twisting the muscles. most kung fu guys are in ****ty shape to begin with so they take up kung fu for fitness...I know an Irish jailhouse boxer who fights for money with bikers that likes to bite while he jabs I don't think it would take more than three years for him to learn to fight with CLF. I'm not trying to present an argument only my dismay at the lame level of quality chinese martial instructionpresented to the masses. lol

6 months

Waaay too much stuff. Even a single of those systems has so many superfluous techniques and unnatural body postures (probably more so in SPM though) in them that it takes forever just to get down basic body mechanics and posture.
    Not true at least in Choy Lay Fut

If you train CLF properly with function in mind you should be pretty decent within 6 months. Train basic techniques solo, then with a partner in static drills, then semi free sparring then free sparring. Though the forms are nice and give you ideas to expand upon later they aren't a nessecity for gaining a basic level of proficiency.

If you don't follow a similar formula you could practice your whole life and never learn to defend yourself

BTW, what is the point of learning a system that takes almost your whole life to be able to execute basic body mechanics?
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by PlumDragon View Post

I am curious to know what in particular you feel are superflous techniques in SPM?
    (although I do agree with your second statemnt.)
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

styles are taught together all the time and have even been blended together before to create new styles: hung fut, choyleefut, northern mantis, h*ll tony leung in the UK created steel wire southern mantis by combining chow gar and hung gar so it can be done and has been done, i suppose the question is does the instructor have the ability to combine the arts and teach them. If he does more power to him