Thread: how long was bill murry in ground hog day?

The state that resembles a middle finger.

how long was bill murry in ground hog day?

So what's the guess? Taking into account that he learned french, piano, ice sculpting, and card tricks. I'm going with 50 years. My guess.

Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

ok, this is totally off topic so, don't be alarmed when it gets moved there. lol

but 50 years? nah.

You can learn french in less than a year with immersion.
    You can learn piano and be proficient on it within 2 years.
    card tricks you can learn at least 5 or 10 in only a few days with practice.
    and ice sculpting is something you can learn in a few days as well, but require practice to get good at. You could be good at it inside a year.

so, all things happening in the same continuum, he was there for only a couple of years, but it felt like an eternity because of the futility of modern living and the dystopian social construct we are currently each stuck in. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

i agree with some of your observation but not all

french with total immersion yes but he wasn't in a french society
    piano playing at a proficent level 2 years yes... but he was playing well above a proficent level. Chopsticks yes but not rachmanninoff.
    card tricks yeah off and on he could in a month or 2
    ice sculpting is the one i think would take more time. Skills to craft in a master level would take years to aquire.

Also take into consideration all the time he spent doing other things. Stacking out stuff. learning the patterns, people, hooking up, etc. Also you would have to cut the days he killed himself because the rest of the day he was dead till the next morning.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.

google! sry if i ruined it. such a random thread LOL

Danny Rubin, the screenwriter for Groundhog Day, on how long Phil was stuck in Punxsutawney.

'My original intent was that the length of time neednt be specific, just terribly long, and in my mind, more than one lifetime. That was in fact the whole point of the original experiment, the one I hoped to play out via comedic dramatization: if a person could live long enough would that person fundamentally change? The clarity of the experiment would come from the huge exaggeration of time. He would have to live longer than a person is supposed to live, more than one lifetime. The repetition part was how I got to the immortality.

I know that I have been quoted as having originally intended for Phil to have lived ten thousand years, a time-frame with Buddhist overtones. I find that so incredibly cool that I put no effort into disputing it. But its not true. For me, any lifetime for Phil longer than one would have sufficed, and even so, that statistic never had to leave my head. As long as the audience understood it to be a very, very long time, it never had to become specific.'
    Last edited by Lucas; 02-02-2010 at 09:48 AM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Come on guys you are making this way to hard....it was only ONE day!!! He just played it over and over again. No matter how many days you guess.....it will always be ONE day, he didn't age, no one else aged, and time did not pass!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Come on guys you are making this way to hard....it was only ONE day!!! He just played it over and over again. No matter how many days you guess.....it will always be ONE day, he didn't age, no one else aged, and time did not pass!!!
    He did age in a sense because he retained information from previous days. Each day varied based on his actions within it. The clock reset for everyone else but not him.

Don't forget he trained himself to be a doctor too.

It was a lot of work...

...just to bed Andie MacDowell.

I'm going to leave this here for today. I'll move it OT tomorrow.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

in that quote from the author, he talks about thats how he got the character to the point of 'immortality' so he aged in the sense that an immortal would. experience and knowledge.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...just to bed Andie MacDowell.

I'm going to leave this here for today. I'll move it OT tomorrow.
    she was pretty hot in that movie though

well how long did it actually take him to get the 'prize' from ms. macdowell?
    Last edited by Dragonzbane76; 02-02-2010 at 10:42 AM.

97 years of hard work

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Writing one will do something tomorrow on a thread about the talkie Groundhog Day is quite a thing. I checked the date to see how long ago it had seemed to have been written...it checked out as running in the current state of time continuim local standard.

It seemed not so much French as French Literature. To read a book dedicatedly could be weeks for at least some. If you want to shine and do way better super but for the rest of humanity, weeks I will round to a month.
    He read with comprehension (Ahhh yes and added factor of C o m p r e h e n s i o n). Making sense of foreign culture (classic) literature three months. Grasping the language through classic texts on the literature...two months...He knew at least one work of French literature if he new at least three...smaller book medium Literature work sixteen months
    Reading French book Literature: 7 mo
    reading French book work: 5 mo
    Reading French book work: 5 mo
    Grasping French to
    speak from tutor: 2 mo
    Uderstanding the
    written works to be
    conversant: 9 mo

French-- 28mo--3ys 4mo

chain saw witout cutting
    Things around him: 1 wk
    The basics of ice sculpting 3 wks
    Grasping the basics enough to
    be artistic (dedicated) 9 mo
    Being able to Execute the
    graspings 10 mo

Ice sculpt masterfully-- 20 mo--1 yr 8 mo

play piano by ear an mimic styles
    outside of your training: 4 years

Card tricks with deftness 5 months

Nine years five months for the requested stuff.

To learn the town, explore and be michiveous four months.

To learn Ms. McDowell's responses and move forwards three months on top of the nine years nine months while doing the other mentioned stuff.

9 yrs 9 mo of Groundhog Day for the character played by Mister Murry~

No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

14 billion years.

including the suicides.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The Groundhog has spoken

Groundhog Day 2011: Punxsutawney Phil Predicts Quick End to Winter
    Feb 2, 2011 – 12:00 AM
    Ben Muessig Contributor

Bummed out by this winter's weather? Well, the worst of it will be over soon -- at least according to a rodent in Pennsylvania.

It's the one day of the year when we ignore Doppler radar, mute the weather guy and put our trust in a marmot instead of the weather widgets on our computer screens.

Today is Groundhog Day, a great American folk holiday that hinges on a groundhog named Punxsutawney Phil and his shadow.

According to tradition, if Punxsutawney Phil climbs out of his burrow on a cloudy day and is unable to see his shadow, it's a sign that spring is on its way. If Feb. 2 is a sunny day and the groundhog can see his shadow, that indicates there will be another six weeks of winter.
    Juxtapose with our This nasty winter thread.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

He was outside the space-time continum so he was there for only the day, like everyone else, but since he was outside of time, he was able to live many days as though time was non-existent.
    Time is subjective and relative to our place inside the universal dimension we are preceiving at any given moment.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !