Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Taiji Practice Music

TWS.

I know of atleast one master that advocates practicing to music, he does so himself.

Need to find the article online again and post it here.

Personally, I think that relaxing, quiet music will help the beginner student to relax and thus be benefitial.

Furthermore I also think it depends on what style you study, I think Yang is better suited for it than Chen style.

I prefer it to be quiet, i.e. no music.

Just my 0,2 cents worth.

I've said it before, but to prevent being distracted from the natural rhythm of my breath, I prefer practicing forms without music. I also am going to quibble and point out that silence is impossible.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Interestingly, my Sifu just mentioned this the other day. This can be applied to all types of martial arts, though... not just Tai Chi Chuan.

He said "Sometimes it is good to practice with music. If you've had a hard day, and need something to help you get into the workout, music can be great for that. But sometimes you need to practice without music, so you can hear your breath and the way your punches and kicks cut through the air. You need to hear the sound of a properly performed technique. Both are good to do."

I agree completely with what he said... Sometimes it is good.... but not all the time
    Royce can choke as many people as he wants. He'll never have a cartoon as cool as Jackie Chan Adventures.

-- Chang Style Novice

I dont practice tai chi but I find that practicing to some sort of music, usually traditional chinese music (sometimes surrowful music) helps me concentrate more while training.....

I try practicing in supposed 'silence' in the park but the constant sound of police sirens always makes me lose my concentration, you'd think i'd have gotten used to it by now.....
    Visit the Site -
    www.buddha-fist.com

Thumbs up

There is a traditional song beeing written for the short yang-style form (I think 24 or so). It is very interesting because there are elements which are connected with a certain figure of the form.
    For example: "Push away the monkeys" ,you can hear flutes playing funny , joyfully.
    Generally, this is a good way to practice rythm and speed in Taiji. It can help you to relax and to concentrate.
    Greets
    TCS
    Don't be afraid of walking slowly.
    But NEVER halt.

ambient soundspaces

have helped me considerably in the movements. The music itself is not very "active" so to speak. Just an ambient environment of subtle sounds.

i do find it interesting though that one could do a taichi form next to a waterfall and feel totally at harmony with thier movement but put that same practitioner in the middle of a city park with sirens and all and they are disrupted. (hey i put myself in that category )

So i guess i will re-ask my previous question and that is "WHat do any of you listen to if in fact you DO practice your taichi to music?

MAny Respects,,,The Willow Sword
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

music pumps me up

i dont do alot of taichi or anything but when im doing my regular conditioning workout or external kung fu training i tend to push my self more when i have music on that i like alot and as a result get a better workout.

yes I do this too, when training externally.

9. Thumbs up

Have not meditated for ages (in my time...) but as long as it comes to meditation,IŽd steer away from it since I go with the distraction theory.
    In my opinion,your brain would have to work more if youŽd listen to music,stimulating you and creating links and thoughts between things youŽd connect it to.
    While meditating,youŽd want to be completely "mindless"...
    Just my opinion.
    The sunsetŽs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

I know that TT Liang is an advocate of practing taiji to music. Basically I think he mentioned that music is "in our nature" so that practicing to music is also natural. Also, I think he mentions how it initially helps one to focus and not have a "jumpy monkey brain" going from thought to thought within the form. You can find the source of the "articles" section of the following website:

http://www.tctaichi.com

I think that he goes a bit further than practicing "with music", instead I think he advocates practicing "to music" in that each posture is held for a certain number of beats, etc. I've been in some places where music is playing in the background and I've enjoyed that type of setting but this concept of practing to the beat and such is a bit harder for me since I'm used to training in such a way that the music is usually zoned out. Interesting thoughts, none the less.

A.

Smile Music

Hello - a very interesting discussion!

Could any of Master TT Liang's students here tell us what music in particular you practice your movements too? I would like to experiment more with this concept. Flute music (as mentioned above) does not usually include drumming, or "beats". Or is there a modern synthesis?

Is the music traditional Chinese? Or Western in nature? Or "new age"? In our classes, we often practice to Enigma, Delirium, or variations of African drumming music.

Do you really hold the postures for a certain number of "beats"? In some movement schools, the "beat" of one's feet taps the cadence, while the body moves accordingly - the "music" allows the practioner's movement to become more innate - distracting the "monkey brain" and allowing the moving centre to perform as it was intended.

Cheers!

I found this link, may be of interest:

http://www.zyqigong.org/shop.htm#CD

Cool The Willow Sword

I believe that training with music is a good thing. However, the music should be a type of music that enhances a particular type of training (i.e. Qigong training, Iron Palm training, etc.). Hope this helps.
    xiaotiema

Hi Ao Qin.

I don't currently practice at Liang's school but I remember hearing the music briefly. From what I remember, I think it's more of a traditional type of chinese music with flutes and such. Some tracks even have Liang himself counting the beats! In any case, I believe it to be more of a traditional chinese music as opposed to the electronic ambient type of tunes. I would have to say that it's more traditional as opposed to new age. I'm not a big fan of new age type music.

From my understanding, the posture are not really "held" for a certain number of beats but certain postures take a certain number of beats for execution. For instance, the single whip could take like 6 beats to complete the posture whereas strum the lute could take like 2. I think it's something along those lines.

Like I said, I think in Liang's case, the music was used as a sort of mental concentration tool to initially help focus.

A.

btw, Ao Qin, I think you may have a private message from me

Music formulated for the Taichi movements

As far as Music specifically designed to the taichi movements,,,i am not sure i would be comfortable with this. in my earlier analogy of doing taich chi at a waterfall as opposed to the park in the middle of the booming city, i believe that the music should be as the waterfall is,,in the background. since a waterfall is not specifically designed for the taichi movements,,nor would the music be the same. just background ambient sound space , in my opinion is the best way.
    for those of you that are interested in the ambient soundworlds i highly recommend the works of www.steveroach.com ,, my recommendations for meditation or taichi would be ``Slow Heat``
    ``Atmospheric Conditions`` ``World`s Edge disc 2`(to the threshold of silence).

Many respects,,,The Willow Sword
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.