Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Taiji Practice Music

Don't forget to add "LIquid Mind" and "Jonn Serrie" to your list of ambient soundscapes. Not as dark as some of the ambient tracks I've heard.

Thanks Apham4

for the recommendations. i know of john serrie`s works. but i have not heard of liquid mind.

peace,,,MRTWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Wink Music

AC DC - Back in Black, Crystal Method - Get Busy Child, or anything by the Cocteau Twins works good for me.... opps wrong forum!

For all of you that like to listen to music as you train...

As someone who likes to listen to music as he practices, I have been looking for a while now for a way to listen to music outdoors during my practice and yet not disturb anyone else with loud music. Personal tape players were no good, the sound dropped out and the things were too heavy to stay on my belt during particularly active movements. Personal CD players were no good because they either skipped, popped open, or fell off and smashed to pieces. MP3 players were no good because They either didn't hold enough and had no slot for memory cards, or didn't hold enough and the memory cards cost an arm and a leg.

But this week I happened upon minidisk players at a local store, which made claims of being skip-free, playing a variety of formats, and a few other things. But I bought one because heck, if it didn't work I could take it back.

The one I got was a "sport" model type, with a lock that hinges over both the battery compartment door as well as the disk door to keep either from popping open. It also made claims of being water resistant so that sweat would not affect it that much, as well as being completely skip resistant.

So I recorded some stuff from cd onto it through my computer, and decided to test out the skip-free claim. Skipping is the thing that bugs me the most about cd players. With full, violent fa-jing movements, jumps, stomps, etc...the thing never once skipped. And this was when it was dangling from its cord from my belt. Nor did it skip when I tucked it into my pocket and did the same sort of stuff. The anti-skip features, whatever they may be on this thing, work extremely well.

Besides that, the disk this thing came with holds a lot. Just to get the feel of the program that came with it, I put a couple of cds on it. I got the entire re-release of No Rest For The Wicked, plus the entire re-release of Diary Of A Madman (both of which contain bonus tracks now, which are also on the disk). Plus, I had nearly the entire Blizzard Of Ozz album on my computer from a previous attempt at testing the limits of an MP3 player that didn't use a memory card (and also would not take the entire cd, so I deleted two tracks to fit it on), and it held even that with room to spare. And this is on the medium compression setting, and I have not noticed any lessening of quality of sound. There is another compression setting that will allow you to fit about twice that much on one disk (6 entire albums), though I have not tried it yet.

The disks run about 1-2 dollars apiece, depending on grade, so they are more expensive than cds, but far less expensive than memory sticks for MP3 players. The player/recorder itself was only about $150 after tax, though they make other non-sport models that cost a bit less.

I'm not trying to advertise or anything, so I'm not telling brand names or anything. I'm just very pleased with the thing, and thought I'd let some of you know in case you were looking for something similar. And in addition to all this, the thing runs on one battery. I've had it for two days now, and have listened to it enough to run down several batteries on a tape player, a couple at least for a cd players, but so far the battery meter on this player still shows it to be fully charged.

There is, however, one catch. I originally wanted to purchase the thing so that I could fit a few select cds onto one disk. The cds have sound pulses in them that induce Theta state brain wave activity, which is the state you go into in deep meditation. The pulses are, I assume between 3.5-7 Hz, which is the Theta range. But according to the manual that came with the thing, the player only plays sound frequencies that humans actually hear (though you can still be affected by frequencies you can't hear), and the frequency range for humans starts at about 10 Hz. So I doubt that the frequencies come through on this particular player. I'll still test it out, though. But that doesn't mean that one couldn't play music with sound frequencies hidden within to induce Alpha or Beta states, which should be within the range Humans can hear, and therefore ought to come out through this player.

Anyway, I know I'm out of the loop technologically, but I thought I'd let you guys know anyway, just in case you were lookin for something similar.

Sam, I take it you're a white guy ... right?

Just busting chops ... hey, the music selection and all.

Thanks for the info. I'm waiting for something I can take surfing with me, so when it's big I can blast some Rage Against the Machine or something to amp me out, convince me to drop in on those killer sets ... the ones that make ya go Uh Oh!

I often put on some tunes when friends come over to play but it's off my DVD player. I'm living kind of ghetto style right now. I did just buy a disk man though so I can zone before a fight. Took third. Guess I should have brought other CDs

Blog Entries
    Isn't listening to music while practicing counter productive?

It seems like a distraction for doing something that amounts to "moving meditation."

What are your thoughts on this?

Well, I don't think it's counterproductive, but there are people out there who do. Music helps me to clear my mind and establish a rhythm. Also, some music tends to bring out the "reptile" brain nearly instantly with me. So if I'm listening to something like that, I don't have to take so long getting into the proper mindset. There are many days when I don't feel like listening to music, but then again there are many where I do.

In the end it all amounts to what you like.

We had used a tape with 2 minutes Gipsy Kings and one minute silence.
    So the tape was our timer for sparring.
    Got this from our Thai boxer buddy

I find walking on all fours, while flicking my tongue out eating small insects brings my out my reptillian brain. Erle is starring in a new movie called the three marketeers.
    Last edited by Internal Boxer; 05-04-2003 at 06:06 AM.

Speaking of Earle,he is moving to Wales (as in England) in the coming year.So any Aussies in NSW this is your last chance to see the man in person.
    A Problem is only a Problem if you think it is a Problem and every Problem has a solution

Don't worry about losing lass,I've been wrestling wolves since you were suckling on your mama's titt
    Groundskeeper Willy

LMFAO I like the "moving to Wales as in England???" Sorry to point out the bleedin obvious kiddo but wales ain't in England.

Mate its all the one place to us,just trying to separate it from New South Wales.
    A Problem is only a Problem if you think it is a Problem and every Problem has a solution

Don't worry about losing lass,I've been wrestling wolves since you were suckling on your mama's titt
    Groundskeeper Willy

i bought his laser guided ear thing. you plug it in to your cd player and as long as the cd players 40 feet away or less it works great

Cool Sam Wiley

We don't have that problem on St. Simons. You must have too much fa jing or Qi running thru your kwoon. We only do garage training down here and play James Brown to excelerate our Qi. Just kidding but I do appreciate the info. Y'all come down and see us sometime. Have a great week.
    xiaotiema

Taiji Practice Music

Do you play any music while practicing?

Pachelbel Canon in D Major:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZHw9uyj81g