Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Taiji Practice Music

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

ALL martial arts must be practiced while playing, humming or thinking this music, otherwise it is useless;

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I practice to, "The Imperial March."

for some reason, I cannot post youtube vids. It just says,about:blank
    when I try to drop the link. Anyone know what's up? I have aol.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

excellent song, excellent video

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    ALL martial arts must be practiced while playing, humming or thinking this music, otherwise it is useless;
    But it's kinda "external" for the old folks.... about a 1/2 hour of that and all their blood pressure rates would be up....
    .... Skip

Quote Originally Posted by Skip J. View Post
    But it's kinda "external" for the old folks.... about a 1/2 hour of that and all their blood pressure rates would be up....
    Only if you're singing it loudly. Try humming it and eventually just thinking it to make it more internal.

Ok....

Quote Originally Posted by kuntao View Post
    Only if you're singing it loudly. Try humming it and eventually just thinking it to make it more internal.
    OK.... well I like it if that counts for something....
    .... Skip

Grand Master Ma made a convincing argument against practicing TCC to music at the Symposium.
    It made so much sense to me that I no longer do it.

His argument is probably best heard coming from him. The transcript of his speach was printed in a different Tai Chi oriented magazine than the illustrious hosts of this site in their last issue.
    That's all the hints I will give you here, as my intent is ONLY to point you all at the correct documentation and not to plug anything.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Ashmore; 02-03-2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ashmore View Post
    Grand Master Ma made a convincing argument against practicing TCC to music at the Symposium.
    It made so much sense to me that I no longer do it.

His argument is probably best heard coming from him. The transcript of his speach was printed in a different Tai Chi oriented magazine than the illustrious hosts of this site in their last issue.
    That's all the hints I will give you here, as my intent is ONLY to point you all at the correct documentation and not to plug anything.

Bob
    while I personally do not like practicing to music, I think that if one does enjoy it, which I suspect you did, it is not intrinsically harmful to one's practice; what is harmful, IMPE, is some so-called "master" proscribing natural, spontaneous human behavior based his own personal perspective about what is "correct";

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    while I personally do not like practicing to music, I think that if one does enjoy it, which I suspect you did, it is not intrinsically harmful to one's practice; what is harmful, IMPE, is some so-called "master" proscribing natural, spontaneous human behavior based his own personal perspective about what is "correct";
    I prefer training to the natural, ambient sounds of my environment, such as Little Bear, Spongebob Squarepants, incoherent Filipino TV shows, the baby asking what I am doing and wanting me to hang her from the pullup bar, etc......

Taiji music

There has been music specifically composed for specific forms of taiji. There's this Daoist notion that it can harmonize - the 5 elements, the 5 musical notes (China is pentatonic scale), the 5 organs, the 5 etc.

There has been music composed specifically for qigong based on the same Daoist principles. See Health Qigong music. I've listened to this stuff, and it would work for taiji.

Of course, why should you listen to me? I used to like to practice taiji to Wagnerian Opera.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Of course, why should you listen to me? I used to like to practice taiji to Wagnerian Opera.
    I also hear you are Chinese, and run a martial arts business or two.....so what would you know?

The question IS, do you play a musical instrument?

I do

Believe it or not, I play digeridoo...but not very well. I play for the circle-breathing meditation, not for the 'music' so it sounds more like a vacuum cleaner on steroids when I play.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

cool, I would think that a good didgeridoo would be great with meditation!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Believe it or not, I play digeridoo...but not very well. I play for the circle-breathing meditation, not for the 'music' so it sounds more like a vacuum cleaner on steroids when I play.
    You might like the "OM" selection here:
    http://www.synchronicity.org/Listeni.../products/590/

Actually, I have never much enjoyed listening to music as I practice. Not of any kind.
    It is very distracting to me.
    I have no problem with anyone who does, at all. I just found GM Ma's argument to be convincing.
    Enjoy your practice any way it works for you.

Bob