Thread: Let's drag out the dictionary

Let's drag out the dictionary

re⋅tard  /rɪˈtɑrd, for 1–3, 5; ˈritɑrd for 4/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ri-tahrd, for 1–3, 5; ree-tahrd for 4] Show IPA
    –verb (used with object) 1. to make slow; delay the development or progress of (an action, process, etc.); hinder or impede.

–verb (used without object) 2. to be delayed.

–noun 3. a slowing down, diminution, or hindrance, as in a machine.
    4. Slang: Disparaging. a. a mentally retarded person.
    b. a person who is stupid, obtuse, or ineffective in some way: a hopeless social retard.

5. Automotive, Machinery. an adjustment made in the setting of the distributor of an internal-combustion engine so that the spark for ignition in each cylinder is generated later in the cycle.

Compare advance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
    1480–90; < L retardāre to delay, protract, equiv. to re- re- + tardāre to loiter, be slow, deriv. of tardus slow; see tardy

Related forms:

re⋅tard⋅ing⋅ly, adverb

Synonyms:
    1. obstruct, check.

Antonyms:
    1. accelerate.

Dictionary.com Unabridged
    Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2010.
    Cite This Source |Link To retarded
    re·tard 1 (rĭ-tärd')
    v. re·tard·ed, re·tard·ing, re·tards

v. tr.
    To cause to move or proceed slowly; delay or impede.
    v. intr.
    To be delayed.
    n.
    A slowing down or hindering of progress; a delay.

Music A slackening of tempo.

[Middle English retarden, from Old French retarder, from Latin retardāre : re-, re- + tardāre, to delay (from tardus, slow).]
    re·tard'er n.
    Hmmmmm........

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    Hmmmmm........
    this:
    4. Slang: Disparaging. a. a mentally retarded person.
    is the spirit in which it was being used obviously and it is the meaning which is being contended.

none of that takes away from Palin being an attention whore.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    this:

is the spirit in which it was being used obviously and it is the meaning which is being contended.

none of that takes away from Palin being an attention whore.
    I didn't hear anything about a person. Weren't they talking about some sort of plan of action?...."That's f'ing retarted" Sounds like an impared system to me and the proper use of the word.

Which begs the question as to why he would be thinking about a retarded child while making the comment.

In any case he has nothing to apologize for. The statement was made in private.

Oh I agree. This is merely a Palin publicity stunt because she feels a little cold after being taken out from under the spotlight of American love.

She's become a walking parody. lol

I'm sure much stronger invectives are used daily throughout the halls of government.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I didn't hear anything about a person. Weren't they talking about some sort of plan of action?...."That's f'ing retarted" Sounds like an impared system to me and the proper use of the word.
    No, he called Democrat Congressmen who opposed heathcare "f*cking retards".
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

So now it's name calling.... A couple of days ago it's was refering to a plan/bill/something......as in "That's f'ing retarted"

I guess name calling gives it more validity!

In any case it happened behind closed doors. Who was called retarted? More better, who decided to talk about a closed door meeting?

In any case it happened behind closed doors. Who was called retarted? More better, who decided to talk about a closed door meeting?
    Once again, I just told you who he directed the insult at. If you can't read, it's not my problem.

You know if Mr. Limbaugh had used that term, you would be up in arms.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    Once again, I just told you who he directed the insult at. If you can't read, it's not my problem.

You know if Mr. Limbaugh had used that term, you would be up in arms.
    Limbaugh did use it. Olbermann palyed the tape just the other night. However it's not my style to point to something else as a defense. I let you do that since you're so good at it.

Where you there? This was a closed door meeting. When this story broke the term was "That's retarted". In fact I believe that's the term that Palin used.

However now it seems to have evolved into "You're retarted."....Right!

Where you there?
    Nope. But since Rahm admitted he said it, it's doesn't matter who was and who wasn't there.

Since we're dragging out the dictionary. Here's a good definition of "Teabagger":

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=Teabagger

A whining fool shouting loudly for liberty but not willing to pay the bill.
    After most American workers saw more money in their paycheck due to the lower tax rate, the teabaggers at Fox News railed against high taxes, but did not discuss how much Jesus hated hypocrisy

A misinformed, right-wing corporate media consumer who often fails to understand that BOTH major parties represent a corrupt plutocracy that steals from the middle class by taxing labor and profiting from corporate tax subsidies.

By the way RE only said he used the word. He never mentioned that he directly called anyone retarted.

just make sure you say it like Zach Galifianakis in the hangover.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Just so you guys know exactly what is being argued over, here's the original Wall Street Journal story:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...384695158.html

The friction was laid bare in August when Mr. Emanuel showed up at a weekly strategy session featuring liberal groups and White House aides. Some attendees said they were planning to air ads attacking conservative Democrats who were balking at Mr. Obama's health-care overhaul.

"F—ing retarded," Mr. Emanuel scolded the group, according to several participants. He warned them not to alienate lawmakers whose votes would be needed on health care and other top legislative items.
    While it's not clear if he was talking about this group of people specifically or their behavior, it's pretty clear to anyone who has talked like this in the past (most of us native English speakers here in the U.S.) that "retarded" means "stupid" in this context. Honestly, I don't see much difference between someone saying "you're retarded" vs. "your idea (or behavior, belief, etc.) is retarded.