Thread: Your Last Class

Hybrid View

Your Last Class

Tonight after teaching class and during my shower I started wondering what other praying mantis instructors had taught or were going to teach this evening.
    I thought it might be interesting to share as praying mantis instructors or students what went on in our last class.

I'll start:

1. Two Hand drills on the wooden dummy 挑 挑 衝 爪 & 摟 摟 衝 爪 (tiao tiao chong zhao & lou lou chong zhao),

2. A partner drill that worked 勾 摟 採 閉 門 腿 (gou lou cai & bi men tui)

3. A partner drill that taught the the use of 揪 腿 jiu tui (seizing leg) and a counter to the technique.

3. Two partner drills that worked two of the twelve soft methods (螳 螂 柔手 táng láng róu shǒu):

直統而抅手 - zhí tǒng ér ou shǒu - Attach the Hook to Straight Attacks
    開手而叠手 - kāi shǒu ér dié shǒu - Open Hands And Join Hands

4. One inch fa jing

5. The first ten moves from the Diao Fa form

So what did you teach/do in your last class?

Richard

Warm up

Partner drills using Dodge, Kwa and Chau toy principles/techniques

Pad work drills taken from bung bo kuen

Forms & lion Dance

Stretching

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

Attacking with shin kick - jab combination.

Avoiding shin kick - jab using switch footwork and parry.

Countering shin kick - jab with mummy step - fung tung chui.

Attacking with jab - cross - shin kick.

Countering jab - cross - shin kick with parry - parry - angle change - midline punch.

Avoiding midline punch with low outside parry.

Using low/high change to follow up midline punch with highline punch.

Avoiding the low/high attack with low outside parry and tiou jeong.

Countering the low/high attack with low outside parry and grinding palm.

Countering the low/high attack with low outside parry and any technique using ou-lou-tsai theory.

Countering jab - cross - shin kick with parry - parry - angle change - low/high combination attack and grinding palm.

Method of explosively closing the distance in the low/high attack.

Method of jumping escape from the low/high attack.

Method of following the low/high attack with aerial ou-lou-tsai technique to nullify the jumping escape.

Method of hiding a kick follow-up to the aerial ou-lou-tsai using hgh/low theory.

Method of continuous running and kicking to overrun the opponent.

Warm-up/Stretching 30 minutes

Individual Training 15 Minutes:
    -Chahp Cheui Kuen
    -Baht Bouh Faat
    -Tong Long Sao Kuen
    -Dahn Do Faat

[B]30 Minute Partner Training:[B]
    -Ngau Teui Faat (partner leg hooking) and Yui Faat ( waist method) together with:
    -Lao Sao yee Lao Sao
    -Lao Sao yee Gwan Sao
    -Lao Sao yee Diu Sao

Review of individual Training followed by student Demonstration 15 minutes
    ________
    no2 vaporizers
    ________
    WHOLESALE VAPORIZER
    Last edited by seung ga faat; 04-29-2011 at 01:36 AM.

Just kinda stood there (catching as many glimpses of myself in the mirror as possible) while I counted in Japenese for the students practicing their Judo chops, karate chops and kung fu kicks.

Told them they did a good and they can "level up" to the "dwarf warror" level soon. Only 20 levels to go after that!

HA! Good one Mantid1.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Not a mantis teacher so can't add value here, however I just wanted to say that this is an EXCELLENT idea for a thread! Hoping to find (or create) one for our style as well Thanks for the inspiration.
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

Dave, Dave, Dave!

Jim, you should know better than to encourage him!

Northwind,
    Thanks for the positive feedback!

Tonight's class:

1. Three hand drills on the wooden dummy,

2. Partner drills to work two of the twelve soft hand methods (螳 螂 柔手 táng láng róu shǒu),

3. A partner drill that taught the the use of 揪 腿 jiu tui (seizing leg),

4. Keyword theory 進 jìn: Footwork drill to work bursting in (advancing) without telegraphing one's intent,

5. Twelve moves from the Diao Fa form.

As you can see I don't cover a lot of material in a class. I prefer to work a small amount of material with a large number of repetitions for muscle memory. Less is more in my opinion.

Richard
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 02-16-2010 at 06:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    So what did you teach/do in your last class?
    I like to train the following 4 drills 20 times each daily. I like to train drills. I don't like to train the entire form. Since the mantis combos are so long, mantis combo is almost like "form".

1. wrist grab, foot sweep, hook punch, back fist, upper cut, hammer fist, straight punch.
    2. back fist, hook, hook, back fist, 3 straight punches to the head, one straight punch to the body.
    3. back right palm, right Gou, left chong zhao, right palm, left Diao, right palm.
    4. Mo Pan Shou, left Diao, right palm, righ Gou, left Gou, right chong zhao.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-02-2012 at 02:55 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

It was raining in the Bay Area this weekend. Students wimped out on both days and didn't show up.

My Sihing and I hung up the heavy bag and worked out in the rain for a couple hours.

Stretched, did some footwork. Kicked the sand part of the bag for shin conditioning.

Currently have a shoulder impingement injury on the right side, so worked on all left side punches and strikes.

Worked on various explosive kao da on the bag.

More kicking on the bag.

Ground was wet and slippery, so when the rain got heavier, used that as an opportunity to train stability on the spinning and turning kick combinations in the air, between rounds on the bag.

Finished with focus on cleaning up relaxed exploding core motions and connection to ground. Left and right sides, lead and rear on both sides.

Tuesday 12/4/2012 Mantis Masters Academy

Form & Applications

Fighting Combinations from Zhai Yao Yi Lu in pairs, on focus mitts, on BOB:

Hook, Grab, Throat Punch
    Lead, Cross, Bladder punch
    Lead, Cross, Hook, Front Kick, Searching Punch

Combination emphasis was on relaxation and speed.

Theories:

The link between relaxation and speed.
    Linking the speed of the hands with the power of the waist.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 12-04-2012 at 05:51 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

last nights class. 800 of each punch (6400 total) 50 rocking push ups, 2 person stretching, shuai jiao solo drills, as our warm up.

Then we worked (tui dung) and (sobei), followed up with throwing concepts and understanding of balance and center of gravity. great class nice and sweaty a few lumps and brusies. always a sign of a good class.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Didn't work on any mantis or striking formerly in class, just worked on a new entering method to make it easier to load throws like Uchi Mata and Harai Goshi. Also worked on escapes from common holds - trying to get away from muscling out and focusing on using more technique.

At home did some gong/dynamic tension stuff that i learned a long time ago. Also, knocked the dust off of one of my favorite forms Tong Long Chit Don so I don't forget it over time. I always try do a couple of minutes of Kettle Bell. Mine aren't that heavy - just 35 pounders, but they feel heavy after a bunch of reps.