Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The pros and cons of what you train

The pros and cons of what you train

So what areas of your training do you enjoy and what do you not like doing?

For myself when I was heavily into TCMA I enjoyed the iron body, hand conditioning and power generation work and general conditioning stuff, I also liked the sticky hands work and the sparring. Believe it or not I also really liked application work and chin na and doing my sets.

I also loved doing the lion and unicorn dance and working various weapons.

What I didn’t like was the fact that as I advanced further and further into the senior ranks my fellow students were less and less inclined to spar or do any real contact work, and preferred to perfect their sets and weapons work and would rather hit telephone books, boards etc than each other. I found this to be really frustrating, maybe it was something to do with me being relatively young for the rank I held, most others in the advanced classes were in there late 30’s, 40’s or 50’s and I was still in my mid 20’s, have others experienced this with their advanced class mates?

I also didn’t enjoy the fact that when I got to a certain level I was told right now you learn the real stuff……...what had I been learning the past 4 years...rubbish? Or the fact a lot of the stuff was kept secret or hidden until you reached a certain point

I also didn’t enjoy the endless stance work (probably because coming in with a background in weightlifting and conditioning I didn’t see the point of a lot of it) and practising kicking or other techniques in the air as opposed to actually hitting pads and bags, the classes either didn’t have them or even more frustrating where they did have them they didn’t use them.

Finally I didn’t like how as the contact level of the sparring we did do went up, the techniques we were taught seemed to go out the window and when questioned why things like the locking and throwing and trapping we were being taught didn’t work we were told we weren’t working hard enough on them.

How I train more sports orientated stuff I enjoy the fact that the conditioning is inbuilt in the fighting and sparring and drilling work so you don’t need to work on it separately in class. I like the fact that there is much less uncertainty about what works and what to do in this or that situation, you know what works for you in various situations because you train in them daily, and you have faith in your coaches because you see them or the guys they train compete in various full contact events.

I also like the open and transparent way things are taught, there are no secret techniques, no hidden training methods, you are taught correctly from day one

I also like the fact that power production and proper mechanics are very easy to understand and the fact you get instant feedback from the various training tools and sparring partners you have, no more guessing if I am producing power in my short range shots, I now know

I enjoy the fact that I can work stand-up, clinch and ground virtually every session and spar whenever I want to.

Things I don’t like, as you get older conditioning gets harder and harder, and I hate the younger lads who don’t need to rest the night before training or do any form of warm up (

I also dislike some of the people associated with the MMA world, especially now its becoming so popular, I hate seeing people in the local weight lifting gym wearing tap out tops when they never train or in the local pub cheering on the fights on sky sports like they know what they are on about (but then the number of weirdo’s in TCMA was much higher)

I also dislike the fact that I don’t get to work weapons stuff or self defence stuff as much as I used to, although n the flip side I feel much more confident in my abilities now than I ever did in my TCMA days, and adding in some realistic street training is not that hard…and at least now I don’t have any false beliefs in my abilities…I still shudder about he fact I felt comfortable training against a knife and felt I would be able to defend myself if attacked by one.

I dislike getting hit hard in the head. stand up only sparring is something I make myself do because I know I benefit from it, where as grappling or full MMA sparring is something I love to do…the irony is I have received more injuries from grappling and being thrown than I have from being hit (bloody nose and mouth and a few times seeing stars/ being knocked out compared to damaged shoulders, dislocated fingers and toes and damaged ankles and elbows)

I miss some of the specific conditioning from my TCMA days and some of the longer range and close in stuff I learned…. I can see some of it meshing well with my clinch skills and longer range boxing I do. I would love to go back and train weekly with one of my coaches but time is limited and at the moment the pros and cons push me in the direction of sports training

SO what do you like/dislike about your training and what would you like to change?

pros:
    ------

Increased energy and positive attitude from physical exertion.

Interesting practice with pleasing results.

cons:
    -------

I am old considering the required rigorousness of some of the kung fu practices.
    This makes recovery take a lot longer than when i was 24. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Pros:
    I'm 37 and can take my shirt off in public.

Cons:
    I take my shirt off in public.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Pros:
    I'm 37 and can take my shirt off in public.

Cons:
    I take my shirt off in public.
    lol.

can you get supergirl to take her shirt off in public? that would be a pro.

wanking when she does it would make one wind up being a con though I think...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Loved...

I loved the brutally hard calisthenics, fingertip and fist pushups, low stance training, iron body exercises. All made me really solid back in the day. I really liked forms... Gung Gee Fuk Fu is my all time favorite (as taught by Master Wai Hong), those forms gave me stamina and a half. I also loved iron hand training, striking various things to toughen up the mitts.

Hated...

Practicing high kicks, head kicks usually work better for slim guys, not guys who do heavy squats and deadlifts. Kicking stomach high is high enough for me. Lack of wrestling in traditional CMA. I was saying this as a newbie in the early 1980's, all forms of Kung Fu/Karate need to add some form of wrestling as a part of every class or you will be in big trouble when grounded by a gorilla.

I like everything I do, or I would not do it.
    The only cons is that there is not enough time in the day/week to do it all.
    Think about it:
    Striking
    grappling
    sticks
    knives
    strength and conditioning.
    Lots of stuff.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Pros: My deadly Kung Fu skills have allowed me the ability to beat up old people and midgets at will.

Cons: Most of my money is tied up in lawsuits.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    Pros: My deadly Kung Fu skills have allowed me the ability to beat up old people and midgets at will.

Cons: Most of my money is tied up in lawsuits.
    Poor kids can't afford lawyers.

Learn it, remember it, live it.

Blog Entries
    one of the pro's to my style of training is that it enhances your sex life.

how? well, some of your short comers should listen up. when you are in the act of booty duty and you just may finish the race a little too soon, i start thinking about practicing my gung fu sets. i learned to separate my self from the situation and keep up my hard work at the same time. :P

i guess you can say CLF has taught me to multi-task since we are a system that deals with multiple opponents.

works wonders for your sex life.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    one of the pro's to my style of training is that it enhances your sex life.

how? well, some of your short comers should listen up. when you are in the act of booty duty and you just may finish the race a little too soon, i start thinking about practicing my gung fu sets. i learned to separate my self from the situation and keep up my hard work at the same time. :P

i guess you can say CLF has taught me to multi-task since we are a system that deals with multiple opponents.

works wonders for your sex life.

"dead kittens dead kittens think dead kittens oh s h i t itys not working..."

i hearnd chi kung helps you hold back similar to way the yogic techniques work... i dunno, i havent noticed much of a difference...

but hey, if nothing works for ya, theres always round 2 and 3...

Blog Entries
    true very true...but round two or three may be the next week or month hahahahaha

well im only 32 so round two can happen in a few minutes if need be...

but yeah ofcourse im perfect and always last atleast an hour

Thinking about dead kittens whilst having sex can lead to a fetish for dead kittens. Which is gross.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    doing what with these dead kittens? they would make a tasty little treat during a break in booty duty sessions.

sweet jesus frank, why not just go over the top already.

Kung Fu is good for you.