Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tiger Claw's 2nd KungFuMagazine.com Championship and 7th Shark City Nationals

lucky dog

Oh my..... the Liang's are my favorite... you lucky dog....
    .... Skip

not that lucky

GM Liang Shou-Yu & Helen are running some xingyi in the next room. But am I there? Nope. I'm here, answering last-minute requests from competitors, volunteers and staff, not to mention doing some stuff for the mag. Alas.

At least they brought me some nice maple cream cookies from Canada. Helen is really too sweet - and GM Liang is such the gentleman - both are such upstanding members of the wulin elite (and I'm not just saying that because they brought me cookies). Maybe I can just sneak over and peep a bit....
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Uh huh,

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    GM Liang Shou-Yu & Helen are running some xingyi in the next room. But am I there? Nope. I'm here, answering last-minute requests from competitors, volunteers and staff, not to mention doing some stuff for the mag. Alas.

At least they brought me some nice maple cream cookies from Canada. Helen is really too sweet - and GM Liang is such the gentleman - both are such upstanding members of the wulin elite (and I'm not just saying that because they brought me cookies). Maybe I can just sneak over and peep a bit....
    Tell that to someone who has not read your words here AND in print..... (another subscription plug?) ....

You are not that lucky in that you have generated all those words over all those years, even before you came on-board to this publication... you may be the only person qualified to do what you do...

And yeah, setting up and running a tournament and all of the other little details involved has gotta be a lotta work...

But, and this is a biggie, you're there doing for a living all day long what we like to do as much as we can - but can't because we have to do something else for a living. Where you're at right now sounds pretty good to us office bound worker bees....
    .... Skip

2 days to go

I hear what you're saying, Skip J., and don't think I'm not grateful for the position I'm in. I still have a deep love of kung fu, of all martial arts, so my career is a lot better than flipping burgers. However, that part isn't luck. I've worked at this for over 20 years, and as anyone who makes a profession of the martial arts, well, it ain't easy. But still, you're totally right, Skip J., I should enjoy it. The company of the Liangs is always inspirational.

BTW, did you say subscription plug?

Back to business, there will be a special Shaolin monk demo at Tiger Claw’s KungFuMagazine.com Championship II during a midday performance. That is scheduled to take place around 11:30.

We brought a troupe in last year for the first TCKFMC. I think all of them stayed in America. See some excerpts from those demos here:

demonstrations (note that the 2nd monk up is Shi Yantuo, who I just started training under. You'll read more about him soon. )

ShaolinChan

We hoped to have the webcast up this morning, but it crashed. We're working on it.

A few more dignitaries are scheduled to arrive today. I'll try to post that before today is done.

Hope you all can make it out to our event. If not, hope you'll log on to the webcast over the weekend!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More guests

Well, only one more. Fu Biao. The real Kreese. I've just finished an interview with him and it'll be of particular interest of Shaolin people, particularly students of Shi Guolin, Shi Yanming and Shi Yanzi.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tune into our webcast!

TUNE INTO TIGER CLAW'S KUNGFUMAGAZINE.COM CHAMPIONSHIP WEBCAST THIS WEEKEND. We will be broadcasting directly from the event Tiger Claw's KungFuMagazine.com Championship II on June 12, 2010 in San Jose, CA.

I'm leaving for the venue now. I think this is the last pic I can post. Too bad, Wu Bin is coming by in a few but I'll already be out of the office.

SEE YOU AT TIGER CLAW'S KUNGFUMAGAZINE.COM CHAMPIONSHIP II!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

All I can say is Lame. I will never attend this tournament again. You advertise it as being a kung fu tournament, and then provide Karate sized rings. How do you expect someone to perform a northern Kwan Dao in a 20' ring? Or any other linear form for that matter. Then when students ask for permission to leave the ring they are told that they will have points deducted for it. Even the tai chi people were adjusting their footwork to stay in the ring.

I would have expected this at an open tournament, but this was advertised as specifically for kung fu, which means traditional should have a 20' x 30' ring minimum, its not like there wasn't enough space. And then to top it all off, when wushu needed more space, no one had a problem sliding a second ring over and joining the mats together. I guess traditional kung fu is just not good enough for you guys.

I'm also especially disappointed in Gene, because I asked him about this before the tournament started and he said, don't worry, we will take care of it.
    Last edited by Fei Yan; 06-14-2010 at 08:48 AM.

Sorry you were disappointed Fei Yan

Sorry I don't remember your exact inquiry as I was dealing with a lot of people. I'm sure I told you that if your form went outside the ring, all you needed to do was tell the judges, and they would make compensations. If you made that request, I'm sorry that didn't happen. If you were denied that request, you should have come back to me as that was discussed in the judges meeting. We said specifically that judges would make allowances for anyone's form that was larger than the rings, especially for traditional.

My original proposal was to have the traditional rings unmatted, but that got overridden somewhere along the line. It was felt that an traditionalist could adjust to stepping on and off the mat. We'll make more adjustments next year.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The request was made and denied. Two students were specifically told that they would be deducted points. I chose to simply not compete as there is no way to reduce my forms length by enough to stay in that ring. No big deal, just $100 down the drain and a wasted day for me. I would have much preferred no mats at all with just tape lines to indicate the ring.

My apologies, Fei Yan, that should not have happened

You should have come back to me or the head arbitrator Bryant Fong. We had specifically stated at the judges meeting that there would be allowances for traditional forms to go beyond the ring size. Which ring was that on and which divisions were those?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

That was traditional northern handforms, traditional northern short weapons, traditional northern long weapons. Ring 4, and also the one directly behind ring 4 as viewed from near the masters tent.

I also believe this was happening in other rings, but since my classmates were competing in those rings, those were the ones I focused on. I heard comments from a tai chi practioner about almost twisting her ankle on the edge of the mat and witnessed a number of the tai chi and shaolin people changing up their footwork to stay inside.

What upset me also, was that partway through the day, they joined rings 5 and 6 for wushu competition. I thought that they had figured out their blunder and were fixing it, but as soon as the wushu division ended they split the mats again, and there was plenty of open rings, so keeping those two joined would not have been a problem.
    Last edited by Fei Yan; 06-14-2010 at 10:37 AM.

In all honesty, this is the first complaint I've heard from the traditional side

Fei Yan, did you ask for arbitration? I really wish you had told me when this happened. I totally could have fixed this.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

No, I didn't ask for arbitration. You were busy running around MCing all day, so I didn't bother you.

I just hope that it is a mistake that won't be repeated.

I'm going to leave it at that. At least I got to have my picture taken with Wu Bin.

Sorry again Fei Yan, you should have bothered me...

...all the wushu people were constantly bothering me. Most of my job there that day was to fix problems like this.

We're still picking up the pieces here - a few more masters and champions are around. Alfred Hsing, who took 2nd in our WildAid Tiger Champion, was just here.

We're still uploading webcast vids so stay tuned.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Some reports

Check out some of the reports on Global Kungfu Net (click for pix):

Elegant Demeanor of Referees in All American Kungfu Championship
    Source:Global Kungfu Net Author: DATE:2010-6-13 HITS: 8次

June 12, 2010, All American Kungfu Championship Opened in Silicon Valley at nine. Jian Qi, proprietor of American Kungfu Magazine, Wu Bin who is the former vice president of Chinese Wushu Association, Fu Biao who is the vice president of Chinese Wushu Association, Cheng Huikun who is the director of Taolu division in wushu management center, Wang Shiquan who is the president of Beijing Wushu Academy, Liang Shouyu who is the president of International Wushu Sanshou Dao Association, Chen Zhaohui who is the president of Emei Wushu Academy, He Tao who is the vice president of IWSD International Wushu Sanshou Dao Federation attended the event. 16 events such as Sanda, Taekwondo, Kendo, Aikido and routine are involved in this competition. This event is organized by TC media and American Kungfu Magazine. Global Kungfu Website will report exclusively. Please pay attention.
    All American Kungfu Championship 1

June 12, 2010, All American Kungfu Championship Opened in Silicon Valley at nine. Jian Qi, proprietor of American Kungfu Magazine, Wu Bin who is the former vice president of Chinese Wushu Association, Fu Biao who is the vice president of Chinese Wushu Association, Cheng Huikun who is the director of Taolu division in wushu management center, Wang Shiquan who is the president of Beijing Wushu Academy, Liang Shouyu who is the president of International Wushu Sanshou Dao Association, Chen Zhaohui who is the president of Emei Wushu Academy, He Tao who is the vice president of IWSD International Wushu Sanshou Dao Federation attended the event. 16 events such as Sanda, Taekwondo, Kendo, Aikido and routine are involved in this competition. This event is organized by TC media and American Kungfu Magazine. Global Kungfu Website will report exclusively. Please pay attention.
    All American Kungfu Championship 2
    Source:Global Kungfu Net Author: DATE:2010-6-13 HITS: 7次

All American Kungfu Championship 3

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips