Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Three Sectional Staff and Bruce Lee

Three Sectional Staff and Bruce Lee

Hello! I am new here but have been enjoying the discussions for some time.

Everybody associates Bruce Lee with the nunchaku but this isn't the only "flexible" weapon Bruce Lee trained with. Especially in the Seattle period, the three sectional staff seemed to have peaked Bruce Lee's interest.

There are more pictures than these but couldn't find them right now on the internet as a link, so i will attach them to this message.

My question is does anybody know where Bruce Lee learned to use the three sectional staff? The weapon obviously does not exist in Wing Chun or the other southern arts he would have been exposed too. This question also applies to his usage of the spear which there are some Seattle era pics of him with the spear (much like the above ones)

An interview with Patrick Strong who was a original Bruce Lee student, he also recalls in a interview "He would often demonstrate a three-section staff form and, of course, part of the Mook Jung (wooden dummy) form."

Any information and discussion about Bruce Lee's connection to these traditionally Northern style weapons as far as what style/what Sifu, etc would be appreciated!!!!

TC

the three-sectional staff as well as all Chinese weapons, forms and styles of kung Fu were invented by Bruce Lee;

of course, Bruce Lee was invented by Chuck Norris.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    the three-sectional staff as well as all Chinese weapons, forms and styles of kung Fu were invented by Bruce Lee;

Little known fact. Proper human birthing procedures (head first) have nothing to do with actual anatomical necessity. But actually is a result of Chuck Norris presenting beard first. The original term was not crowning, but bearding. However, it was changed in medical text shortly thereafter on account that no mere mortal will ever be born with such magnificent beardedness. In a related topic, Chuck's birth caused widespread controversy throughout China. To this day there are still those who believe him to be the reincarnated Guan Yu.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    There was a Northern teacher i HK that taught Bruce Lee some stuff in exchange for Cha-Cha lessons.
    Bruce Lee also used them in an episode of "The Green Hornet."
    (the cool one where he fights Mako in a "traditional Gung-Fu duel" to see who rules the Tong)
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Re:

I believe that was Sifu Shiu Hon Sang of Hong Kong Jing Mo

Bruce Lee was formed after chuck norris masturbated into some raw liver.
    It has astounded science as to why he even died!

The sperm+beef liver combo manifest into Bruce Lee should've had a shelf life at least as long as the third reich!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Bruce Lee was formed after chuck norris masturbated into some raw liver.
    It has astounded science as to why he even died!

The sperm+beef liver combo manifest into Bruce Lee should've had a shelf life at least as long as the third reich!
    my guess is that during their on camera appearance, Bruce Lee's neuroendochrinological system was so shocked by his direct exposure to Chuck Norris, that it counteracted the preservative nature of the sperm/liver amalgam, but only to create an unresolvable internal conflict of Chuck versus Chuck

what pushed Lee over the edge into death, was that the universe could only contain even the fiction of Chuck being defeated for just so long before it back-lashed onto Bruce...

my guess is that during their on camera appearance, Bruce Lee's neuroendochrinological system was so shocked by his direct exposure to Chuck Norris, that it counteracted the preservative nature of the sperm/liver amalgam, but only to create an unresolvable internal conflict of Chuck versus Chuck

what pushed Lee over the edge into death, was that the universe could only contain even the fiction of Chuck being defeated for just so long before it back-lashed onto Bruce...
    yeah, bruce was a real wanker for his reasons around why he wanted Chuck in the fight scene for Return of the Dragon.

at least, the way chuck tells it, as diplomatic as he is it still makes bruce seem petty.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

All the cool people use 3-sectional staffs

3-Section Black Hardwood Staff - I'm sure Bruce would have gotten his 3-sectional staffs here.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Oh and ~G comes out with a product plug and a face save for a dead man!

outstanding!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ekaterina View Post
    "empty your mind, be formless. shapeless, like water.
    if you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup.
    you put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle.
    you put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. now,
    water can flow or it can crash.
    be water my friend." Bruce Lee ~

such beauty in the wisdom of his words. wise words to learn, understand and continually apply.

Τα Πάντα ῥεῖ

ekaterina*
    www.abctales.com/user/tretchicovmanicova
    pop chop-sockey redux philosophy; Bruce was able to sound so profound because knowledge of source texts such as Yi Jing and Dao De Jing were not well known among the general TV viewing population; he certainly doesn't seem to acknowledge that the basis for his "profound" insight is not from his own musings, but rather re-packaging of what had been said long before him

if you watch the actual interview where he said this, Bruce looks mighty pleased w/himself as the deliverer of such "wisdom" - he is in fact acting just the opposite of what he is espousing: the "point" of "being like water", refers to how one should avoid entrapment by one's own ego-structure - it's not some mythical concept, but rather a down-to-earth, pragmatic guide to avoiding the pitfalls of ego-based constructs like arrogance; Bruce "plays" the wise Asian master in this interview, stoking the words for dramatic effect
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k1Ug...eature=related

incidentally, in the way he managed his own life, Bruce sure didn't seem to take his own advice...

so it's a nice little ditty, but the "truth" of it is otherwise...

if bruce lee is so cool how come he doesnt have magnificent beard like guan gong?

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

everyone knows bruce lee invented fighting... he invented the 3 section staff right after he invented nunchaku... also, im pretty sure he invented china... i have video to prove it and testamonials from former students that were surgically removed from lee's scrotum after his death... and we cant forget that lee invented kung fu movies right after he invented those moving picture thangs... also, its just a rumour, i cant prove it, but he also mastered yogic flying... i heard theres video but i havent seen it yet... im pretty sure he's the reincarnation of jesus!!!

pop chop-sockey redux philosophy; Bruce was able to sound so profound because knowledge of source texts such as Yi Jing and Dao De Jing were not well known among the general TV viewing population; he certainly doesn't seem to acknowledge that the basis for his "profound" insight is not from his own musings, but rather re-packaging of what had been said long before him

if you watch the actual interview where he said this, Bruce looks mighty pleased w/himself as the deliverer of such "wisdom" - he is in fact acting just the opposite of what he is espousing: the "point" of "being like water", refers to how one should avoid entrapment by one's own ego-structure - it's not some mythical concept, but rather a down-to-earth, pragmatic guide to avoiding the pitfalls of ego-based constructs like arrogance; Bruce "plays" the wise Asian master in this interview, stoking the words for dramatic effect
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k1Ug...eature=related

incidentally, in the way he managed his own life, Bruce sure didn't seem to take his own advice...

so it's a nice little ditty, but the "truth" of it is otherwise...
    QFT +1

I am a little taken aback at times that so many people buy into the BS that was the image of Bruce Lee and who don't pay attention to cultivating their personal kung fu because of their infatuation.

That people still quote his basic plagiarized ideas as if he actually came up with it is absolutely amazing considering all that has been revealed in the 30+ years since his untimely demise (another evidence of lack of real kung fu and inability to pay attention to the advice he so loved to dole out like fortune cookies)

But then again, it's not that hard to understand. It's kind of like nationalism in a way. People love their country regardless of their understanding of it's machinations. Go figure.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

personally, i believe he trained himself into a self righteous grave... i liked the movies when i was a kid... still do i guess... but then i liked the matrix too... we have a guy that gave out so much advice but didnt follow all of it and took some of it way too far... he lacked balance and moderation... its too bad, it would be interesting to see what he would have become had he no died... or even better, if he had changed... went a taoist route or something, balanced himself out a bit... he had alot of influence, its just too bad it wasnt used for the benefit of everyone... the legacy left behind, in some cases, is embarassing... his ego was off the charts... such charisma for such a poor actor too, i mean, he played the same character in every part... he tried to play the humble role but his actions screamed to the contrary... imho

i dont hate the guy, im just annoyed by the hero worship, the fantasies and the absolute disregard for the facts...