Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    I don't agree. It should look like the fundamentals but absolutely nothing at all like the forms. It has always been said (by our own predecessors) that fighting does not and should not resemble forms. Kungfu movies have a lot to answer for.

BT
    I certainly mean no disrespect by this question. But my curiosity begs me to ask. On some level are the fundamentals not derivatives of the forms, (I apologize, I am not a mantis student, I am a student of Taiji) or are the forms not derivitaive of the fundamentals? And if those are related, should those not shine through in some way during free sparring?

PS, saw your student's videos on youtube. They looked great. And those were only the intermediate ones! Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Xutreck5601 View Post
    I certainly mean no disrespect by this question. But my curiosity begs me to ask. On some level are the fundamentals not derivatives of the forms, (I apologize, I am not a mantis student, I am a student of Taiji) or are the forms not derivitaive of the fundamentals? And if those are related, should those not shine through in some way during free sparring?

PS, saw your student's videos on youtube. They looked great. And those were only the intermediate ones! Thanks for posting.
    Thanks for the positive feedback.

Regarding forms, they are built on elements of the fundamentals. It is very likely that in the beginning there were no forms.

BT

we all know that forms hide the application so therefore if you fight and you look like you do when performing the sets your in trouble...
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    I knew a guy that was very good at 1 tech. He could pull it off on just about anything you threw at him. Punch, kick block and counters . It didnt matter to him.

don"t fear the man who does 10,000 techniques a day. fear the man who does 10,000 of the same technique a day. or some horsesh!t like that.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Fear not the man who does 10,000 techniques once......
    Fear the man who does 1 technique 10,000 times

I think that is but who the hell knows
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    Fear not the man who does 10,000 techniques once......
    Fear the man who does 1 technique 10,000 times

I think that is but who the hell knows
    that has always been my philosophy. i tell students to MASTER 3 techniques and the principles behind them.

Richard