Thread: Leitai Rules for Mantis Competition

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by cerebus View Post
    I think the main point that was being made was that if someone can't use their simplest, most basic techniques against basic targets in the controlled and relatively safe environment of a sport match, how the heck do they figure they'll be better able to use more difficult techniques against more difficult targets in the much more dangerous situation of an all-out streetfight? I have to agree with Oso and Jake on this.
    My point is that if you practice that way, why study a complex art like a kung fu style? Train in a simple art and just slug away at each other.
    I learned in martial arts and civil defense training a very simple principle: you fight how you train. If your concepts are developed and your experience happens in a sports ring, you have no guarantee that you can defend yourself against an attacker that embraces no rules and has no respect for your life.
    I work with a section of society that has a high population of ex-cons. Trust me, a broken nose or a few lost teeth would not stop these peeps from bashing your brains in. Those are the people I want to be able to defend myself against if the need arises. Those are the type of people I train to fight viciously against.

Regards,
    Richard
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 02-12-2010 at 01:14 PM.