Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ip Man 2

100 million

Still behind Hollywood, but gaining.
    UPDATED: May 5, 2010
    Ip Man 2 Sold $15 Mln in First Week
    Wilson Yip's martial-arts blockbuster Ip Man 2 has taken 100 million yuan in its first week of release at Chinese mainland cinemas

Wilson Yip's martial-arts blockbuster Ip Man 2 has taken 100 million yuan ($15 million) in its first week of release at Chinese mainland cinemas, M1905.com reports.

Over 300,000 people watched the film on its opening night on April 27, and ticket sales were close to 9 million yuan ($1.3 million). The distributor said the film also topped the box office over the 3-day May Day holiday.

However, industry observers said that with the releases of Iron Man 2 and How to Train Your Dragon in the Chinese mainland, Ip Man 2's goal of grossing 300 million yuan is far from guaranteed.

(CRIENGLISH.com May 4, 2010)
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I thought it was racist.
    It's not worth a penny!

Another thumbs up

Most of the people I know that have seen this feel it's a strong sequel, but not quite as good as the first. I think I concur with that, but feel I should see the first one again, just to be sure. It the very least, I'd say it's on par with the original. This is a sequel in the truest sense, picking up right where the first film left off. There's some enjoyable action for sure. You just can't beat Sammo and Donnie fights. That's always satisfying. Like True Legend, it has Caucasian baddies and ends in a showcase political ring match, but instead of wushu versus wrasslin, it's wing chun versus boxing. China is still trying to get over being occupied by the UK. Overall, it's pretty entertaining and I loved the ending, which totally set up Ip Man 3.

Donnie is talking about abandoning the role, which I think would be sad. It reminds me of Jet leaving Wong Fei Hung (OUATIC), but that ended on a bizarre note (and restarted on even a more bizarre note). What with The Grand Master & Herman Yau's The Legend is Born: Ip Man, Ip Man is in for a convoluted franchise.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'm really glad that the Ip Man franchise has reignited, at least temporarily, an interest in MA films in HK/China. But I can totally understand Donnie's reticence to drive the series into the ground by doing too many of the movies. Rather than create an oversaturation of Ip Man/Wing Chun films, why don't they make movies about other historical KF figures? How about films about Chan Heung, or Kuo Yun-Shen, or Dong Haiquan? Or any of a number of others. Over-saturation of just one character/historical figure/KF style will be a sure way to kill the resurgence of MA films in HK/China sooner rather than later. Like when they overdid the Wong Fei-Hong movies in the '90s. Sometimes it's best to switch gears in a particular genre before it gets too old and tired.

“This will be my final film on the subject,” said Yen. “Whenever something becomes a success, everyone would jump on the bandwagon. This is very frightening. Did you know how many IP MAN films are in production? Under such condition we would not progress. It’d only lead to over-saturation of the subject matter.”
    Righteous.

Saw Ip Man 2. The fight scene were really entertaining, but I didn't care much for the story tho. An all around good fu flick, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Rather than create an oversaturation of Ip Man/Wing Chun films, why don't they make movies about other historical KF figures? How about films about Chan Heung, or Kuo Yun-Shen, or Dong Haiquan? Or any of a number of others. .
    They could make a movie about that Eagle Claw guy master beat senseless about 5 unarmed missionaries and bragged about it

watched it last night in Melbounre.
    Great fighting seq.
    It shown the bad tradition and the good tradition of Kung Fu culture.
    When Sammo Hung fight, i told my friends: that's MY STYLE!
    The 8 diagram plam and monkey fists are entertaining.
    I thought there will be praying mantis, CLF or Eagle Claw cos that's the popular styles back then.

just picked up the dvd from the bookstore.

and viewed it

it is kind of a depressing movie. no money, 9 month before first student showed up------

some good things I like

1. lei tai on a dining table.

monkey style, ba gua, wing chun, hong fist---

2. without paying 100 hk $ due to the fishmarket boss (hong fist si fu) , yip man had to close the school.

smartly, the students practicing in the public park, no rents, no people harassing you to shut down the school, there is no school yard to close---

----

3. the contest of no contest
    the dispute of no dispute

the spirit of --

4. eating the dinner with family is more important than winning the challenge fight--
    actually there are many more important things in life than just winning a fight --

5. the theory of cutting into or occupation of the center line/road

from ankle, knee, thigh to hip/waist (from inside of the opponent both legs)
    from wrist, elbow, shoulder, neck, temple (from inside of the opponent both arms) to the center on top of the head.

monkey style is about tumbling, and changing postures fast, however the dinner table was too small and slippery to do a monkey style, WC protected its center line.

ba gua was not able to attack from side and the back, YP protected its center line from the ankle to the top/head and faced ba gua si fu with his front facing. ironically, YP was able to cut into his centerline by grabbing his leg and go along the center line of his back all the way to the head and hit his temple---

6. hong si fu wanted a son, so he kept trying and ended up with many daughters and the last kid being a son--

7. bruce lee entered the movie at the end. BL was a child actor in HK. He certainly brightened the movie, it was kind of depressing till BL showed up and the rest is history.

---

$34 million (USD?)

Yen emerges from shadow of Chan, Li
    By MIN LEE (AP) – 12 hours ago

HONG KONG — For years, Donnie Yen worked in the shadow of Jackie Chan and Jet Li. Having fought both on-screen, the 47-year-old actor was considered a worthy opponent but not necessarily a leading man in his own right.

The dynamic changed after Yen took on the role of Bruce Lee's kung fu master in 2008. "Ip Man" was a hit and two years later, the sequel was also successful. "Ip Man 2" is the top-grossing local film in China in the first half of the year with a box office take of $34 million, second only to "Avatar" and beating other Hollywood blockbusters like "Iron Man 2" and "Clash of the Titans."

With Chan and Li cutting down on output and seeking more dramatic roles, Yen is now the most prolific action star. Last year, he had three releases. This year, four are scheduled, including "Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen," which was chosen as one of the two opening movies at the Venice Film Festival in September.

His breakthrough role as Ip best showcased his personality and was right for the times, Yen told The Associated Press in a recent interview.

Yen said Chinese viewers have tired of the superhuman feats of action heroes like Lee, Li and Chan and found Ip more accessible because he "just comes off as your friend, a friendly neighbor."

"What people want to see is someone closer to the people, someone with family values, maybe even a man who's afraid of his wife, a domesticated man. We crafted this character — but at the same time he excels at kung fu. He's powerful. He can protect his family and the people around him," he said.

Film scholar David Bordwell said it's exactly that pedestrian quality, the lack of a "star persona" that has defined Yen's career.

"He isn't fierce and short-tempered like Bruce Lee was, or a comic figure like Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung," said Bordwell, a leading expert on Hong Kong cinema.

"He can play many different roles, so in a sense he might be considered the first top-rank Hong Kong martial arts star who is a character actor rather than automatically a hero," the retired University of Wisconsin at Madison professor said.

"Ip Man" marked a "major step forward" for Yen because it was a good fit and the veteran actor skillfully handled Ip's transformation from a reserved martial arts teacher to fearless defender of Chinese pride, Bordwell said.

Three years shy of 50, Yen, who was born in China and raised in Hong Kong and Boston, is capitalizing on his new level of stardom and says he has no plans to slow down. In "Legend of the Fist," he plays the nationalistic fighter Lee made famous in his 1972 movie "The Chinese Connection." In two other upcoming releases, Yen tackles the Three Kingdoms period general Guan Yu from ancient China and the mythical Monkey King. He's also working on a martial arts film with Peter Chan, a Hong Kong director best known for his love stories. The actor, who was trained by his mother, a martial arts teacher, is also fight choreographer on all four productions.

"I want to continue to make breakthroughs in kung fu film and action film," Yen said, adding his biggest challenge now is to combine dazzling fight scenes and compelling storytelling.

"Flashy, fierce and fresh fight sequences are no longer the only requirement. Now they also need to move the emotions of the audience," he said. "If the drama is unsuccessful, no matter how spectacular your fight sequences, it doesn't matter."

However, Yen, who appeared in "Highlander: Endgame," "Blade II" and "Shanghai Knights," isn't interested in a Hollywood career, preferring to focus on cultivating his following in the growing mainland market, calling it a "golden opportunity."

"For an actor, a Chinese-speaking filmmaker, given how gloriously the mainland Chinese market has developed in the past few years — foreign markets can't match the kind of creative space that brings," he said.
    Donnie is spot on with this closing comment.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Donnie is, by far, my fav MA actor, period.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Anyone seen Legend of the fist yet?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I didn't think Legend came out yet.

The last release date I heard was Sep 21 - see here.

Here's our Legend of the Fist thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thumbs up

I just viewed ip man biography before ip man 1 and ip man 2.

really enjoyed it.

Ip Man the Movie 2

I have just seen Ip Man the movie 2. It was great. Although I was kinda of disappointed with his fight with the White guy who does boxing. It almost glorifies western style fighting and gives off the impression that western fighters are stronger and more comptent fighters than the chinese?

What do you think about this movie?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"