Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southern Dog Style Kung Fu

Southern Dog Style Kung Fu

I recently heard from my Kung Fu teacher of a takedown/ground-fighting kung fu system called Dog. I googled and youtubed it and eventually found an instructional video on Southern Family Dog Fist Wushu from Plumpub.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any helpful form/technique books for assistance in learning this style. So far the video is very helpful and teaches the form set (which looks really entertaining; may have to tweak some things when used to make it more practical though) and am just curious if others have gone down this route and maybe have some hints/advice.

Josepherd

- Never Fold

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    i've heard of it but never seen any. Maybe someone else here has some insight. So what you seen, was it a form laying on the ground then??

That probably did look funny.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Wink

Here ya go, just scroll down to the bottom. I reccomend the Nan Shaolin Leg Techniques book, it gives you a nice amount of techniques, applications and even an Iron Jow Recipe for your leg (DON'T DO WITHOUT SUPERVISION BY CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR!) Besides its the only book in English that I know of.

If you can read Chinese, then I would also go with the book by Ding Xiao Se. It seems to contain a fair amount of the Dishuquan repetoire (for a book).
    Last edited by Tao Of The Fist; 02-12-2010 at 08:06 AM.
    Although the changes are infinite, the principles are the same.
    - Wang Tsung Yueh

To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.
    - Sun Tzu

Boards don't hit back.
    - Bruce Lee

Awesome! Thanks for the help. With the growing popularity of MMA and BJJ ground fighters I feel the need to protect myself on all fronts including the ground.

I'd rather not go to the ground but if it becomes that way then i'd like a good way to strike/defend until I can get back on my feet again.

hum wish they had some vids of it I would be interested to see some of the techniques and compare them with some of the other grappling arts i do.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    hum wish they had some vids of it I would be interested to see some of the techniques and compare them with some of the other grappling arts i do.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyj9PH_f9JE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAK7fSWnPgs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OQgm-kQJck

The middle link is a trailer for the instructional VCD you can get from PlumPub

Quote Originally Posted by neverfold View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for the help. With the growing popularity of MMA and BJJ ground fighters I feel the need to protect myself on all fronts including the ground.

I'd rather not go to the ground but if it becomes that way then i'd like a good way to strike/defend until I can get back on my feet again.
    You do realize that Dishuquan has a very different definition of ground fighting in comparison to BJJ? You would probably be the one to go to the ground first with the intention of bringing your opponent with you. Example, someone throws a punch (of course). A Dishuquan response would be to grab the arm, fall back to the ground (pulling your opponent foward and down) and either kick to the knee or groin. Of course since youve seen these videos you should know that.

If you really want to learn your ground game like MMA, I reccomend that you either practice wrestling with people (and often) or learn to use your qinna on the ground (and practice often).
    Last edited by Tao Of The Fist; 02-12-2010 at 08:30 AM.
    Although the changes are infinite, the principles are the same.
    - Wang Tsung Yueh

To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.
    - Sun Tzu

Boards don't hit back.
    - Bruce Lee

Maybe going down first would be an advantage against a BJJ guy. If they know you do Kung Fu and aren't expecting you to be so willing to go to the ground, then you could really catch them off guard with a dog style technique and then manipulate them quickly into submission with proper Chin Na. But yeah, I must practice a lot Thanks again!

watched vids. Wasn't what i thought it might be. first vid was all wushu crap. The tech. I saw them doing were not very practical moves and seemed like they would be hard to pull off against a resistant opponent.
    Maybe going down first would be an advantage against a BJJ guy. If they know you do Kung Fu and aren't expecting you to be so willing to go to the ground, then you could really catch them off guard with a dog style technique and then manipulate them quickly into submission with proper Chin Na. But yeah, I must practice a lot Thanks again!
    haha well considering all a BJJ guy wants to do is go to the ground I don't think that would be the right approach. Of course you could catch someone off guard but your entering their zone when you give way to the ground. If you've never grappled with a skilled BJJ or JJ opponent then you don't understand that it's not that easy. Some of the techniques I saw in the vids (of course there are probably more) were not something you could do while in guard or taken down. They were sacrifice moves which give postion to try for specific thing. BJJ/judo/JJ are all arts that thrive on positioning. Don't see the advantage you would gain. Of course everyone to there own and me watching 3 vids doesn't give me the right to say other. But from just watching some of the tech. I can say that they do not work ground like BJJ/Judo/JJ/ or even wrestling for that matter. They look to be more oriented towards sacrifice moves and speed. The forms didn't look to have that much power representation IMO. Just my thought here.

This might elucidate why most CMAs don't emphasize ground fighting.

Di Tang ground boxing=Dog boxing...ie a dog lays on the ground. I believe to call someone a dog in Chinese culture is a pretty bad insult.

EO

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    you would do better to find a person skilled at the Joi Bot Sien-Eight Drunken Immortals form. It has within the set, suplexes, sweeps, single and double leg takedown, throws, triangles, scissors,etc.
    But trying to find an authentic version, and not a wu-shu or made up movie garbage form is very difficult.
    You'd do better to learn judo incl ne-waza, shuai-jiao, and/or bjj
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    you would do better to find a person skilled at the Joi Bot Sien-Eight Drunken Immortals form. It has within the set, suplexes, sweeps, single and double leg takedown, throws, triangles, scissors,etc.
    I believe that Tungmojing teaches that; or wait, rather he used to teach that, before he pledged his life to teaching only CLF...; until he started teaching only Tung Mo...; until he started teaching only Hung...

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    But trying to find an authentic version, and not a wu-shu or made up movie garbage form is very difficult.
    You'd do better to learn judo incl ne-waza, shuai-jiao, and/or bjj
    you magnificent, glorified cross-training fargin ice-hole bastige!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I believe that Tungmojing teaches that; or wait, rather he used to teach that, before he pledged his life to teaching only CLF...; until he started teaching only Tung Mo...; [SIZE="1"]until he started teaching only Hung...

the Eight Immortals style that he teaches is not what I was referring to.

you magnificent, glorified cross-training fargin ice-hole bastige!

-and then some.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Greetings,

I would recommend the book be Chen Zhi Fan. It is all ground technique. I bought that book back in the '80's (different cover). If you are looking for insights on how to turn a disadvantageous situation (being grounded) into a advantageous one, the book can be helpful. Notice that I said INSIGHTS, I did not say techniques. The techniques presented appear to be most effective against an unsuspecting opponent; e.g., rolling forward and using your straight leg to down someone with the rolling action: in MMA, when improperly timed, you would be giving your opponent your leg to submit you with or to break in a street combat situation.

mickey