Thread: Would LOve To Be In Vancouver This Week

Hybrid View

BD you consistantly provide antagonism, its your forte'. i get it. But do you have anything to say besides conspricy theories, your seething hatred for your country and blind support of Obama and his destructive policies? Your support of this pack of weirdos protesting at the Olympics, arent the Games supposed to represent all of us coming together? something the left should love. Even in the grecian era all parties agreed to put down their arms to participate in athletic events it was understood that you really defeat a man in athletic games rather then killing him. a very noble ideal. Isnt this the type of thing lefties and thier kumbaya singing be all for? then why support anarchist lunatics?

The ideal and spirit of the Olympic games are a far cry to what it has become.

Billions are being spent by Vancouver to host the games while homeless people go hungry. Games are being held on indigeous lands stolen from the rightful owners.

Also, as far as I know, not one participate has spoken out about these problems. Someone has to.

Wouldn't it be nice if this Olympics had heros like Tommie Smith and John Carlos.
    Last edited by BoulderDawg; 02-17-2010 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    The ideal and spirit of the Olympic games are a far cry to what it has become.

Billions are being spent by Vancouver to host the games while homeless people go hungry. Games are being held on indigeous lands stolen from the rightful owners.

Also, as far as I know, not one participate has spoken out about these problems. Someone has to.

Wouldn't it be nice if this Olympics had heros like Tommie Smith and John Carlos.
    The native people who welcomed them to Vancouver? Yes, they looked very upset. Why, even their own native news was commending their performance. You tend to follow fake natives anyway, so you aren't exactly credible here.

As for the homeless... think for a single second. The money spent in Vancouver pales in comparison to the dollars brought in for local businesses, and probably gave one or more of those homeless people a job due to the massive influx of people. But you don't understand a single thing about the free market, so I'm not expecting you to understand this.

You can mail this one out too. Coward.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    The native people who welcomed them to Vancouver? Yes, they looked very upset. Why, even their own native news was commending their performance. You tend to follow fake natives anyway, so you aren't exactly credible here.

As for the homeless... think for a single second. The money spent in Vancouver pales in comparison to the dollars brought in for local businesses, and probably gave one or more of those homeless people a job due to the massive influx of people. But you don't understand a single thing about the free market, so I'm not expecting you to understand this.
    Well put.

People tend to forget that when bussinesses do well, they expand and thus hire more workers. It's common sense, but sadly some people lack it.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

BD, you should just stick with "I wish I was there" instead of attempting any sort of observational commenting in regards to the OC.
    It's clear you are garnering information in regards to Natives in BC from some skewed source.

All participants were members of various tribal groups as well as metis peoples from the prairies.

there were no" hollywood indians" there at all.

Instead of wishing, maybe you should come! Then you could learn a couple of things about or first nations peoples and what they do and don't do etc etc.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Vancouver is larger than I thought!
    Isn't there a large Chinese population, a majority from Hong Kong?

I love the Olympics

Like I said on the 2012 thread, the winter games don't hold as much appeal for me because there's no real martial events beyond biathalon, but I still enjoy the spectacle.
    After Skating, a Unique Olympic Event: Crying
    By JULIET MACUR
    Published: February 21, 2010

VANCOUVER, British Columbia — For sheer spectacle, the Olympics offer the opening ceremony, the closing ceremony and dozens of medal ceremonies in between. For sheer awkwardness, they offer the kiss-and-cry area.

After performing, figure skaters retreat with their coaches to a spot just off the rink to wait for their scores, sometimes for several minutes. With cameras in their faces and microphones picking up every sound, a scene unfolds unlike any other in sports, often filled with anxiety, tears or exultation — or all three.

The raw emotion of the kiss-and-cry scene has become so compelling that it commands a level of stagecraft rarely seen off the field of play. Last week, viewers had a front seat for Evan Lysacek’s sob session after the men’s short program, in which he skated cleanly to set up his gold medal performance two days later.

“I kept wanting to say, ‘Stop it, just stop it,’ ” his coach, Frank Carroll, said. “I’m very stoic in a way, very disciplined, and I think, when the ski jumpers, when they win, they don’t start to cry. Let’s put it this way: I don’t like figure skaters to cry.”

But, in case one does, broadcasters like NBC, which will cover the ice dancing free skate Monday and the women’s final Thursday at the Winter Games, are happy to capture the moment. No doubt it has played a role in figure skating’s status as a ratings powerhouse for the Olympics.

“For the skaters, it could be a few minutes of torture,” said David Michaels, a senior producer for NBC’s Olympics coverage and the network’s director for figure skating. “It’s good for us.

“It’s such a big part of our coverage now. It’s gone from a blue curtain and a bucket of flowers on the side to plastic ice sculptures and crazy sets. It’s become a big design element that everyone works hard to figure out.”

Michaels said that the event organizers were in charge of designing the kiss-and-cry area, but that NBC reviewed those plans. The network often adjusts the lighting to make it look more realistic and less like a TV set, he said, adding that one of NBC’s cameras is attached to a small crane that swoops into the kiss-and-cry from above.

When the Olympics were first televised worldwide in the 1960s, the set was much simpler, with no formal place for skaters to wait for their scores. A reporter and a camera operator would often catch them as they stepped off the ice.

At the 1980 Winter Games in Lake Placid, N.Y., the off-ice area was spruced up with foliage, producers said. By the 1984 Sarajevo Games, a formal area with a bench appeared. The 1988 Calgary Games unveiled a major set, with a designed backdrop and lights.

Though different producers have different recollections of the way the kiss-and-cry area got its name, the gist of it is that someone at a network said: ‘This is the place where the skaters kiss, this is the place where skaters cry. It’s the kiss-and-cry!” By the early ’90s, the name had stuck, said Doug Wilson, the longtime producer and director at ABC who orchestrated that network’s figure skating coverage for more than 40 years.

The opportunity to turn figure skating into theater was there for the taking, Wilson said.

“The value of the kiss-and-cry is basic: find out what the marks are,” he said. “But the real value is that you see these people with their guards down. It’s a very special time. Most people don’t think about it, but if you add up the total amount of airtime that the kiss-and-cry gets relative to the skating, it’s a large percentage.”

Clutching stuffed toys thrown to them from fans, some skaters look stunned. Some are deliriously happy, or at least pretend to be, as they wave awkwardly into the camera or say hello to people at home. Some use secret gestures to convey messages to friends and relatives. Others have learned to quietly grumble through clenched teeth, so they seem to be smiling.

Some talk to themselves. At the 1993 world championships in Prague, Nancy Kerrigan of the United States let her emotions loose after a poor free skate, saying she could not believe what happened — in a dozen different ways. She ended her soliloquy, “I want to die.”

At times, the situation becomes so tense that the coaches and athletes appear to be on a blind date gone bad. The performance does not end when the skater leaves the ice.

Carroll, 71, who has coached at 10 Olympics, said he tries to refrain from speaking to his skaters because microphones are everywhere.

“My friends at home say I’ve got to smile more, but what am I supposed to say? Oh, wonderful, she just lost her national championship. Great,” he said. “You want to talk about what is good and bad, but you end up saying things that have no meaning.”

Some national skating federations put their skaters through training for the kiss-and-cry. Mark Ladwig, who skates with Amanda Evora in pairs, said he had attended a U.S. Figure Skating training program in which skaters participated in a mock kiss-and-cry.

“The videos showed people fidgeting, playing with their mouth, and showed which girls were sitting here like this, very unladylike,” Ladwig said as he parted his knees. “For Amanda and I, we make sure that everything is crossed and that we look like proud Team USA members. We’re a very technical sport, but we’re a sport of aesthetics, too.”

Ladwig and other skaters say they are never told what to say — or what not to say — in the kiss-and-cry but are reminded that every moment is being watched. Perhaps no one knows that more than Jeremy Abbott, a two-time United States champion.

At the 2008 national championships, he saw his score and cursed. After his performance at nationals the next year, he proceeded to make shooting gestures, into the camera and into his head. Then he screamed, “I love kung fu!” because he had been inspired by the movie “Kung Fu Panda.”

“I was just being a cheesy guy, not trying to be disrespectful or anything,” Abbott said. “U.S. Figure Skating told me that they got complaints, so I had to tone it down.”

**** Button, a two-time Olympic champion and longtime skating commentator, said the kiss-and-cry was made for unscripted moments like those.

“It’s television, honey, come on,” Button said. “It’s what makes television.”
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    BD, you should just stick with "I wish I was there" instead of attempting any sort of observational commenting in regards to the OC.
    It's clear you are garnering information in regards to Natives in BC from some skewed source.

All participants were members of various tribal groups as well as metis peoples from the prairies.

there were no" hollywood indians" there at all.

Instead of wishing, maybe you should come! Then you could learn a couple of things about or first nations peoples and what they do and don't do etc etc.
    Since I've read dozens of books on the matter and actually know members of the various tribes I think I'm qualified to give an opinion.

Tell me how you came about your knowledge of the various indigeous people in BC?

I don't know what you mean by Hollywood indians but if you mean indians who paints there faces, puts on some colorful costume then dance for white people then you must have missed the opening ceremonies.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/287572

Maybe by Hollywood Indians he means someone who has a spray-on tan, runs around barefoot, and wears Billy Jack attire.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams