Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: wing chun mma fighter trying out for M1 global

Blog Entries

wing chun mma fighter trying out for M1 global

I absolutely appreciate what Obasi's trying to do for wing chun. But that display, while understandable, probably wasn't the best way to express his disappointment with the situation.

Those m-1 guys were obviously looking for a specific type of fighter, and "tryouts" shouldn't be based on how well you can kick thai pads. You shouldn't have to kick at all for that matter. If you're a boxer and BJJ guy you can do just as well in a cage.

It seems evident though they wanted guys who could fight the way they want it done. A little counterproductive to the whole idea of MMA...but its their organization and they can do what they want. It would have been nice to see obasi knock that guy out though...especially after he says something like "I've trained twice as long as you".

So to Obasi (if he reads these forums) -- Don't worry you'll get your chance...try talking to the UFC to get on one of the TUF series. Then you'll prove yourself and make a name for yourself and wing chun. Good luck you man!
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

i dont get it. i couldnt understand what that trainer was saying. why did they deny him?

Because they thought he sucked, for lack of better words. When he was hitting the pads they said he wasn't good enough.

Obasi was saying "I'm not a thai fighter--I'm a wing chun guy!"
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    Because they thought he sucked, for lack of better words. When he was hitting the pads they said he wasn't good enough.

Obasi was saying "I'm not a thai fighter--I'm a wing chun guy!"
    still should have been able to kick the pads even if he studies WC. that guy seems a bit mentally unstable

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    still should have been able to kick the pads even if he studies WC. that guy seems a bit mentally unstable
    Yea...that's what I mean when I said it wasn't the best way to illustrate his disappointment. It makes HIM look like the bad guy, and I agree some of the statements were a little odd...like "I've had many lifetimes of training...not just 27 years!" ????

But as far as kicking the thai pads, perhaps he doesn't have the flexibility in his legs to do it? He's NEVER done it before...so that's like saying that I can take any person off the street and have them kick thai pads properly. Yea, it might be easy for some, but for others maybe not.
    Last edited by SAAMAG; 03-19-2010 at 08:31 PM.

M1 is a brand name, these guys invest money in it. It is a business, and Shawn obviously isn't emotionally ready to represent M 1 its obvious. Being a professional is a lot more than kicking some pads, its about representing yourself and your company in a respectful and professional way. The whole tryout is a test, not just on physical ability but also on mind set and maturity. Its also about marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    Yea...that's what I mean when I said it wasn't the best way to illustrate his disappointment. It makes HIM look like the bad guy, and I agree some of the statements were a little odd...like "I've had many lifetimes of training...not just 27 years!" ????

But as far as kicking the thai pads, perhaps he doesn't have the flexibility in his legs to do it? He's NEVER done it before...so that's like saying that I can take any person off the street and have them kick thai pads properly. Yea, it might be easy for some, but for others maybe not.
    WC has kicks like an MT round kick. not exactly, but similar. they werent holding the back that high.

jesus what a moaner they should have just let him fight and had someone knock his moaning ass out

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    WC has kicks like an MT round kick. not exactly, but similar. they werent holding the back that high.
    While this is true, it isn't true because there are variances in wing chun practices. Some schools never teach the round kick (au gurk) and some do. But I believe he trains with Grados...don't know if the round kick is something Grados does a lot of or not.

But true, the pads weren't really that high

Anyone who calls himself a true fighter should be able to throw a round kick, give me a break, go hit a bag for a few hours a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    jesus what a moaner they should have just let him fight and had someone knock his moaning ass out
    lol exactly!!!

i mean the guys an ass really you have to be a fool to step in there not prepared

i know my limitations as a martial artists and know im not ready for mma yet mainly because im behind in grappling ive accpeted it and will fix the problem isntead of trying to whine about it

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    lol exactly!!!

i mean the guys an ass really you have to be a fool to step in there not prepared

i know my limitations as a martial artists and know im not ready for mma yet mainly because im behind in grappling ive accpeted it and will fix the problem isntead of trying to whine about it
    it goes deeper than that though...this is a job interview with a profesional sports organisation, anyone with half a brain would have researched the company, found out what tests they would run and then prepared accordingly. I mean would you go to a job interview without doing some background checks on the firm?
    Also I have a hard time thinking they only tested his round kick (just because thats the only part of the test on film does not mean its all they tested), even if they didn't let him do the rest of the tests (grappling, clinch fitness etc) they would have watched him warm up etc these guys are pros when it comes to judging someones ability to defend themselves in the ring, and watching someone fall over as he kicks the pads probably set off alarm bells along with everything else they saw.

And finally what kind of individual gets into a shouting match with a prospective employer on TV, does he not think that other organisations will not see this and want nothing to do with him?

Lots of assumptions...

If they wanted to be fair then they could have just let him fight/spar..

I could care less if he can do good round kicks... Yip Man never taught a round kick..

"He only thinks about his way of fighting..." Hmmmmm... So folks have to fight a certain way? What happened to fight your own fight?

On the other hand, he had no control or enough sense to stay rational, this may well speak to his level of WCK....

Another brick in the wall for WCK...
    Last edited by YungChun; 03-21-2010 at 03:41 AM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    Lots of assumptions...

If they wanted to be fair then they could have just let him fight/spar..

I could care less if he can do good round kicks... Yip Man never taught a round kick..

"He only thinks about his way of fighting..." Hmmmmm... So folks have to fight a certain way? What happened to fight your own fight?

On the other hand, he had no control or enough sense to stay rational, this may well speak to his level of WCK....

Another brick in the wall for WCK...
    yes lots of assumptions...we don't know what else they tested him on all we saw was a little clip of him trying to kick and falling over... and then crying about it.... having known guys that have tried out for various organisations they are tested on alot more than just kicking the pads