Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good WCK clips

I've always liked these guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zta9Rd22Gog

And I like wooden men clips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgho1AZvLWY
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

All this dummy work, forms, and chi sao doesn't distinguish good wing chun from bad. Drilling from realistic movement and credible demonstrations of application are the only things that separate good WC from bad. We are just as likely to see good WC from a JKDers and boxers as anything else.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 02-16-2010 at 04:17 PM.

What I don't like is when people who can't PLAY golf well (who isn't a good fighter) try to show or tell others how to play golf well (how to fight well).
    Yeah, I hate it when you do that.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    What I don't like is when people who can't PLAY golf well (who isn't a good fighter) try to show or tell others how to play golf well (how to fight well).
    What about Tiger's wife? She can't play the game, but she sure knows how to use a club.
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Because I can separate the curriculum from application -- in TCMAs they are two distinct, separate things.

I like seeing the "older"curriculums because it can give us insight into how WCK was taught in the past.
    Who cares how it was taught, if it can't be applied?
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Because I can separate the curriculum from application -- in TCMAs they are two distinct, separate things.
    Sorry but this is a load IMO..

No the teacher need not be the UFC champ but there are many skills needed to teach the system.. As you once said--if you can't 'do it' in a cooperative drill, then you certainly can't do it in fighting... And the truth is that there are many 'teachers' who can't even begin to 'do it' in the drills.. And if they can't 'do it' in the drills, (or do something goofy instead) they can't pass on those skills. If they can't 'do it' they can't give the student the feel for the skill, the skills, the contact training will be missing, absent, lacking and not 'okay' because the teacher doesn't have the skills.. Some of WCK training is taught on a non-verbal level, through feel and contact.. If the teacher can't do this they can't teach it..

I know you (T) have said this represents a low level of skill but it takes years to develop it to a decent level.. The student is dependent on the teacher to pass on many different skills in what I would call the classical curriculum and without a skilled teacher who can do WCK in an alive setting be it drills, sparring, whatever then the students will be short changed and probably never be able to move into any kind of application in drills and certainly not in fighting.. As you say if you can't do it, then you can't teach it and there is a lot of *doing* and learning via same in the classical curriculum.
    Last edited by YungChun; 02-17-2010 at 12:06 AM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    What about Tiger's wife? She can't play the game, but she sure knows how to use a club.
    I wondered who would use my golf analogy to spin off into a Tiger joke. Well done, Sir! Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    Sorry but this is a load IMO..

No the teacher need not be the UFC champ but there are many skills needed to teach the system.. As you once said--if you can't 'do it' in a cooperative drill, then you certainly can't do it in fighting... And the truth is that there are many 'teachers' who can't even begin to 'do it' in the drills.. And if they can't 'do it' in the drills, (or do something goofy instead) they can't pass on those skills. If they can't 'do it' they can't give the student the feel for the skill, the skills, the contact training will be missing, absent, lacking and not 'okay' because the teacher doesn't have the skills.. Some of WCK training is taught on a non-verbal level, through feel and contact.. If the teacher can't do this they can't teach it..
    Why do you call WCK "the system"? Just call it what it is -- WCK.

WCK is a skill set, and the curriculum is to impart that skill set in an unrealistic environment. The forms, drills, dummy, etc.. teach us the skills. And certainly, if you can't do chi sao, you can't teach it. The distinction, however, is that while you are learning a skill set, the curriculum doesn't teach you to apply -- fight with -- that skill set. To sue an analogy, it is teaching you how the pieces move in chess, but it is not teaching you how to play the game well (how to move the pieces effectively in a game). You only learn to do that like all fighters learn how to apply their skill sets: by fighting.

I know you (T) have said this represents a low level of skill but it takes years to develop it to a decent level..
    No, it doesn't. If it takes a person "years" to acquire the skill set, then they are either being milked (for $) or the teaching is extremely poor. The core curriculum can be acquired in a fairly short time. It's not that complicated. Learning how the pieces move in chess is the easy part.

The student is dependent on the teacher to pass on many different skills in what I would call the classical curriculum and without a skilled teacher who can do WCK in an alive setting be it drills, sparring, whatever then the students will be short changed and probably never be able to move into any kind of application in drills and certainly not in fighting.. As you say if you can't do it, then you can't teach it and there is a lot of *doing* and learning via same in the classical curriculum.
    Actually, most of that time is a pure waste of time and involves trying to "perfect" the curriculum -- the performance of the forms,drills, dummy, etc. And really, none of that matters. It doesn't matter how "good" your forms are or how well you play chi sao. What matters is how well you can fight using WCK tools. You could learn WCK without forms or chi sao -- you can learn it directly from a sparring platform, like you do boxing or BJJ or many other MAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    This girl has a lot of potential. I am not high on the training that she is doing though.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    This girl has a lot of potential. I am not high on the training that she is doing though.
    Yep...she's got great skill and it was a nice demo. She's impressive. But to fair his hands were just as good.

But I'd hate to see what happens to either one when someone is trying to hit them with something more than patty cake strikes.

Fast hands and good reactions though.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

No, it doesn't. If it takes a person "years" to acquire the skill set, then they are either being milked (for $) or the teaching is extremely poor. The core curriculum can be acquired in a fairly short time. It's not that complicated. Learning how the pieces move in chess is the easy part.
    The skills acquired in good WCK training are not like learning how to move chess pieces.. One is informational, the other is a learned skill.. (kung-fu)

In the case of learning how to instantly apply WCK techniques given the correct conditions (energy and position, et. al.), with correct timing, release of real power, fan sao, etc, in an alive manner takes time and a skilled teacher..

If students never get that training they will never be able to apply that training. Most of what we see folks doing in these drills shows that they can't do it in the drill.. Yet you say it's like learning rules.

Unless you are talking 'caveman WCK', then no it won't take much time at all and the training then would/could be virtually informational..

You think what Yip Man could 'do' to his students in class is akin to learning how chess pieces move? Then why didn't we see his students tossing around little old Yip?

Makes not a lick of sense.
    Last edited by YungChun; 02-17-2010 at 07:26 PM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Though we study different lineages here I'm sure people see good things in WC branches out side of their own. Of course there will be things in other lineages that you'll disagree with but I think it would be refreshing to see people make positive comments on good the things instead of the usual negative bashing. I don't think I'm being too idealistic because I talk with other WChunners who feel the same way.
    I'll start off by posting clips I think have value. Hopefullyl others will do the same.
    Now what I might think is good might not be for others but here goes.
    I'll start with this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU_6MHQIpmI
    with all due respect i would say that video tape is a good example of what not to do and what WC is not about--that is if you think WC is about simultaneous fluid movements.

these guys are blocking and then striking in two seperate movements
    they are also completely telegraphing their front kicks, as well as breaking a kick into two seperate and distinct motions (knee up and then thrust)

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    T
    You think what Yip Man could 'do' to his students in class is akin to learning how chess pieces move? Then why didn't we see his students tossing around little old Yip?
    Because everyone played his chi sao game and none of them ever tried to actually tried to fight him with real resistance.

I just found this clip from Italy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uycp3...eature=related
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Not wing chun...

...but curious about what you guys think of this vid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bfdabj06SU

And some follow up questions:

How do you think your wing chun would fare against these guys?
    What kinds of problems would they give you?
    What openings do you see in their game for your wing chun to exploit?
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 03-23-2010 at 08:31 PM.