Thread: For those of us that no longer identify with a single "style" of martial arts...

For those of us that no longer identify with a single "style" of martial arts...

I've always been intriqued with seeing how people came to be where they are at present. So what was your circumstance for learning varying martial arts? E.G. did you decide learn other arts because you simply had a yearning for new material? Was it due to changing environmental factors (like the resource no longer being available or perhaps due to econonmic circumstances)? Could it have been through your learning processes (such as in learning the style you found that your experiences weren't quite what you wanted, or seeing that others cannot perform what they are say they can, or perhaps through simple reasoning and logic you realized that limitations existed)?

For me personally, the reasons why I've found myself where I am was due to a couple of things. First, I always learned everything I could whenever I could. If someone knew any martial art--I asked to learn of it. It was my belief that the more knowledge I could get, the better I could discern what worked and what didn't--and that the universal truths about combat would be revealed to me. The second reason--and this is probably the more common one--was that my instruction with the teacher would be hindered or blocked. Either the teacher moved away, or I moved away, or life would get in the way (like working and going to school simultaneously). On a couple of rare occasions, I decided that it was time for me to move on when I found that my skill level met or exceeded the teachers in that respective style. That happened only twice in my martial arts "career" however. Of course, there were indirect reasons to be sure...observations and conclusions made about every experience...but those are for another topic I suppose.

For now, how did you end up where you're at today from a martial arts perspective?
    Last edited by SAAMAG; 02-16-2010 at 12:15 AM.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

ive learned whatever was available as long as it was good instruction i didnt care what it was

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Definitely the environment for me. I've moved around a bit for work.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    have absorbed many different ideas from differing styles. But my base will always be KF. I learn something new almost every class i go to and i hope to keep it that way. Switching it up every now and then keep you on your toes and exposes you to different lines of thought.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Location, location and location.
    No one ever decides that multiple systems and teachers is THE way to go.
    So much easier to get everything from one place if you can.

I have lived and trained in Europe ( Lived in Portugal and trained in Portugal, Spain and even Holland), in Macao, In Canada and even some training in Brasil.
    I have always been dependant on what I could get withing traveling distance and sometimes that was Boxing or TKD or hung Kuen or Judo, other times I sought out what I need to KNOW.
    I doubt that one place could have given me the over all exposure to the different systems I have encountered though and that has been a HUGE plus.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I seek out people who are enthusiastic and diligent about their practice in martial arts.

I invite them to train and exchange with me.

It is through others and their input that I came to appreciate the shortcomings of what I did know and the wide open universe of what it is possible to touch upon!

Kung Fu is good for you.