Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your Chinese name?

what's your chinese name?

Many of us gwai lo (for this translation i mean non chinese and please don't take it as an insult yada yada yada as much as you may want to express that it is a bad thing to say to a whitey or westerner an so on) who have been in martial arts of china for a while usually at some point have a chinese name bestowed upon us by someone we've met along the way, or someone who has taught us, or given us a lesson or whatever.

Chinese folks get to picj their western name when they come over or they recieve a western name when born here. For the most part, the tables aren't fully turned on that point, but who cares, point is....

what's your chinese name?

Mines right there in my chops avatar.

What's yours and why did you get tagged with it?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I dont actually have a chinese name although I have come to the stage where I want one. Usually when I was travelling through china I was called 'yingguo' or whatever the chinese word is for english.

The problem with the whole english/chinese name is you cant really have your english name translated.....like all the suckers who get calligraphy written for them. You can translate the syllabols from english to chinese but not the essence.....if you get me. It doesnt work as chinese names are usually poetic, whereas ours are just names. I think that the better way to translate your name would be to find what your english name means, and then translate the concept into chinese......otherwise when you say your 'so called' 'chinese name' it doesnt actually make that much sense.

craig

Donno if this counts but my name in my native language is like gift from god or given from the divine . So i guess that would be it translated into chinese.

cheers you just emphasized my point

craig

Du Tit Lung.

杜鈇龍
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Gene Ching!
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

I have never received a chinese name, but received them in other styles I train(ed)

Judo: bull, python

thai boxing: Thunder kick

capoeira: Besta (beast)
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfoot
    I dont actually have a chinese name although I have come to the stage where I want one. Usually when I was travelling through china I was called 'yingguo' or whatever the chinese word is for english.

The problem with the whole english/chinese name is you cant really have your english name translated.....like all the suckers who get calligraphy written for them. You can translate the syllabols from english to chinese but not the essence.....if you get me. It doesnt work as chinese names are usually poetic, whereas ours are just names. I think that the better way to translate your name would be to find what your english name means, and then translate the concept into chinese......otherwise when you say your 'so called' 'chinese name' it doesnt actually make that much sense.

craig

What DJ is referring to is a nick name. No different than the tag name that pro fighters use. Many arts have unwritten traditions of nicknaming; capoeira is one of these. You will receive a nick from someone other than you, typically someone higher rank than you. It not just having your name translated.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Mine's Liu Mang

OK, just kidding. Liu Mang is the literal translation of 'rogue'

My Shaolin name is Xinglong. That's 32nd gen for Xing. Long as in Dragon. The monks said I should be like a dragon and bring Shaolin to America. My birth name is Chen Xing Hua. Chen as in Chen Taiji - the character can be broken down into 'ear to the east'. Xing Hua means like 'prosperous splendor' or something like that.

If anyone wants a Chinese name, I'd be happy to make one up for you.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Funny, my Sifu just offered to give me one a few weeks ago, what he came up with was....Horses, Stream, Up, he gave me the characters, but I dont remember how to say it, on the real ....I was truly blessed to have such a good Sifu!.

Skard1 aka ....Ma...something ...something
    skarbro -- you're in, brother. your sole responsibility -- mock temple kung fu. -rubthebuddha

Its not what goes in a man that defile's him, its what comes out.

www.torontohiphop.com

Tai Qin Long = Great Royal Dragon
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Golden rat or metal rat Jing Shu is the nickname.

It is my birth sign or horoscope.

Pu Ti Shen

Talking

They call me 'Dances with Wolves'.

when i was in china people called sun wu kiong cause im hairy and remind them of a monkey. also got happy guy (cause of my excessive drinking i guess) as my name in china might as well let them assign it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.