Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: What's your Chinese name?

i have been called "crackle" at work, in reference to the rice crispy elves - in the winter i wear a big beanie that my boss says makes me look like an elf... i'd go into the sumerian aspects of U.KI and it's relation to spiritual journeys, pre-determined incarnations, coded genetic memory sequences, triggers, geometric implants, and cyclic celestial time locks, but i don't wanna bore the board with my monotonous ramblings.

Banning English names?

Netizens find China’s alleged ban of celebs using English names excessive
    Lim Yian Lu

Fri, 2 September 2022, 4:07 AM·2-min read

Will Angelababy change her name back to Yang Ying? (PHOTO: AP/Ng Han Guan)
    Chinese screenwriter Wang Hailin claimed on his Weibo on Thursday (1 September) that, under the request of the Chinese National Radio and Television Administration (NRTA), Chinese artistes are not allowed to use names in foreign languages. This includes names that look foreign.

He explained, “Yang Ying can no longer use Angelababy, and La Mu Yang Zi (which looks like a Japanese name) has to use her Chinese name.”

Although the claim has not been verified, Chinese influencer-turned-actress La Mu Yang Zi’s Weibo post on Thursday seemed to indirectly confirm the news.

She announced that she will be reverting to her birth name Li Jiaqi. She told her fans, “If you find my name difficult to remember, just call me by my nickname Xiao La.”

However, the alleged ban did not sit well with the Chinese netizens.

Some of them questioned if the Chinese state-owned broadcaster CCTV will change its logo, which is made up of English characters. Others felt that it was an “overkill” and mocked that they might as well cancel English classes and ban English songs and international films.

In response to the heated discussion, Wang added that this isn’t a new rule. Since 20 years ago, the NRTA had already requested that drama subtitles cannot have English names. For instance, “Cindy” has to be modified to the Chinese equivalent “Xin Di”.

Apparently, the supposed ban of using English names is not just limited to the media industry.

Last year, some netizens pointed out that a new subway train line in Beijing has changed the naming of the stations. Instead of calling it “XX Station”, they have used “XX Zhan”, which is the pronunciation of “station” in Chinese.

The Beijing Subway had replied then that they started changing some of the station names according to the requirements of China’s Geographical Names Regulations and the Hanyu Pinyin scheme.

Wang has been known for being overly critical towards the Chinese entertainment culture. He has previously called out stars like Xiao Zhan, Dilireba, Cai Xu Kun, and Lu Han. Although some supported his views and understood his concerns, many were offended by his extreme remarks.
    I've always thought Angelababy was a weird name, but what about Jackie and Jet? Those aren't Chinese names. Perhaps they don't count because they don't go by them in PRC.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I've always thought Angelababy was a weird name, but what about Jackie and Jet? Those aren't Chinese names. Perhaps they don't count because they don't go by them in PRC.
    Uh, one of my students also has the Chinese name Jiaqi that sounds like Jackie, so she spells it that way here in America, even though its not short for Jacqueline. Its much closer than Xin Di and Cindy are, so I wonder about that Angel baby...