Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your Chinese name?

Enter the...

Dragon!

Some of the chaps and chappesses in my aiki school nicknamed me 'Dragon'. Maybe it's because I had a reputation for being fierce...

Many of them called me Rubber Sensei... and no, no connection to condoms!

When I got a tenugui (hachimaki for kendo, lit. 'towel' - see not all Japanese is romantic! ) from my sensei he also chose a master calligrapher and swordsman's calligraphy for 'Dragon' as he said it suited me!

Other people have called me all kinds of things...!

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    my first teacher called me 'bear' about a year into training. he also said I should have probably taken up karate instead of kung fu since I didn't seem to be getting it.

about 9 or 10 years later my second teacher also called me 'bear' with out ever knowing that my first teacher had done the same thing. I had never, ever told anyone about the first. A couple of years later he added 'thunder' to it.

so, I don't know if it counts as both these guys are white but I couldn't let Seven be the only 'thunder' something
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    OK, just kidding. Liu Mang is the literal translation of 'rogue'
    I have a Chinese name, thanks Gene. It won't get my ass kicked in Chinatown will it?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by rogue
    I have a Chinese name, thanks Gene. It won't get my ass kicked in Chinatown will it?

well i don't know about a 'kicking' but with a name like rogue, you might be in for a little rough trade down there.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

My Sifu has never called me anything chinese. My Sifu has called me "Ross Perot" or "What's your name I forget"or "Mr Chan" (from some skits we did at a New Year's party where I played an evil doer named "Mr. Chan"). Aside from that the only other nickname I think I ever got was "Lone Lion Dancer McQuaid" from one of my classmates, and occasionaly since some us at the school watch 'Hajime No Ippo', one guy will call me "Sempai". The only other-language names I heard were from when I went to Cambodia and they were just generic, like "agiang saw" which just meant white american, or just "saw-saw" white white, and an occasional "barang" which means frenchman, I hated that one.

rogue in Chinatown

No, I'm saving those names for MasterKiller. I still owe him and a Chinatown ass-whupping would only bring the tally to 146...

There's an awful lot of dragon names here, aren't there?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Ah, what the heck. Gimme a nickname, Gene.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

No, I'm saving those names for MasterKiller. I still owe him and a Chinatown ass-whupping would only bring the tally to 146...
    Do you believe you are my match?

Are you aware I kill at will?

Is it your wish to die?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Gwai Loh is deragatory....

Lo Faan is mildly passable

My name is Chan Sai Hung, it means "I'm always right"
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

乃文 - Nai Man (Nai Wen)

Which is a reference to an expression, 乃文乃武, nai man nai mo (nai wen nai wu).

譚乃文
    Last edited by -N-; 12-13-2005 at 03:02 PM.

Ss Mk

SevenStar, I dub you Chut Sing, which is just SevenStar in Cantonese. See? That was painless. Come on the rest of you. You all need new names. Who's gonna be brave and take the name Fang Guo Pi?

MK: Hmpf! You must be tired of living!
    You think your skill
    is very good
    but still
    it lacks true power
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

so say my western name does actually have a meaning. can i get it turned into a chinese name with the same meaning? or do i need to adopt a new motif for my name?
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Good question, PangQuan

You can translate names a variety of ways. Typically, the Chinese like to make up some absurd phonetic. The classic example is Mark, which always becomes Ma Ke.

If your name has an equivalent, it can be translated literally. For an example here, I had a friend named Jade and that was really easy to translate into Chinese. You got to be a little careful with this one because Chinese is so contextual, so a translated name can come out really funny. Of course, this can happen with a phonetic too. The classic example here was when Coca Cola was translated phonetically, it came out to 'bite the wax tadpole'. I can't think of a literal translation example off hand.

Additionally, and most common, it's a nickname or some chosen name. Chosen by who? By me. OK, ok, chosen by some authority, like a master, a monk, a feng shui expert, a clan elder, something like that. Many times in China, you know someone by their surname and nickname alone. It's just like in kung fu movies - people are called Fat Tiger, or Uncle Ho, or Teacher Lee, etc. To use a given name is often thought of as quite intimate.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    Ah, what the heck. Gimme a nickname, Gene.
    How do you say, "He who lacks street cred"?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

You can translate names a variety of ways. Typically, the Chinese like to make up some absurd phonetic. The classic example is Mark, which always becomes Ma Ke.
    That's odd since Mark is already a Chinese name as in Bow Sim Mark. JUst curious as to what the Mark in her name means? Also Mark means warlike, how would you say that in Chinese? Oh, by the way my names Mark.