Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your Chinese name?

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    You can translate names a variety of ways. Typically, the Chinese like to make up some absurd phonetic. The classic example is Mark, which always becomes Ma Ke.

Interesting. I guess I need to at least make a mental apology to someone who did that very thing for me.

They took Matthew Melton and came up w/ something like Ma The Mei Ton which then translated to Golden Lion something or the other.

I was pretty sceptical but was encouraged to get a chop made so I did. I'll have to dig it up and scan it and get one of you guys to translate.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Well it may go either way.

Either just sounds with no meanings or similar sounds with magical meanings.

My classsmate's name is Louise. So I named it Lu Yi meanining like Jade and everything goes your way or whatever you wish for will happen.

Okay, my turn!

A friend who claimed to speak a fair amount of cantonese and some mandarin told me my name would translate to Cha Ga Lai. He said together it meant something like "Strong Style of Luck". Maybe he was a liar. I dunno... anyone?
    Bloodninja: I stomp the ground, and snort, to alert you that you are in my breeding territory.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I've had several over the years, in one school, they called me "Gwai-Sao"-ghost hands-'cause I was quite fast in my youth, my Sifu whenhe bai-si'd me gave me the name Hung Wai-Keurng-Hung from Hung-Ga, Hung Mo-Jue, etc, as he thought it improper for me to take his name and dishonor my Father-for a Chinese guy, he was quite western in thought. Wai-Keurng-they mean, courageous,honorable,(I think) , but he mostly called me affectionately, "Fan Tong"-which is an empty rice pot-useless.
    My mother-in-Law calls me "Ah-Lik-ah" and Ah-Sahm, my "Auntie" calls me "Saw-Jai" my OL calls me Diu-ma I don't think she's saying cat stance, though.

being a lineage holder in the ba bu tang lang system. I was given the name "Shyun Di Long" which I'm sure everyones figured out translates to EARTHDRAGON as you can tell from my screen name.

Although I have been called much worse things . LOL

someone said if water dragon and myself fought, would that mean we would then both be a mud dragon. Still laughing at that one.
    Last edited by EarthDragon; 12-14-2005 at 07:18 AM.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers
    my OL calls me Diu-ma I don't think she's saying cat stance, though.
    uh... congratulations, hehehe

N.

Since Chinese is consonant+vowel phonetically.

There are many words sharing the same sound. Tong Yin Zi or Tong Shen Zi.

There are also many words sounding differently but meaning the same. Tong Yi Zi.

That makes them fun.

For example, beautiful. we can say Mei, Jia, Jung, Qiao on and on.

Lu may mean road, entry, like --- with different intonation and characters.

---

I want a name!

I want a chinese name Gene!!! Name me!!!!

rogue shuaichiao disciple

r: meiyou jiedao xinrenzhuang would be the literal way to translate 'lacks street credentials' but that's not quite right. I don't think the literal translation will make any sense in Mandarin. Besides, it's too big a mouthful.

sc: Bow Sim Mark is a romanization from the Cantonese. Ma Ke is a standard Mandarin romanization - you can't say Mark in Mandarin. Nothing ends in a 'k'. I'm told Master Mark's name in Mandarin would be Mai Bao Chan. Mai (Mark) means wheat, apparently, and it's a very uncommon name.

-d-: Disciple translates literally into Tudi, or in your case -tudi-. I'm a bit preoccupied now closing up things for the year but I'll try and think of something more appropo for you later.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by DragonzRage
    They call me 'Dances with Wolves'.
    LMMFAO

Craig

I suppose my aikido nick-name could be either, "Too strong!" or "RELAX!!!" If you want to call me "Too strong!", you have to adopt a disappointed look and shake your head when you say it. "RELAX!!!" is properly accompanied with a punch to the solar plexus. Only Sensei uses these names for me.
    Last edited by Samurai Jack; 12-15-2005 at 03:15 AM.

I spent some time in Taiwan, teaching English a few years ago and was given a Chinese name by the people who ran the school I worked at.

"Scott Dellinger" doesn't transliterate very well ("Scott" can even come out as profanity, if you transliterate it a certain way), so they gave me "Dai" as a surname and "Hau Tien" or (Hao tian) as my given name.

From what I was told, it means "Big Sky" or "Big as the Sky". They found this extremely amusing, of course, but I was assured it was a perfectly "cromulent" name . I'm not THAT tall (6'1"), but when I was there I was about 246lbs, so I was also quite thick (I'm a lean, mean 180 now, though ).

Cheers!

Scott
    AKA Hau Tien
    Last edited by Hau Tien; 12-15-2005 at 07:00 AM.
    Royce can choke as many people as he wants. He'll never have a cartoon as cool as Jackie Chan Adventures.

-- Chang Style Novice

What's your Chinese name?

Most, if not all of you (non-Chinese that is) who practice kungfu and especially those of you who come from predominantly Chinese lineages have had a Chinese name bestowed upon you.

What's yours? How does it relate to your kungfu and why were you given it?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Toolong Dong.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    So Dam Hung is my name. my nick name is Hung So Lo !
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better