Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: MMA hands

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    ???

Neither of your choices is suitable for MMA because of the rules. Wrestling has a huge impact on the way you stike and striking has a huge impact on the way you wrestle.

The strikers can not use their typical stances because they will get taken down and gnp'ed.

Wrestlers can not use their typical stances or their faces become nothing more than targets for knees and low kicks.

Both styles had to change because of the rules.
    As this is a CMA board, we have seen every conceivable stance and many more that aren't conceivable. Trust me when I say this, a few little mma tweaks do not freak us out. We can get our minds around it. We have also come across every conceivable strike. We recognize needlessly sloppy and off balance at least I do.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 02-17-2010 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    top guys also go where the money is, at the moment in the UK MMA pays more than Thai so the trainers don't mind training the guys for a cut of the purse
    Who are the top MT trainers in the U.K. right now?

top guys also go where the money is, at the moment in the UK MMA pays more than Thai so the trainers don't mind training the guys for a cut of the purse
    Not only that, but many good MMA guys GO to, seek out, top trainers in particular fields.

But, you need to keep in mind, they go to the best trainers that also have a good grasp of MMA -- so they may not seek out the "best" boxing coaches since they may have no grasp of how boxing needs to be modified for MMA.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    Given allowances for adjustments to mma, the striking is not premium.
    Compared to what?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Why don't you name some of the top MT schools in the US? Would you consider Saekson Janjira, Fairtex, Sityodong, The Wat as top schools? Don't they all also train MMA fighters?

not really that up on thai these days but here are some i know

master sken and his guys, always produce world champs. sandy holt former world champ runs some mma classes and trains some fighters

Charles Joseph andTony Myers, who both teach at troygen MMA gym and who have also taught in mikes gym in holland and a few other places and are International referees in thai boxing

Rupert Smillie produces some great thai guys in nottingham and also trains paul daley dan hardy etc for mma

As this is a CMA board, we have seen every conceivable stance and many more that aren't conceivable. Trust me when I say this, a few little mma tweaks do not freak us out. We can get our minds around it. We have also come across every conceivable strike. We recognize needlessly sloppy and off balance at least I do.
    really, i have seen those same MMA strikes freak out TCMA stylists and knock them out, if you could do better why not offer your services to some of the bigger teams in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Compared to what?
    Read every post that I have written. I am tired of repeating myself.

really, i have seen those same MMA strikes freak out TCMA stylists and knock them out, if you could do better why not offer your services to some of the bigger teams in the US?
    Didn't you read him, my old Frosty?

Top coaches are not that interested in teaching people who can't or won't master their art.
    I wouldn't want to cast these professionals as mercenary, but a job's a job right? Driving instructors don't pre-vet their potential students.

Phil, let me set you straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Some people think if it's not MMA then it's no good.
    No, that's not it.

Fighting, unless you have a ruleset that restricts the range/skillset, is going to "look" like MMA since MMA permits you to fight in every range of the fight -- it's going to involve stand-up/free-movement, clinch, and ground. That's what we have to prepare for IF we want to be a well-rounded fighter, if we want to be prepared for whatever comes our way. Sure, we can sometimes get away with a limited skill set, we can win with just boxing or just WCK or just BJJ, but we can't rely on that always being the case.

And, if you want to make your art, whatever it is, functional in fighting (dealing with all ranges) then you NEED to go work with MMA people since then you will be dealing (sparring) with people who are proficient in all ranges, whoo will be trying to take advantage of your weaknesses, and that will allow you to modify what you are doing to take all that into account. You may, for example, be a superb boxer, but when you go train at a MMA gym you will see how many of your habits open you to things outside of boxing (takedowns, kicks, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    The casting punch is a standard part of Sambo. I also think that one of the reasons you don't see a whole lot of combinations is a combination of fear of takedowns and the small gloves.

MMA striking is more like bare knuckle boxing. It tends to be long range and more power shots than jabs. If either fighter gets inside it immediatly switches to clinch fighting, either mauy thai with lots of knees or wrestling with takedowns. In bare knuckle boxing throws were allowed so little or no clinch fighting (punches) developed there either.

Jabs can be dangerous because a good wrestler will follow the jab back with a single leg takedown shot, so if you hit you must do some damage to discourage the shot. Jabs came about in boxing after the throws and grappling were removed from the rules.

Edit: Another thing that makes combinations difficult is that wrestlers will shot immediatley after a punch and if you get caught in the takedown attempt while throwing your straight right following the jab you are scr3wed.
    I don't know much about MMA or boxing, but there is something I wanted to ask regarding distance fighting and the transition to the clinch or takedown:

Most of the Wing Chun schools tend to emphasize the "short brigde" aspect of the fight, correct? Well, I've heard many people saying that the said "short bridge" isn't such a useful tactic because, when you close the distance, you'll probably end up in a clinch or getting taken down, or at least finding yourself defending against a takedown attempt. So, how do you think the "short bridge", as usually practiced in Wing Chun, relates to the dangers presented by grappling?

Read every post that I have written. I am tired of repeating myself.
    That's just it, isn't it?
    You are comparing it to something that it is not.
    The grappling in MMA is "atrocious" compared to Submission grappling in the Abu Dhabi for example, but you can't compare it because MMA grappling is NOT submission grappling.

BTW, your humility is outstanding.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Sardinkahnikov View Post
    I don't know much about MMA or boxing, but there is something I wanted to ask regarding distance fighting and the transition to the clinch or takedown:

Most of the Wing Chun schools tend to emphasize the "short brigde" aspect of the fight, correct? Well, I've heard many people saying that the said "short bridge" isn't such a useful tactic because, when you close the distance, you'll probably end up in a clinch or getting taken down, or at least finding yourself defending against a takedown attempt. So, how do you think the "short bridge", as usually practiced in Wing Chun, relates to the dangers presented by grappling?
    WCK is a method of dirty clinch boxing, where our objective is to control the opponent while striking him (a combo of grappling and striking). So, we close the distance TO clinch. And if you control the clinch, you have less likelihood of being taken down.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    The grappling in MMA is "atrocious" compared to Submission grappling in the Abu Dhabi for example, but you can't compare it because MMA grappling is NOT submission grappling.
    Heard this many times and seems to be true when watching some of the abu dhabi events. Lots of top fighters in mma have tried it and lost. only one i can think of off the top of my head that actually did well was Jeff Monson, but i think that's where he started his career was in the abu dhabi if i'm not mistaken.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardinkahnikov View Post

i think that in most cases if you are not including the full clinch in your bridge training and allowing takedowns your bridge skills will fall apart when these areas are allowed they are simply to easy to get to and such a natural movement for most people.
    people do not hang about in the bridge zone if they are allowed to clinch and takedown, if you are trained to deal with them then your bridge skills will be useful, if not you will be in trouble