Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: MMA hands

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    WCK is a method of dirty clinch boxing, where our objective is to control the opponent while striking him (a combo of grappling and striking). So, we close the distance TO clinch. And if you control the clinch, you have less likelihood of being taken down.
    Agreed, unless your opponent is a Judo or Greco player, then all bets are off.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    Heard this many times and seems to be true when watching some of the abu dhabi events. Lots of top fighters in mma have tried it and lost. only one i can think of off the top of my head that actually did well was Jeff Monson, but i think that's where he started his career was in the abu dhabi if i'm not mistaken.
    they are two seperate skills, i know a guy that at best is a bjj purple beat 4 bjj blackbelts in a row in MMA last year, now he is a judo champ but no where near these guys in terms of pure grappling, getting hit changes the game alot

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    getting hit changes the game alot
    agree 100%, adding any of the levels of fighting to others changes the way you fight.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    Agreed, unless your opponent is a Judo or Greco player, then all bets are off.
    That's why cross-training is your friend.

the mma gym i was at was heavily boxing oriented and they didnt tell us to change our punching style or that punching in these wide arching motion was the way you had to do it

of course you had to modify the boxing but this jsut meant adding thing to it like take down defense clinching etc etc

i recall it may have been nick or nate diaz talk about boxing in mma and he said that so many mma people are too busy running around just flat out saying something doesnt work instead of stfu and learning the technique and actually trying it out

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    That's why cross-training is your friend.
    And to quote my own post, I just don't understand why people see MMA or cross-training as "the enemy". It can only help you.

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    the mma gym i was at was heavily boxing oriented and they didnt tell us to change our punching style or that punching in these wide arching motion was the way you had to do it

of course you had to modify the boxing but this jsut meant adding thing to it like take down defense clinching etc etc

i recall it may have been nick or nate diaz talk about boxing in mma and he said that so many mma people are too busy running around just flat out saying something doesnt work instead of stfu and learning the technique and actually trying it out
    and thats your experience, the gyms i have trained at and that others have trained at have had a different experience

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    agree 100%, adding any of the levels of fighting to others changes the way you fight.
    true, thats why its pointless saying mma fighters have bad hands, or that the takedowns in MMA would never happen in wrestling...they are all different sports and need to be treated differently

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    and thats your experience, the gyms i have trained at and that others have trained at have had a different experience
    but thats the point if it can be trained and applied in the traditional boxing way than people are just making excuses for having sloppy stand up

You're not suggesting that Fedor is lazy or sloppy are you? because he doesn't have "classical boxing punches" ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

but thats the point if it can be trained and applied in the traditional boxing way than people are just making excuses for having sloppy stand up
    as i have said this is your point of view and your conclusion, mine is different as is alot of peoples, you seem to think most pros stand up is sloppy, i know from feeling their standup its not, you believe striking does not have to change in MMA, my views and that of the coaches i know is different

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    You're not suggesting that Fedor is lazy or sloppy are you? because he doesn't have "classical boxing punches" ?
    come on he quoted the diaz brothers for gods sake like they are some source on MMA striking

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    yes but the man has one hell of a punch and thats saved him .. so far

hey dont get me wrong im a huge fedor fan but the guy isnt a great striker

yes but the man has one hell of a punch and thats saved him .. so far

hey dont wrong im a huge fedor fan but the guy isnt a great striker
    not a great striker, he beat rogers, cro cop and alovski on his feet, never been knocked down.... you really need to think these statements through more

That's exactly It. Nothing but excuses for sloppy fighting.