Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you spread the artform?

How do you spread the artform?

Besides actively teaching in a club or kwoon, what is it that you do to perpetuate the arts as you have learned them?

I personally keep a kwoon and invite other martial artists to come, exchange and train with our small group. It's fairly straightforward and open. This is the vehicle by which I share and explore martial arts with friends and soon to be friends.

Also, I spend time on these forums and when not distracted by or playing with the trolls, I try to give as clear answers as I can in regards to my own understanding of the arts.

What do you do?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Oh, and practice something every day. This is the principle key for me.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

challenge people's views, upset them, rattle their cages, turn convention upside down, harass them, demand they prove their theories, point out the ilogic in their contentions, demand evidence, take their gods off their pedastals, kill the Buddha, the walrus is dead, you know, that sort of stuff
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Heart to heart, mind to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    challenge people's views, upset them, rattle their cages, turn convention upside down, harass them, demand they prove their theories, point out the ilogic in their contentions, demand evidence, take their gods off their pedastals, kill the Buddha, the walrus is dead, you know, that sort of stuff

koo koo ka Choo!
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

I gently sprinkle deadly gung fu goodness airwhere I goes
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Spar with other styles. Even if you lose.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Besides actively teaching in a club or kwoon, what is it that you do to perpetuate the arts as you have learned them?

I personally keep a kwoon and invite other martial artists to come, exchange and train with our small group. It's fairly straightforward and open. This is the vehicle by which I share and explore martial arts with friends and soon to be friends.

Also, I spend time on these forums and when not distracted by or playing with the trolls, I try to give as clear answers as I can in regards to my own understanding of the arts.

What do you do?
    yi zi jue or one word secret.

So I was practicing several styles of CMA at Taipei Youth Park in the late 1970s.

several kids approached me and seemed much interested in whatever I was doing

I was doing several things. How do I instill something in their minds? they may remember for life

one word secret.

1. Ba Ji is about ding. (pushing) I ding where ever your arms are out of the way--

2. Ba Gua is about chuan. (piercing) I chuan your forearm.---

3. Tai Chi is about chan. (entanglement or silk reeling) I chan your forearm, your body--

4. Mantis is about gou (hooking). I hook your forearm, I hook your leg---

--

They have absolutely no ideas what I was talking. But they take home a word for each style. They would know what I mean in years to come, if they have a chance to study and practice any of the style I mentioned--

--

Let the audience take home or learn one idea at a time.

---

i think its abt qualty not quantity
    ppl ned 2 raise standards. if ur good u ned 2 mak sur ur students r good also

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

I like to think that people I train with can see my love and passion for the martial arts and maybe be infected by it. I encourage all those around me to train in martial arts and to better themselves. This includes seasoned martial artists: why not expand and learn BJJ or Thai boxing or whatever...seeking constant improvement and refinement.

I guess I don't spread an artform, more just encourage others to participate and grow.
    A unique snowflake

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    I spread it like any other STD.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Well, as my father learned it before me, he taught me, I have taught my son, and he his son. That is 4 generations of Hung Fa. Always taught the same as it was learned, and only to family, and if not just family, never outside the Chinese race. Never taught to those that would mongralize it and corrupt it beyond all recognition. I have only taught it to a small hand full of Chinese American people, and they promised the same. That is what I have done for my art.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Well, as my father learned it before me, he taught me, I have taught my son, and he his son. That is 4 generations of Hung Fa. Always taught the same as it was learned, and only to family, and if not just family, never outside the Chinese race. Never taught to those that would mongralize it and corrupt it beyond all recognition. I have only taught it to a small hand full of Chinese American people, and they promised the same. That is what I have done for my art.
    Race is a theoretically bankrupt concept...perhaps you should read modern genetic theory outside of Victorian England.
    A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    Race is a theoretically bankrupt concept...perhaps you should read modern genetic theory outside of Victorian England.
    lol.

Kung Fu is good for you.

I guess I fed the troll...
    A unique snowflake