Thread: Circle Walking-itis??

Unhappy Circle Walking-itis??

I know this may be a weird or stupid question, but has anyone had their shins hurt after going through a circle walking session? Lately theyve been hurting constantly, and actually feeling more bumpy.
    Although the changes are infinite, the principles are the same.
    - Wang Tsung Yueh

To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.
    - Sun Tzu

Boards don't hit back.
    - Bruce Lee

What sort of warmup did you do prior to circle-walking? What type of circle-walking method were you using? What surface? What footgear? How long is your typical session? What sort of after-workout/cool-down did you do?
    "The first stage is to get the Gang( hard, solid power). every movement should be done with full power and in hard way, also need to get the twisting and wrapping power, whole body's tendon and bones need to be stretched to get the Gang( hard) power. "
    -Bi Tianzou -

Quote Originally Posted by dimethylsea View Post
    What sort of warmup did you do prior to circle-walking? What type of circle-walking method were you using? What surface? What footgear? How long is your typical session? What sort of after-workout/cool-down did you do?
    I usually do a quick stretch, some baduanjin, and this one warmup my teacher showed me where you swing your arms while you walk foward like your doing a charlie brown football kick. Oh and some standing post (but tai chi, havent learned the bagua version yet.)

Since I'm practicing Liang style now only the mud wading step. If you meant movementwise then the first three postures of the Dingshibazhang.

A few different surfaces, carpet, linoleum, concrete, grass. Pretty much mostly in and around my apartments. Sometimes my sneakers, sometimes my slippers, sometimes barefoot. Anywhere from half an hour to an hour and a half , depending on how lazy I feel.

Usually after my circle walking I just go do some other form I know or are learning, or do some Da sanxing training on the side of my doorframe.
    Last edited by Tao Of The Fist; 02-21-2010 at 07:32 AM.
    Although the changes are infinite, the principles are the same.
    - Wang Tsung Yueh

To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.
    - Sun Tzu

Boards don't hit back.
    - Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Tao Of The Fist View Post
    I usually do a quick stretch, some baduanjin, and this one warmup my teacher showed me where you swing your arms while you walk foward like your doing a charlie brown football kick. Oh and some standing post (but tai chi, havent learned the bagua version yet.)

Since I'm practicing Liang style now only the mud wading step. If you meant movementwise then the first three postures of the Dingshibazhang.

A few different surfaces, carpet, linoleum, concrete, grass. Pretty much mostly in and around my apartments. Sometimes my sneakers, sometimes my slippers, sometimes barefoot. Anywhere from half an hour to an hour and a half , depending on how lazy I feel.

Usually after my circle walking I just go do some other form I know or are learning, or do some Da sanxing training on the side of my doorframe.
    Ok.. that makes more sense now. For every 5 minutes of "mud-stepping" you plan to do, you should try to do 1 minute of "natural step" (rolling heel-toe gait) circle-walking and 1 minute of "crane stepping" (stop on one foot, raise the opposite foot to knee level, like a Thai boxer checking a kick with his shin) before beginning your mud-stepping.

Also you should look into good stretches for the knees and ankles (knee and ankle circles are good) and some longfist style leg stretches (like relaxed high kicks, a la tan tui) to really loosen and relax your hip flexors and hamstrings.

Try those things and see if they help!
    "The first stage is to get the Gang( hard, solid power). every movement should be done with full power and in hard way, also need to get the twisting and wrapping power, whole body's tendon and bones need to be stretched to get the Gang( hard) power. "
    -Bi Tianzou -

Quote Originally Posted by dimethylsea View Post
    What dimethylsea said -- and another thought. Sore shins (as opposed to sore knee joints) could also mean a foot support problem -- which is what I have. If you are circle walking with the classic kung fu shoes that offer little to no foot support, you may want to look at a light weight sports shoe that is engineered to your foot type -- foot locker and a host of other shoe suppliers can fit you with something that will help and it doesn't have to cost you a boatload of cash.

Bill

Your feet and ankles are weak. Look for exercises for these parts.
    Oh, and relax.

p.s. anyway, that's my guess.