Thread: Good kung fu schools or private teachers in Omaha Nebraska, or close to Omaha?

Good kung fu schools or private teachers in Omaha Nebraska, or close to Omaha?

Alright I’m finally ready to practice kung fu. I’ve been practicing for so many years while watching movies, I want some real instruction!

Also, I have a question on kicking. I used to stretch when I first decided I wanted to be good at kicking, but then I read that my kicking idol Hwang Jang Lee (the villain in the original Drunken Master Jackie Chan movie from 1978) doesn’t do stretching because he says you will lose the snap in your kicks. Or something to that effect… So for the last couple years I’ve been just doing kicking excersises every day and never stretching. My legs feel stronger every day.

Also, is there a kung fu style that equally (or at least close to equally) focuses on arms/fists, and kicking? Or would it be good maybe to learn a kf style and then maybe learn taekwondo or karate? I want to learn both kicking and kung fu fist forms. And sorry if it looks like I don’t know what I’m talking about. I don’t know a whole lot about martial arts. The only MA I’ve ever studied was kickboxing when I was about 16. It lasted a couple of months. I only went there to fight people. Unfortunately I never concentrated on technique. Wish I would have though. But I am a different person now. I realized fighting people and trying to act tough was stupid. I don’t know what I was thinking. I was stupid, loud and obnoxious. I’m more secluded now and I try to be a good person and show everybody respect.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Dragon Arts Kung Fu and MMA
    (402) 339-9345

Cornell Garrett is a wonderful teacher and his school is top notch.

Thanks. I will give him a call and see if knows the answer to the other questions I have. I can’t wait to start training. Do you currently go to this school Cory?
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

Mr. Garrett has been my teacher for almost ten years now. Although I am not currently in Omaha due to finishing my masters degree, I still keep in regular contact with him and train with him every time I go home for a break. When my time away from Omaha is done I will be back at his school again.

I also read about HJL's belief that stretching is bad, saying it will weaken the muscles and tendons, but I disagree that it's the same for everybody. Some people are gifted with unusual natural flexibility (which isn't necessarily double-jointed). Such people can often do full-bore high kicks with zero warmup. Some have termed them "rubberlegs." I've known a couple of guys like that. It may work for some people, but as your body ages it starts to lose natural flexibility. But if you've been feeling fine, then listen to your own body. Keep in mind, if you join a class, you'll be expected to follow whatever warmups/stretches they might do.

As for kung fu, different systems require various flex levels. And not only the legs or hips, but also of the waist, shoulders, etc. In KF, the whole body is meant to work as a unit. You DON'T need to do the splits, but general flex along with the strength development.

Thanks Cory. I’ll pm you or post on this thread to let you know when I call Mr. Garrett. I’m planning on calling tomorrow, but it'll be around the 12th when I'll be able to join, because I’ll have a bit more money then. I’m hoping it doesn’t cost too much to go to this school. But even if it’s pricey I’ll try it just to see what it’s like. Also, I was wondering, what kind of kung fu style, or other MA style do you study? And what kind of style(s) is this school best known for? SOrry if I'm being annoying with these questions, I just want to make sure I'm going to the best school possible and get as much info I can before I join. Thanks.

Jimbo thanks for your input. I’m not naturally flexible, in fact many years ago I was one of the stiffest people you would ever meet. My flexibility has improved big time as I have been practicing kicking (with no training) for the past 5 years or so (meaning I constantly watch people like Billy Chow, Bruce Leung, Dorian Tan and Hwang Jang Lee, and try my best to imitate what they do). My kicking has improved the most over the past 2 years since I've stopped stretching, but maybe that's because the 3 years prior, the stretching had prepared my legs for kicking higher and higher. So I'm going to stay open minded on this and try and listen to what my body says. I don’t have any set training, but I try to kick all day every day, with both legs equally. I've found that each leg has different types of kicks that they are good at, and I'm always trying different types of kicks to try and get better. Spinning high kicks are what I'm working on most right now. I'm horrible in that area. I’d say I do at least 50 kicks a day with each leg now, so at least 100 total, . One thing I've noticed over the years, is that sometimes my thighs, or other parts of the legs will hurt, and I may not be able to kick for a whole day. But then the next day it feels a little better, so I kick some, and then the next day, when I feel 100%, I usually notice that my kicking has improved. It’s just easier all of a sudden. Right now I’m actually “starting” to be able to keep my right or left leg in the air and do consecutive kicks. Usually about 5 or 6 is my max right now. It keeps getting better every day.

I was just about to give up on kicking not too long ago, because in my mind I need to be spectacular. And I’m just not reaching that level. I’ve been working on my jumping ability for even longer than I’ve been working on kicking, and it has never really improved. I want to be able to do amazing jumping kicks, but it’s just not going to happen. SO I was very depressed for a little while, knowing I would have to give up kicking. Luckily one night, I rewatched Fighting Ace, and watching Kwan Young Moon in those opening credits, I knew that I had to keep at it. His jumping is not very good, in fact I think I can jump higher than him, but he is one of the best kickers I’ve ever seen. So I’ve been kicking more than ever since I found this new inspiration.

When I start training, I’m going to keep all my ideas on kicking to myself. I imagine I would just look like an idiot. I know that I wil have to do whatever the teacher says. I don’t care if I have to learn horse stance for 5 years. I want some HARD training, because I want to see results. Hopefully Jimbo, one day, after a lot of hard traning, we will be able to talk about actual kung fu, and not just movies

Also, one last thing. I've been praciting boxing for about as long as kicking. Once again, no training. I imitating people lke Chang Shan, Fedor's brother Aleks, Vitor Belfort, Gregard Mousasi, and many others. I think I'm finally starting to get decent. My question is, if I study a kf style for a few years, and get good at it, will it hinder me if I want to move onto boxing and other types of MMA?

Jethro, if you study a KF system that emphasizes application of it as opposed to just an artistically-oriented method (such as modern wushu or others), and you decide to eventually move on to MMA, there shouldn't be much problem, other than you'll have to adapt whatever it is to work in that setting. For example, I would think a lot of the basic CLF would work in a MMA setting. Boxing is the most natural pure punching system overall, but even then, there are also some people who can shadowbox, hit the pads and do bagwork really well, but against an opponent it can go out the window. So whatever art, live training and good teaching (or coaching), and the willingness to follow instructions are essential.

Keep in mind, any time you make an adjustment to something different or to a different environment, there is a transition period that can be uncomfortable. Things carry over, but whenever I've gone into a new art or system, I took it up with beginner's mind and follow whatever is being taught to me, regardless of whatever else I may have learned previously.

Yeah Jimbo I know what you mean about being good at shadowboxing (I don't have bags to punch), and then going against an opponent and not being able show those skills. I've sparred a few times with a friend who fights in local shows, and he kills me every time. He mainly does Muay Thai. Last time we fought I didn't even throw a punch. I had planed on trying to counter his punches, but I ended up being too scared I think. I got some good kicks in though. I also tried grappling with him once. I won't be doing that again. I had thought I was good at that too. I figured I could pull off an armbar, kimura, triangle or something. Man that was embarassing.

Cory I tried to call a couple times today and got the answering machine. Hopefully that's a sign of a good school. Too busy training to answer some **** phone I'll call again on my next days off on Saturday and Sunday and leave a message if I have to to find out what kind of styles the school is known for.
    Last edited by jethro; 02-24-2010 at 04:59 PM.

Mr. Garrett teaches Xing Yi, Taiji, and Ba Gua some Shoalin in there as well. In the past couple years he also started training guys guys for MMA. His fighters do well and he recently started to compete as also. Leave a message if he does not answer, if they are in the back he might not hear the phone and sometimes he goes home for lunch. PM me for more information if you want.

Thanks. I'll just go down there now, check it out, and probably sign up. I just wanted to make sure he was a kung fu teacher first and not some other style. I don't want to go in there and be talked into MMA. I want the kung!