Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: inspiration from nature

inspiration from nature

nature is the ultimate influence on martial arts - countless styles/methods based on numerous movements and concepts derived from observing the interplay of yin/yang play out in nature... i was recently inspired by watching the movement of smoke as it rises, how it reacts to the most subtle of changes in the air and then as if on que, this snowstorm comes along and i go thru the usual routine of observing nature from a more technological perspective:

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/GSSLOOPS/ecwv.html

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/GSSLOOPS/wcwv.html

i was compelled to share this understanding that though the means of observing nature have evolved, the principles of incorporating it all remains the same... nature truly is the best teacher.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    nature is the ultimate influence on martial arts
    nature is the ultimate influence on life. We, as people, try to seclude ourselves from nature. But nature is nature and will not be denied.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Nature will drug you and rape you and leave you for dead on a dirt road in Mexico.
    Never trust Nature!! You won't even get a t-shirt for it!

ever!

Kung Fu is good for you.

we part of nature

so we need to understand nature

---

There are all kinds of animal styles, how about a human style?

"We just need to get nature to cooperate with us..."

I for one will be glad when we refigure nature out again. I'm sick of working just to pay for gas, car insurance, electricity, etc. One would think we would have figured out a way around this by now. But, that takes away from control, so we don't want that. Horse feed costed and costs too...

I was thinking the following:

"Heaven and Earth are ruthless, and treat the ten thousand things like straw dogs."

That's catchy; I like it; I'm gonna copyright and market that.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    I was thinking the following:

"Heaven and Earth are ruthless, and treat the ten thousand things like straw dogs."

That's catchy; I like it; I'm gonna copyright and market that.
    uh, I think I already said that.

semantics man, semantics... lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    uh, I think I already said that.

semantics man, semantics... lol
    you did?

frickin' Canooks...

Just curious...

Do any of you grow your own food? Tend animals? Fish?

Quote Originally Posted by TAO YIN View Post
    Just curious...

Do any of you grow your own food? Tend animals? Fish?
    have done yes. Have worked on a dairy farm, in an abattoir, market garden, and have done commercial feed grain and oilseed farming.

I have not tended fish. lol

anyway, why do you ask?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

What kind of smoke, uki?

i was recently inspired by watching the movement of smoke as it rises, how it reacts to the most subtle of changes in the air
    When I was in grad school, fractal mathematics were all the rage and trying to make computations to simulate smoke patterns were part of that. Some proposed that there was a fractal quality to smoke patterns. That was nearly two decades ago and I've totally lost touch with fractal mathematics and if there was ever any more conclusive theories about the connection.

Daoism engages a lot of principles of harmony with nature. I think you can take that notion much ****her than martial arts and apply it to all arts.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i burn on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Nature will drug you and rape you and leave you for dead on a dirt road in Mexico.
    Never trust Nature!! You won't even get a t-shirt for it!

ever!

Are you sure that was "nature" and not "Nacho" and his buddies? I mean it IS Mexico you're talking about here.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

David,

I was just curious and wanted to see what people thought about that kind of stuff. I grew up farming, so all of that stuff is close to me at heart. I have had some pretty good conversations with cows, pigs, goats, dogs, cats, fish, and well lots of species over the years. And I have talked to quite a few plants over the years. I don't know what is funnier, asparagus or pigs. Asparagus acts like a baby when its a baby, then when it grows up, it just wants to go everwhere. Anyways, I have always tried to do my part in keeping the earth kind of the same way I found it while growing up.

Out of the jobs that you mentioned, which one did you like most and why?