Thread: Why do people take martial arts

Hybrid View

Hi ManilaCrane,

Im happy to provide you input for your essay, as long as you let us know how it went after you get it back! =)

I began martial arts as a kid because it was supposed to be "hard knox". I grew up in a nice area, never had problems with bullies or any of what many people attribute to their starting. But yet, martial arts seemed like something to keep me safe--to be honest, its difficult to recall that many years back.

Over time, after taking breaks here and there, I always went back because I enjoyed what I got out of it, despite the fact that hard training can often be uncomfortable. While some people were interested in the path, I was often interested in the destination. I enjoyed the learning and the philosophy and the medicine and such, but what really enamored me was the skill that came with the effort.

Things have changed a lot over the years, primarily because one of my teachers from the recent past did a real job of making class just simply miserable. He rarely taught new material, did not engage well during class and would often spar with us at a level far beyond our capability, making it difficult to get anything out of the encounter save for a bloody nose. It was after years of this sort of thing that I decided, hey, if Im not having fun then what is the **** point? After sleep and work take their share of hours, we only have so many hours in the day to do what we enjoy. If youre not enjoying in some way what youre doing then theres really very little point in continuing with it.

So today, I train what I train because I yearn, every second of the day, to get out there and do what I love. Loving what you are doing is what fuels your motivation to spend the time and improve, and tapping into that (IMO) is one of the keys to optimal improvement. Enjoyment feeds the skills and the skills feed the enjoyment. If you dont love what youre training and your mind is not in it, then youre wasting your time...

As to how it effects my daily life: Like most activities, really pushing yourself is about self-discovery and self-improvement. I work to live by the same guidelines of the systems I study because they are meant to produce growth physically, mentally, and emotionally. And like I said above, if a person doesnt feel that these things fuel their growth day in and day out, then its probably time to switch to something else! =)
    Last edited by PlumDragon; 02-24-2010 at 07:30 AM.

One must be able to regulate all aspects of the self to understand the self truly.
    If you don't learn about yoru physicality or your fight/flight response and how to regulate it to your benefit, then you are not developed as an entire human being.

Too much intellect and no physical = no good in my view

Too much physical and no intellect = no good either

The entirety of the being (yourself) is brought together in an understanding of the whole through various practices both arcane and widespread.

Martial arts is part of these methods.

For me, I do martial arts to be a whole person. One who is non-violent, but can be if need be. One who can build or destroy both physically or mentally.

It is satisfying to know myself through martial arts practice. It is satisfying to recognize skill and achievement and it is satisfying to know and understand where failure is because that is the deepest understanding.

If you really want to learn about yourself as a true human being, then martial arts is a great path when it is pursued fully from seed to blossom.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Self-defense.
    A unique snowflake