Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do people take martial arts

I take martial arts because its great for the health both physically and mentally, not a lot of sports have both of these.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Yes, very few do learn to regulate themselves in a fashion that replicates itself as a living ideal.

But some do.

You are cynical. lol. You are ready to accept and resign yourself to failure because everyone else is failing. To put it bluntly.

Failure is a great teacher. Once a person recognizes that, they are already a step up from average self awareness.

Work towards the ideal. that is the path. Abandon that and you will indeed fall by teh wayside and have nothing to gain but a little visceral fun.
    lol! Alright, Don Quixote, I'll be your Sancho

To dream ... the impossible dream ...
    To fight ... the unbeatable foe ...
    To bear ... with unbearable sorrow ...
    To run ... where the brave dare not go ...
    To right ... the unrightable wrong ...
    To love ... pure and chaste from afar ...
    To try ... when your arms are too weary ...
    To reach ... the unreachable star ...

This is my quest, to follow that star ...
    No matter how hopeless, no matter how far ...
    To fight for the right, without question or pause ...
    To be willing to march into Hell, for a Heavenly cause ...

And I know if I'll only be true, to this glorious quest,
    That my heart will lie will lie peaceful and calm,
    when I'm laid to my rest ...
    And the world will be better for this:
    That one man, scorned and covered with scars,
    Still strove, with his last ounce of courage,

Quote Originally Posted by FightSoc View Post
    I take martial arts because its great for the health both physically and mentally, not a lot of sports have both of these.
    juggling has both aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyrat View Post
    lol! Alright, Don Quixote, I'll be your Sancho

To dream ... the impossible dream ...
    To fight ... the unbeatable foe ...
    To bear ... with unbearable sorrow ...
    To run ... where the brave dare not go ...
    To right ... the unrightable wrong ...
    To love ... pure and chaste from afar ...
    To try ... when your arms are too weary ...

This is my quest, to follow that star ...
    No matter how hopeless, no matter how far ...
    To fight for the right, without question or pause ...
    To be willing to march into Hell, for a Heavenly cause ...

And I know if I'll only be true, to this glorious quest,
    That my heart will lie will lie peaceful and calm,
    when I'm laid to my rest ...
    And the world will be better for this:
    That one man, scorned and covered with scars,
    Still strove, with his last ounce of courage,
    that is simply tremendous.

now get out there and be a brother to all men!

woot!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

i do martial arts because i feel empty inside

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i do martial arts because i feel empty inside
    I know a bathhouse that can remedy that for you. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

For the water-skiing and for the travel, sir. And not for the killing, sir. I asked them to put it on my form, sir - no killing.

I thought you sold that place? Or did you work it out w/the Health Dept.?

no thank u
    i dont do wing chun

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    no thank u
    i dont do wing chun
    and the gold medal goes to....
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ManilaCrane View Post
    Hi guys. Im doing a casual analysis essay for my english class and the topic has to do with martial arts. I need some opinions and answers on some of you readers on why do you take martial arts and how it impacts your everyday life. It would really help me to complete my essay. Thanks!
    Well For me, I was one of those who got into MA when I was 10yrs old after watching a crapload of Chop Socky flicks and Ninja movies, I then made my parents sign me up for the good 'ol rec center Karate classes. Then in HS I discovered "Kung Fu" (I put this in quotes because it was SD) and all the fun and pointy weapons you get to play with. This led the 17 yr old me to beleiving I was some sort of mystical Kung Fu master......then reality sank in and I realized I wasn't as bad A$$ as I thought I was, and just a LARPer.

In my late teens - mid 20s I then shifted to learning soley how to fight studying Western Boxing and Muay Thai

Then after my days as a LARPer and then as a Fighter I realized I loved all aspects of the MA (But the getting my head beat in was starting to get old), and just wanted to train in everything and anything I could get my hands on. (But unfortunately Life would tend to derail my training on and off)

And Now that I'm in my late 30s and haven't been able to train for a few years I realize that the MA is in my blood and is a part of me, but that over the years I still barely scratched the surface of what's out there and my goal is to get back and learn as much as I can while I'm still able.

Thanks guys for ur replies and opinions. I have more than enough to write my essay now with good strong points . Good luck on the path of a martial artist, people!

why do you deliberatly troll?

most? I'm willing to bet you don't know anyone here except perhaps one or two others? So how can you make any statement at all in regards to what is or is not know without touching hands?

Also, why would you want to learn how to force your will upon others? That is contrary to everything about Mo Duk and it is also by definition weakness.

The desire to control others denotes weakness.
    The desire to control oneself denotes strength.

Maybe that's a book you can read?

Your kungfu motivation to learn in my eyes, is poor and will fall to a genuine practitioner.
    Your right, I don't know anyone here. I was just going by the fact that any time someone mentions some new and exotic MA system or style, certain individuals seem to know all about it. You would have to be hundreds of years old to know all that, except by reading about it. I guess by saying most, I cover it. By the number of people that come here, the rest might be genuine gung fu experienced.
    And what about this silly thing about the desire to control others denotes weakness? If you want to just control yourself, why would you train stuff that can control others? You would just sit and think about controling your own will, not training to fight. So indeed you would be training in order to control others. This Mo Duk is confusing you. I have found that I can lie to anyone but myself. So I am truthful to myself, and in doing so am truthful with others. I do not make up some silly philosophical excuse for training gung fu. I did it so that I could hold control over others. That is absolute honesty, for what it is worth. So how is that being a troll?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    So how is that being a troll?
    a troll is someone on the internet that the majority of people disagree with.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    a troll is someone on the internet that the majority of people disagree with.
    So sayeth Uki!!! Mighty King of the Trolls!! Long live the King!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Your right, I don't know anyone here. I was just going by the fact that any time someone mentions some new and exotic MA system or style, certain individuals seem to know all about it. You would have to be hundreds of years old to know all that, except by reading about it. I guess by saying most, I cover it. By the number of people that come here, the rest might be genuine gung fu experienced.
    And what about this silly thing about the desire to control others denotes weakness? If you want to just control yourself, why would you train stuff that can control others? You would just sit and think about controling your own will, not training to fight. So indeed you would be training in order to control others. This Mo Duk is confusing you. I have found that I can lie to anyone but myself. So I am truthful to myself, and in doing so am truthful with others. I do not make up some silly philosophical excuse for training gung fu. I did it so that I could hold control over others. That is absolute honesty, for what it is worth. So how is that being a troll?
    This is actually one of the more honest answers as to why people take martial arts. Most people whether they admit it or not want to be able to dominate others (control) in some way or another, and establish their superior status, at least in their own minds.

If people want to work towards making their ideals a reality than what's required is strict self-honesty. Without acknowledging the truth, you can't grow.

Just trying to be a "brother to all men".