Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Now THAT'S a horse stance

This is a photo of thomas kurz from his book stretching scientifically. I believe he is doing an isometric stretching exercise

Quote Originally Posted by PaiLumDreamer View Post
    This is a photo of thomas kurz from his book stretching scientifically. I believe he is doing an isometric stretching exercise
    perhaps so, but that is not what the picture is claimed to be showing through that site.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

maybe he is simply doing it for the stretch and the exercise of the posture.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    maybe he is simply doing it for the stretch and the exercise of the posture.
    maybe, but it's presented as a "horse stance".

which is not what it is at all.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

As the man said, that's Thomas Kurz, who writes an excellent site (stadion.com I think it is) with over 60 free pages of very well researched sports science mostly on stretching and exercise order. He was an Olympic TKD coach for the East Germans back in the day when they grew superhumans in test tubes. He's also a bit mad, I reckon.

That stance is based loosely on a TKD horse, and he calls it a horse as a point of reference to MAists: of course he's not espousing using it for combat - he's even given it his own name: the five point horse. It's designed to work your flexibility to get you to do the side splits. Read the relevant articles on his site before you start talking bollocks about it: he's one of the best sports training writers out there, very logical (although needless to say I don't agree with everything he says).
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    maybe, but it's presented as a "horse stance".

which is not what it is at all.
    If he wants to call it a horse stance because it has a passing resemblance to a horse stance and he uses it as a common point of reference whilst coining his own term... so what? Pedant.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    If he wants to call it a horse stance because it has a passing resemblance to a horse stance and he uses it as a common point of reference whilst coining his own term... so what? Pedant.
    well that's some screwy outlook you have there.
    We can call it whatever we like now and it's ok?

It's not a horse stance in martial arts. Period. NO pedantry about it. It has been labeled incorrectly.

If you open a can of strawberry jam and it contains marmalade, who cares because it's all fruit preserves isn't it?

nay nay. Not pedantic, merely indicating the photo is labeled and described incorrectly and as horse stances go, that one is wholly incorrect, but as a method of stretching, it applies. Nothing formal about it. A horse is a horse unless it's not a horse.

No obsessiveness with formality at all. Just call something what it is and not something else because that is confusing.

And if that is what you think pedantry is, then, well, I don't know what to say to you. You don't understand the word?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Since we can now make up arbitrary names for whatever we choose, I hereby christen it:

"The Gee Dinosaur Stance"!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Since we can now make up arbitrary names for whatever we choose, I hereby christen it:

"The Gee Dinosaur Stance"!
    I want to call it "primordial frog leap stance- preparation"

also, "how to make your shorty shorts make it appears you have huge labia stance"

I think all three are good seeing as we can call anything whatever we like now.

Thanks mr. Punch, you've made it easy now!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I want to call it "primordial frog leap stance- preparation"

also, "how to make your shorty shorts make it appears you have huge labia stance"

I think all three are good seeing as we can call anything whatever we like now.

Thanks mr. Punch, you've made it easy now!
    For the sake of consistency I am happy to defer to your nomenclature as long as Gee is appended in some manner for example:

"The Gee Primordial Frog Leap Stance- preparation"

or "The Primordial Frog Leap Stance- in preparation for Gee Relations"

etc.

Because is all honesty, it is a TOTALLY Gee stance!

And for the record...it is perfectly fine to me that Gee TKD practitioners participate in the Olympics!!

Flexibility is very important
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !