Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun and Tai Chi Chuan

Wing Chun and Tai Chi Chuan

Hello

I am 5.SG EBMAS Practitioner and have been training almost 1,5 years.
    I am interested in Traditional Training Methods of WC; therefore I want to begin a Tai Chi Chuan course.

What do you think about it?
    IS there any advantage of learning basic Tai Chi Chuan for Wing Chun Training

The value you receive will be in proportion to the value you choose to get out of it.

You will find people voicing support for and against your intention, but the truth of the matter is, the only limitations you have are the ones you impose on yourself or the ones others impose on you that you accept.

Do what feels right to you and learn as you go. If you are not getting anything out of it stop for a time, if you do get something out of it, there will be your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    The value you receive will be in proportion to the value you choose to get out of it.

You will find people voicing support for and against your intention, but the truth of the matter is, the only limitations you have are the ones you impose on yourself or the ones others impose on you that you accept.

Do what feels right to you and learn as you go. If you are not getting anything out of it stop for a time, if you do get something out of it, there will be your answer.
    Game, set and match.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Game, set and match.
    I bow to the wisdom of your recognition of the wisdom of my words!

Try learning WCK for WCK, rather than Tai Ji for WCK.

But if you're interested in Tai Ji Quan, go right ahead. But find someone who knows how to use it according to the methods of Tai Ji Quan, and not just plays a form.

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Try learning WCK for WCK, rather than Tai Ji for WCK.

But if you're interested in Tai Ji Quan, go right ahead. But find someone who knows how to use it according to the methods of Tai Ji Quan, and not just plays a form.

Yup. totally agree.

Dont waste time to do Tai ji quan for WCK, it only add to confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Dont waste time to do Tai ji quan for WCK, it only add to confusion.
    At least we now know why you always sound so confused in your posts - you're mixing different stuff with your WCK all the time!
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    At least we now know why you always sound so confused in your posts - you're mixing different stuff with your WCK all the time!
    I agree, and I think it demonstrates ignorance when people say learning "this" with "that" will only confuse the student!

That is like saying learning "kicks" with "strikes" will only confuse the student.

Yes, it is confusing for someone who only trains kicks or only trains strikes, and then adds the other skill, but once they are taught together, after the initial confusion, they are integrated and confusion disappears.

The differences between marital arts styles are arbitrarily set by the ignorant. There is no inherent difference that one does not impose on themselves and/or their students.

TaiChi is cool.. Years ago I read an amazing TC book and some of it seemed to apply to what I was doing in my WCK training.. However, TC appears to use a different kind of core motion and mechanics and strategy.. That being the case--a different core--I would question how useful TC is going to be for learning WCK...assuming that was the stated goal.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    TaiChi is cool.. Years ago I read an amazing TC book and some of it seemed to apply to what I was doing in my WCK training.. However, TC appears to use a different kind of core motion and mechanics and strategy.. That being the case--a different core--I would question how useful TC is going to be for learning WCK...assuming that was the stated goal.
    If nothing else one is not bound by an attachment to one kind of movement.

Think of it as broadening ones horizons. Sort of like learning a new language. You may never go to the country that speaks the new language, but the understanding gained from it helps one to understand language in general!

its a matter me what you want. Do you not think you are learning vt properly and what do you think you will get out of the tai chi. The waist is very important and learning two opposite things at the same time makes it harder for the body too build the reflex action needed. The language idea is more if you taught a child two different ways of saying hello which one will he use?

Quote Originally Posted by bennyvt View Post
    ...learning two opposite things at the same time makes it harder for the body too build the reflex action needed.
    This is a highly individual thing. It might be hard for you, but not for all people. It is actually relatively easy to learn a number of skills at once. What do you think dancers do, or gymnasts, or what children that play football, basketball and baseball are doing? They are learning different skill sets all in succession and pretty much at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by bennyvt View Post
    The language idea is more if you taught a child two different ways of saying hello which one will he use?
    You do not know what you are talking about here!

I'd have to disagree.. Less is more in fighting..with the exception of those skills which relate say to different ranges, like boxing vs grappling, each compliment each other..

However when talking about learning WCK TC is not going to enable WCK learning anymore than French studies would enhance Japanese.

Ever heard of hicks law?
    the time it takes for a person to make a decision as a result of the possible choices he or she has
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hick%27s_law

Tony Blauer used to talk about folks who studied arts that advertised hundreds or even thousands of techniques.. He said yeah, in other words the art of having no clue what (which response) to do..

When we need to act and have more than a couple of choices the response time increases. More options sounds lovely, like a bowl of fruit, but if the poster is interested in learning WCK then the best way to do that is to find a good teacher of WCK..

Likewise if the person wants to learn TC the best way to do that is the same. It's hard enough to get skills in one without jumbling them up esp in the early stages. If one wants to speak Japanese one is best advised to go to Japan and stay there a while, not tour Europe..
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

I see what you are saying....the original question is will tcc help with wck, however, since the end goal is to learn to fight effectively I took the extra step to this end purpose and believe that learning any other martial art including tcc, will assist with this purpose as would many other athletic endeavors including dance. Of course that assumes an effective ttc instructor and wck instructor in this particular case.

In fact learning any additional physical skill set would assist one with their original skill set. I have noted over my many years of MA training that most practitioners are not really athletes of any sort and do not fully understand physical skill sets enough to make the judgments some are making here.

I have been a state class swimmer and water polo player, a diver, a gymnast, a dancer ( I was offered a dance scholarship to UCLA) as well as trained in multiple, say 5-10 different martial arts systems. I have a solid basis for making the comments I have. Take them or leave them as you like. I am confident in my conclusions since I have seen them proven true on many occasions as well as having personal experience that they are accurate assessments!

If others cannot see the benefits of learning two different languages then they are woefully uneducated concerning the delicacies of linguistics and there is nothing I can do to convince them. If one merely learns the languages without taking the time to understand linguistics they could not hope to understand my point. Either you understand it or you don't!

Once you have learned a few different languages it is easier to learn more, this is not because one has a good memory, it is because they have developed a good sense of linguistics and grammar structure just as when one learns a few different physical skill sets, they may much more quickly learn and understand others. Each skill set broadens ones abilities making one able to learn further ones more quickly and practice them with more effectiveness.

Of course it takes experience, intelligence and a desire to understand the underlying principles of the learned skill sets. Not everyone has these abilities, or desire to do so, and therefore would not necessarily understand the benefits.

As I said in my original post: