Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun and Tai Chi Chuan

I did chong style for just over a yeare when i was still pretty young in WC (and still am). My WC was not quit developed and found that i would somtimes mesh the 2 and end up with somthing that was not quit either, being that the structers where completly diffrent.

Get really good at one, get it to your core. Then, if you still wish, learn the other.

Tai Chi Quan will complement your Wing Chun, definitely. It is the same vice versa.
    "In fighting, the hand you can see will not hurt you, the hand you cannot see, will hurt you." - Grandmaster Gary Lam

I practice the following:

Sil Lum Hark Fu (two separate lineages)
    Bak Sil Lum
    Yang Tai Chi (long and short / old and adapted)
    Beijing 24 taichi
    mixed martial arts
    qigong (various sources)
    neigong (sil lum)

I have been taught and have learned:

Isshin ryu karate do (brown belt)
    Tae Kwon Do (black belt)
    Fencing (epee, sabre and foil)
    Boxing (i have a juv record in this as well)
    GR wrestling (inter-provincial levels)

None of them interfere with any. Most can be practiced in the same 2 hour session. All bring a lot to the table

The whole idea of not expanding is a lie. However, the idea of rushing through any given art to get to the next one is counter productive as well. I have only learned so many things because i am mid forties and have been doing these endeavours since i was 9 yrs old with the encouragement of my father and my early teachers.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Here are the bottom lines.

1, Taiji Chuan alone, There are atleast 4 different types of power generation based on the lineage (IE Chen, Yang, Wu...) range from totally let go to using the medirians.

2, WCK alone, there are more then a few different types of power geneartion based on the lineage (IE pivoting, non pivoting, different pivoting....) range from totally rigid and heavy rely on stance and muscular like Hung Gar to extremely dynamic as the Emei 12 Zhuang.

Now, each of these power generation type is influencing or determining the application methods. IE: one drive a 4 wheel drive different then a front wheel drive or reel wheel drive.

These creates hundreds of differences in applications combinations which suit one lineage but not suit other lineage.
    there is no way for even a senior martial artists to sort these out if he is not train up to an advance state with the key sifus of the lineage to know and handle the key pro and con or even mistake in these lineages.

It is hopeless and a total mess for any junior or even senior martial artists to speculate and makes believe due to one can mimic some move in WCK or Taijichuan one knows the art.

So, why the heck one wants to get into these confusion and going no where but mess and chaotic creation deal of learning taijichuan for WingChunkuen?

The fastest way one can really learn an art great is to go to the best of the best in that lineage and let him coach one if the best of the best willing to teach. So, that get into the Bai Si which I always mention in my post but most take it wrongly.

Forget about mind speculation, objective thinking, critical thinking.... all those thinking and thinking, reading and reading books..... if one want the art, get a master to coach one. otherwise it is cheating oneself.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 03-03-2010 at 11:18 AM.

I have thought TCC and WCK as Latin and Italian not French and Japanese.
    Studying Latin While you are learning Italian (of course after a specific level of Italian studying) helps you to improve control and have more success on speaking.
    Because Latin is root of italian language.
    I am thinking in the same way about TCC and WCK because TCC is one of the main roots of many Martial Arts of China like WCK
    I had met a Sifu, who is traditional WCK System Instructor, thru his detailed blog site about WCK. One day while we have been chatting he told me that
    a sifu always had to know TCC, may be a student hadn't but a sifu definetely had to..
    From that day I have always thought to learn TCC
    is it a bad or nonsense decision
    or
    do I know something wrong?

PS.
    Sorry for my English
    Explaining what I think makes me really sweat with my english level.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaldszar View Post
    From that day I have always thought to learn TCC
    is it a bad or nonsense decision
    or
    do I know something wrong?
    Hi Ghaldszar,

The thing to do is to try it. Find a good tcc teacher and give it a shot. It is likely, if you are a beginner you will experience some confusion. But if you stick with it you will be fine. There is no reason you cannot do both at the same time. This "only one martial art at a time" thing is an old tradition that no longer applies and many people have not out grown that teaching. It has to do with old Chinese traditions. Even in old China they cross trained in different arts, however.

Try it, if you like it continue, if you do not find another instructor or wait for a time and take it up again later.

These decisions are highly individual.

I have thought TCC and WCK as Latin and Italian not French and Japanese.
    I know what you are saying, but in some ways you might be better learning two dissimilar arts with little in common - there's less intersection to get confused over.

Most people end up learnig a bit of this and that due to changes in circumstances anyway.

Life's too short not to try things you are interested in.

My first KF style was a mix of WC, Choy Li Fut and Northern Sil Lum. The teacher didn't have much trouble fighting or generating power, and nor did his students.

Specialization is for insects.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Try learning WCK for WCK, rather than Tai Ji for WCK.
    Seems like common sense to me... JMO.

And then so does Hick's Law..
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Hello

I am 5.SG EBMAS Practitioner and have been training almost 1,5 years.
    I am interested in Traditional Training Methods of WC; therefore I want to begin a Tai Chi Chuan course.

What do you think about it?
    IS there any advantage of learning basic Tai Chi Chuan for Wing Chun Training
    I would personally recommend that you stick to Wing Chun and study it in a good school then build a solid understanding of it. If you then have the extra time and feel the desire, or the need, then you can consider training Tai Chi.

I don't believe that mixing the two is a good idea from the beginning.

HW108

Hello

I am 5.SG EBMAS Practitioner and have been training almost 1,5 years.
    I am interested in Traditional Training Methods of WC; therefore I want to begin a Tai Chi Chuan course.

What do you think about it?
    IS there any advantage of learning basic Tai Chi Chuan for Wing Chun Training
    The idea that practicing more than one art inhibits the learning of another is for the most part false. There are many that have disproven the theory of "jack of all trades is a master of none".

So I'd say try it. If it proves to be enlightening for you then you will continue to do it. If you find that learning two things at once is too much, then you should stop and focus on one or the other.

It's ultimately up to you and how well you're able to assimilate it all into your toolshed.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

In fact I dont want to specialize to two marital art at the same time. I want to learn TCC to improve my skills for WCK like using chi, solving stance problems and improving balance and coordination. Especially I want to soften the movements at attack and defence. I want to train chi sao without less tighten.

like Bruce Lee' s quote which is about being like water.
    :P

Additionally
    If I want to learn TCC compeletely including martial art side, I cant because in the city I live I can' t find Martial Art Course what I want. Now I can only find a beginner level course which contains 10 moves and Chi Kung etc...

in the past in Shaollin
    TCC was taught to everyone who was training martial arts or not. On the other hand, Martial art of ancient times was splited and is known seperate names this day.
    For example at Japanese arts
    At the beginning one martial art had become Aikido, kendo, Iaido, Judo, ju Jitsu and etc... All those new arts growed a lot after split and increased number of technics. thats why I don't understand why they said not to train two arts same time in old times.

I hope I can tell the frame of my mind

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    I would personally recommend that you stick to Wing Chun and study it in a good school then build a solid understanding of it. If you then have the extra time and feel the desire, or the need, then you can consider training Tai Chi.

HW108
    Hardwork108
    May be you are right
    I am at the beginning of WCK and beginning to train another art can be confusing. But in this instance I cant decide which level I train WCK is enough for beginning a new thing?
    What do you think?

In fact I dont want to specialize to two marital art at the same time. I want to learn TCC to improve my skills for WCK like using chi, solving stance problems and improving balance and coordination.
    That's what I read... While several have said one won't interfere with the other, that is not what you asked..

No, IMO the TC will not help you learn WCK, plain and simple because TCC is not WCK nor is it real close...

It's very hard to find good TMA instruction.. That alone is task enough for any art.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    That's what I read... While several have said one won't interfere with the other, that is not what you asked..

No, IMO the TC will not help you learn WCK, plain and simple because TCC is not WCK nor is it real close...

It's very hard to find good TMA instruction.. That alone is task enough for any art.
    Yung is correct.
    While Tai chi will benefit you in a variety of ways, it will not DIRECTLY benefit your WC.
    Think it like this, while swimming will benefit your WC because you will get in better shape in general, it will not have a DIRECT influence on your WC.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post

HW108
    I was hesitating to say the same... from experience.

Originally Posted by Ghaldszar View Post
    In fact I dont want to specialize to two marital art at the same time.

I want to learn TCC to improve my skills for WCK like using chi, solving stance problems and improving balance and coordination.

This is a total dead trap.

1, the thought process is confusing.

2, ask 95% of TCC player here, none of them knows Chi but dance, they can call themself a master, instructor....etc. but Zero Chi experience beside talk.

3, Solving stance problems, improving balance...? You move the same with TCC in WCK you dead.

Face it, one cant fantasy like this. A waste of life.

It is none of my business anyone wants to keep fantasy and talk smart. But for those 5% who is serious. Dont wasting your life to do screw up.