Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Baxierboxer, MIA ?

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    I trued to get info on California public death records on the internet- I didn't succeed- on;ly found commercial info finders. California folks may have better luck.(Walter...?)

But FWIW on a general fung fu related topic- on the relevance of forms...I agree with what Pete has said for some time- that the forms of a good style when properly internalized contains important information on the principles and techniques of the style- and that seemingly insignificant motions can have effective applications for good teachers and students.Early in his career he said that a good student should know multiple applications of a motion. The forms are based on the engines and energies of a style.

Back in the 60s--Pete was at the cutting edge of the influx of major TCMA folks into the martial scene in the US.He accumulated tons of quality information- without chest beating.

Isn't that some photo that Kisu shared - of Pete? He was both flexible and powerful.

BTW Pete had seen/met Bruce Lee and was not a real fan -I am not referring to BL movies.

Joy Chaudhuri
    Re: Forms.
    Indeed Joy, Pete shared with me a clip of a demo he was at where he showed an application of the SALUTE of the "small cross" form from GM Wong.
    While we didn't always agree on the value of forms, his points were well made and valid AND he was living proof that they worked.
    He was/is a traditionalist in the purest and best sense of the word.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

But FWIW on a general fung fu related topic- on the relevance of forms...I agree with what Pete has said for some time- that the forms of a good style when properly internalized contains important information on the principles and techniques of the style- and that seemingly insignificant motions can have effective applications for good teachers and students.Early in his career he said that a good student should know multiple applications of a motion. The forms are based on the engines and energies of a style.
    Joy Chaudhuri
    It's what I've been told about forms by my Sifus, have started to feel in sparring, and have seen in the senior students.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Indeed Joy, Pete shared with me a clip of a demo he was at where he showed an application of the SALUTE of the "small cross" form from GM Wong.
    While we didn't always agree on the value of forms, his points were well made and valid AND he was living proof that they worked.
    very cool, indeed.
    I do the same thing when teaching the bow, "Dragon and Tiger Emerge," or even the simple gin lai, in my school. Many applications in seeming "meaningless" movements. It opens the minds of my students and teaches them to think, and understand, rather than just to mimic.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The salute application would catch you unaware and send you sprawling before you knew what happened. We had a long couple of discussions about the application of what appeared to b simple movements in the form, all with viscously powerful real world uses. Ya know, I need to dig through my archives (which are slowly being digitized) I have a few vids of Master Pete in application. One in particular is of him tossing Walter around like a rag doll (and Walter is a big guy, much bigger than Peter) he handles him with ease. Some in particular he uses Phoenix eye to punch the joint! My friend was a well rounded teacher/ practitioner and just a great guy in general. His stories about his encounters with BL painted the man as highly skilled but not very personable (Dragons tend to be loved or hated). I got similar impressions from Steve Muhammed, GM WJM, Steve Hearing and some others.

Ahhh our heros and their feet of clay....

D*a*m*n I'm getting all misty about the man. (he'd love that LOL!)
    Last edited by Lokhopkuen; 03-18-2010 at 10:46 AM.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

I hope that he has not passed. But if so, may he rest in peace. Sad news.

sigh* me and him used to exchange emails over the past 4 years, then suddenly he didn't reply. I was wondering where he went...one of the old guards has gone. RIP Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    The salute application would catch you unaware and send you sprawling before you knew what happened. We had a long couple of discussions about the application of what appeared to b simple movements in the form, all with viscously powerful real world uses. Ya know, I need to dig through my archives (which are slowly being digitized) I have a few vids of Master Pete in application. One in particular is of him tossing Walter around like a rag doll (and Walter is a big guy, much bigger than Peter) he handles him with ease. Some in particular he uses Phoenix eye to punch the joint! My friend was a well rounded teacher/ practitioner and just a great guy in general. His stories about his encounters with BL painted the man as highly skilled but not very personable (Dragons tend to be loved or hated). I got similar impressions from Steve Muhammed, GM WJM, Steve Hearing and some others.

Ahhh our heros and their feet of clay....

D*a*m*n I'm getting all misty about the man. (he'd love that LOL!)
    I hear you bro, I hear you...
    I recall him mentioning to me that, while he was never a SPM Guy, he did pick up what he "needed" and the PE fist tot he joint was one of those things and it is a quite brutal move, especially the shoulder joint ( front).
    I can't express to you the regret I feel for not making the time to meet up with him...

Nobody lives near the guy? No one can go to his house?

I don't know the guy, but wish him the best.

Who of you knows the guy, where he lives, etc, that can go and see?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    His last student Walter is the key. But his profile did not have a PM link. Unfortunately, I am in Tempe, Arizona and he lived in California...last in Westlake Village. If indeed he is gone and it looks bad with each passing day- some great kungfu knowledge went with him, accumulated through extensive learning, practicing and applying and analysis over decades...via an impressive list of master/teachers and styles.He didn't suffer fools and phonies. He knew a lot more SPM than he let on...always honoring his teachers who he sought out carefully.
    His politics is different than mine but I may have lost a great friend and a martial art kin.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

His living arrangement was "complicated" and I'm not really sure as of this point.
    I've mentioned his passing to several local teachers, we're all quite sad.

peace
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    His last student Walter is the key. But his profile did not have a PM link. Unfortunately, I am in Tempe, Arizona and he lived in California...last in Westlake Village. If indeed he is gone and it looks bad with each passing day- some great kungfu knowledge went with him, accumulated through extensive learning, practicing and applying and analysis over decades...via an impressive list of master/teachers and styles.He didn't suffer fools and phonies. He knew a lot more SPM than he let on...always honoring his teachers who he sought out carefully.
    His politics is different than mine but I may have lost a great friend and a martial art kin.

joy chaudhuri
    Hello Everyone, This is a disturbing thread and I would like to help . I met the man only once and do not know him at all but after reading all of your posts I wish I did.

I live in Ventura County ( about 10-15 minute drive from Westlake/ Thousand Oaks . If anyone wants to provide me with last known address or numbers I will do my best to help resolve this issue.

I know Sifu Manuel Rodriguez ( SPM/ BM) in Ventura and a few other kats around the area, I will ask around.

If you would like my help send me a PM with info. and I will exhaust my efforts to do so.....take care

TTM
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 03-19-2010 at 11:56 AM.

Manuel doesn't know where he lived (I told him the news today) Walter (baxierstudent) is the best resource for information so we'll rely on him as information becomes available.

Peace

Kisu

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Hello Everyone, This is a disturbing thread and I would like to help . I met the man only once and do not know him at all but after reading all of your posts I wish I did.

I live in Ventura County ( about 10-15 minute drive from Westlake/ Thousand Oaks . If anyone wants to provide me with last known address or numbers I will do my best to help resolve this issue.

I know Sifu Manuel Rodriguez ( SPM/ BM) in Ventura and a few other kats around the area, I will ask around.

If you would like my help send me a PM with info. and I will exhaust my efforts to do so.....take care

TTM
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

TTT for any potential new information.

I PM'd bakxierstudent to see if he had any follow up info but I have not hear from him.

Today I just found out that a person I "knew" over in another forum passed away...
    It was sudden and unexpected...

Sifu Peter Robinson at RMK's Friendship Games

-Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi