Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Bak mei?

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    The poster was "NY Dragon" and Chan Sifu's work has a lot of that loong ying flavour, partially because of his size, I reckon. I'd like to know more about him if anybody knows.
    why do all the lung ying masters have big feet? do they have like a funky weighted low squat footwork routine or something?. Half the guys at my class are old lung ying guys Ive never trained it they just said Lung Ying is like Bak Mei, but I can see the difference in musculature BM guys are skinny-toned and stand very upright from all the floating footwork... LY guys have big dwarf feet and stocky shoulders even though the basics all looks like sub jee. the sifu's of the two styles have diff features

do they do some type of tendon work around thee knees so the soles of their feet swell up like some weird dragon foot bridge skill? lol or is it the lung ying sifus all come from the same area known for bigfoot. lame pun I know..
    Last edited by diego; 04-02-2013 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Runlikehell View Post
    I think I heard he teaches in NY?
    Yeah, that's Dragonclaw's sifu, isn't it! I guess he only spends half the year here in the U.S. Dragonclaw says he's amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/user/nydragon7
    Last edited by Faruq; 04-03-2013 at 07:20 PM.

Panama and NY, he has some good stuff.
    I wonder if my friends in the Netherlands have any info, they are about the best informed around.
    When it comes to Pak Mei and Loong Ying, remember that Lam Yeu Gwai and Cheung Lai Cheun were family and they trained together in Lam Family tradition early on. Lam was big and stocky, Cheung was tall and lanky. Says a lot more than any disertation on theory....
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    Yeah, that's Dragonclaw's sifu, isn't it! I guess he only spends half the year here in the U.S. Dragonclaw says he's amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/user/nydragon7
    I can only go on what I've heard and seen, but he sounds amazing!

Panama and NY, he has some good stuff.
    I wonder if my friends in the Netherlands have any info, they are about the best informed around.
    When it comes to Pak Mei and Loong Ying, remember that Lam Yeu Gwai and Cheung Lai Cheun were family and they trained together in Lam Family tradition early on. Lam was big and stocky, Cheung was tall and lanky. Says a lot more than any disertation on theory....
    While dissertation and theories are interesting, they can't compare to practical, real experience IMO.
    I'm glad to see the Pak Mei and Lung Ying connections continuing, whether they be via a Sifu who has experience in both arts, or one group exchanging with another. Even positive online discussion is a step in the right direction.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Chen Luk-San is indeed Dragonclaw's Sifu. He can usually be found on Sunday mornings in Columbus Park playing push hands. He is very approachable, jovial, and playful, but try to take a cheap shot and he'll deck you.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Bak Mei??

I really have to ask but is this Bak Mei??:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0rm4LExEQg

because if it is can anyone explain why it looks NOTHING like it?
    Tung Kong Hakka Chow Gar Naam Pai Tong Long

http://www.youtube.com/user/dmas5animals

Quote Originally Posted by charp choi View Post
    I really have to ask but is this Bak Mei??:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0rm4LExEQg

because if it is can anyone explain why it looks NOTHING like it?
    That's not the same guy, surely. The video speaks for itself.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

I am pretty sure that is Green Dragon Studio's Bak Mei forms from their videos.

vintage pix

Luv those vintage pix. Ahhh, the seventies.
    Tenants from Ming Sun’s Past: the Bak Mei Kung Fu Association
    Posted on January 21, 2014 by 439powell

From Fred Herzog’s fortuitous shot of a baby blue Ming Sun building, here are some fabulous photos of the Bak Mei Kung Fu Association who were the tenants in the Ming Sun Building/439 Powell in the early 1970s. The photos include a number of interior and exterior photos of 437/439 Powell.The Association is still in Vancouver’s Chinatown AND on the web. For more information on the Bak Mei Kung Fu Association in 2014, please click here: http://www.bakmei.ca/

For a look at the full set of photos and captions, they can be found here.

Special thanks to Michael Chu and Michael Wong from the Bak Mei Kung Fu Association for sharing these wonderful historic photos!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Looks pretty nice there. Now that area is brutal. It's all rock and hoes. Cool to see Sifu as a kid. Thanx for that.

Good point, make it 15....

lol im almost done ying jow...should be 5 more years before I learn 9 step lol.

when I started sifu had one student who did tkd for 20 years as a youth so age 26 he was 12 years into bak mei still like 4 forms away from the last form and I dont ask out of respect but he probably still has 1 or 2 forms left to learn 8 years later lol.

its one thing to learn jik bo from a 30 year old who trained 10 years and from a 70 year old who trained 50 years.

Its good to spend 5 years on sub jee, sam mor kuen as your jik bo will look different age 60 than when it did when you started training in high school.
    Last edited by diego; 06-17-2017 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    why do all the lung ying masters have big feet? do they have like a funky weighted low squat footwork routine or something?. Half the guys at my class are old lung ying guys Ive never trained it they just said Lung Ying is like Bak Mei, but I can see the difference in musculature BM guys are skinny-toned and stand very upright from all the floating footwork... LY guys have big dwarf feet and stocky shoulders even though the basics all looks like sub jee. the sifu's of the two styles have diff features

do they do some type of tendon work around thee knees so the soles of their feet swell up like some weird dragon foot bridge skill? lol or is it the lung ying sifus all come from the same area known for bigfoot. lame pun I know..

lol one of our Lung Ying guys is a Bak Mei Sifu now and he is huge but he bodybuilds and is tall, my sifu is not that tall but I notice his fist is huge, lol like his neck is thick but he looks like an Engineer like what he went to school for I think. I think all the pulling moves with tiger claw grip flexing is similar to doing dead lifts like your neck and hand bones become thicker from the pulling and rotating forces...adding floating and sinking to the bak mei staff form adds to this thickness of grip like heavy reps of lightweight dead lifts, arm curls and bent over rows.
    Last edited by diego; 06-17-2017 at 06:46 PM.

hi diego

Tell us more about your Bak Mei as it is always interesting to here about it from people who actualy study it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Firehawk4 View Post
    Tell us more about your Bak Mei as it is always interesting to here about it from people who actually study it ?
    not much to say lol Im just sad more martial artists dont have access to it looking at the quality of demo`s online from various styles.. it`s all pretty well cataloged online if you know what you are looking for...but Bak Mei is fast you cant see everything on video to learn at all, lol. Im half way through the system I see a hand in an advanced form thinking I know what it is and I don`t or the move will look unimportant and it turns out its a main defense against Muay Thai clinch grab when I thought it was just like a basic palm or whatever.

Also My Sifu`s Jik Bo looked the same at age 60 as it does age 70. I`m 8 years in but when you learn Bak Mei like every three years your Jik Bo changes like each new form adds a new control of your basic fighting technique. Sub Jee opens up using Jik Bo with standard Shaolin fighting technique, Sam Mor Kuen makes your Jik Bo Faster, the staff makes it feel stronger...that`s the first three years I took a year off due to other commitments but now with Ying Jow my Jik bo feels Heavy like it would be easy to punch through dry walls with jabs wheras with Sam Mor kuen its like I`d hit the wall with a spear point now I feel heavy fist like throw a bag of cement at the wall lol. I think 9 step push makes your Jik Bo more full body like your lower body comes into play but that takes a good 10 years if you have to learn weapons and such, plus they do Lion Dance.

Thats my interpretation coming from another style in my 20s, it would have been interesting to train it since birth.
    Last edited by diego; 06-20-2017 at 12:26 PM.

Hey Diego..

I'm interested in hearing more about your Bak Mei training. I'm actually about to start training in Bak Mei myself. I'm a big guy and 51 yrs old... Wanted something a bit different from the Hak Fu Mun training now that I've recovered from the sudden passing of my sifu. I want to learn the Southern Mantis this sifu teaches... But he doesn't teach that out the gate. So my choices are Wing Chun, Lung ying, and Bak Mei.

Anything you can share would be appreciated.

Jeff😉
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)