Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Bak mei?

Regarding Nine Step Push I heard it is based on an old set/exercise called 3 step push. This patern is repeated 3 times hence Nine Step Push.

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf View Post
    Regarding Nine Step Push I heard it is based on an old set/exercise called 3 step push. This patern is repeated 3 times hence Nine Step Push.
    Olaf,
    Yes, there's a funny thing going on, with the nine moves, most are composed of combinations of 3 (the 4th is sometimes a transition, or there can be some steps). Sometimes when I count it out it works, sometimes not, it is a bit of a puzzle.
    There are the parts that repeat, so I count them once in the 9.

Also, the sets of 3 can sometimes be altered to drop one from before, and add one from after, changing the flow and application. Also,

The signature move, with the clearing hands, has 3 parts, done 3 times.

Also, as a tidbit, I count the steps. Its always different, but between 100 and 120, supposedly, its 108.

Now, I don't think this means anything, just trivia. Exploring it, however, did yield some interesting results, so have at it.

And remember, somebody along the line may have added something that throws the numbers off.... If indeed they mean anything to begin with! LOL...
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

i cant place it, but ive read about the 3 step push in my bak mei research... cant remember where... may have been the pak mei ass. in hk website...

yeah, we count it off too... sifu will be like, okay start at 37... makes it easier...

Yum Cha,

You are right in the changes and that you can count them in different ways. Of course we don't know for sure what is the orgin of the name but i just liked this one. The one of making the character nine on the floor also seems quite well accepted. I will try tomorrow if i can make that one work!

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    i cant place it, but ive read about the 3 step push in my bak mei research... cant remember where... may have been the pak mei ass. in hk website...

yeah, we count it off too... sifu will be like, okay start at 37... makes it easier...
    Hi Syn,
    I don't count it off like that, just on occasion when I'm playing around with it.

I think the 3 step push, and jik bo, and the sam bo Jin (SPM 3 step) may have all come from a similar place. There is a suggestion of southern white crane San Chen....

And they all seem to be hakka arts.

Its getting pretty forensic to try and take it back like that...
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    Hi Syn,
    I don't count it off like that, just on occasion when I'm playing around with it.

I think the 3 step push, and jik bo, and the sam bo Jin (SPM 3 step) may have all come from a similar place. There is a suggestion of southern white crane San Chen....

And they all seem to be hakka arts.

Its getting pretty forensic to try and take it back like that...
    lol in the advanced class sifu said stop counting it slows you down it's good for learning sections in the beginning...have you guys seen many gung fu sets that leave a shape in the sand? never heard of it until recently...

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTE0OTI0ODgw.html

2004 Celebration of Great Master Cheung Lai Chuen's Birthday Anniversary. Demos are found between the 8:00 and 35:00 minute marks.

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    lol in the advanced class sifu said stop counting it slows you down it's good for learning sections in the beginning...have you guys seen many gung fu sets that leave a shape in the sand? never heard of it until recently...

Yea, the shape in the sand thing is pretty fun. Never much concerned myself with that side of it though. The issue with counting, try to separate your breathing next....
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    Yea, the shape in the sand thing is pretty fun. Never much concerned myself with that side of it though. The issue with counting, try to separate your breathing next....
    you should watch the video diego posted... its long but its interesting... you get to see a bunch of sup jee with lil variations between skools... some guys do swords and staff too, very similar to ours here in vancouver... we are clc hk line... theres lots of other forms i havent learned yet too... i cant say much about them since i havent broken them down and been taught yet, but they are fun to watch none the less...

you should watch the video diego posted... its long but its interesting... you get to see a bunch of sup jee with lil variations between skools... some guys do swords and staff too, very similar to ours here in vancouver... we are clc hk line... theres lots of other forms i havent learned yet too... i cant say much about them since i havent broken them down and been taught yet, but they are fun to watch none the less...
    Yes, I know the video and the footage. Some very good work indeed. I wish I knew who they were. One older and rather larger gent did Sub Baat very well, I wish I knew who he was.
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTE0OTI0ODgw.html

2004 Celebration of Great Master Cheung Lai Chuen's Birthday Anniversary. Demos are found between the 8:00 and 35:00 minute marks.
    Is there a download option anywhere on that page to download the video?
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Syn how u dl it?.

I guess that's a negatory on the download option on the page...
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

i found a youku DLer but it didnt work properly... letcha know when i know... i want that footage tho, so it'll happen eventually... im quite persistant that way...

i found a youku DLer but it didnt work properly... letcha know when i know... i want that footage tho, so it'll happen eventually... im quite persistant that way...
    LOL Cool!