Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Bak mei?

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    Jorge, I train @the Gee How Tin benevalent society under Sifu Wilkie Wu going on almost a month now. I have basic Jik Bo and close to half of Sup Ji..I can't wait to pick up some Tai Chi from the old men with swords.
    Thanks! How's your training going? What is your class like? If you don't mind.

Buby

[QUOTE=Jorge;999815]
    Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post

Yum,

I deleted my post, because I found my answer in one of your posts on the different brances of Pak Mei. Thank you!

Buby
    Something else to remember, Jik Bo is short and sweet. As a bit of a change of pace, its fun to add an additional move, or change something, with the idea that your are drilling a combination, as opposed to drilling just the essential Jik bo.

Leung Cheung used to train several different versions, back in the day.

Sometimes its nice to do the mirror image, and start with a right hand instead of a left.

Jik bo is a principle as much as a form. Like many things with Pak Mei, you have to unlock a few secrets here and there.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

For me the fun in Jik Bo is making the principles work in all the other sets. If that works that it really becomes the 'grammar'/engine of the system.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Don't like the jumping, that not pak mei power generation in my book.

Regards, Lau

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Thats a nice vid.
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    That is a pretty textbook execution. Pure Vanilla, HK style.

That Sifu in NZ had a lot to do with WuShu Organisation. His forms are as close as there is to to the wu shu recognised execution. I think its just a default thing, because he was a Wu Shu Judge, or whatever.

Of couse, Pak Mei and Wu Shu aren't exactly two things you put together.

HK Pak Mei has more of the hopping/stomping and than other places. Is that what you are talking about Lau? Its kinda classic for HK.
    Last edited by Yum Cha; 03-18-2010 at 06:05 PM.
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post

HK Pak Mei has more of the hopping/stomping and than other places. Is that what you are talking about Lau? Its kinda classic for HK.
    Coming from a Xing Yi background, what is the hopping and stomping all about?

Yum Cha

The "jumping" is found in HK too, but certainly not in all schools. It does add a cool sound to a performance. But in my opinion the ground should tremble because of the "ging" generation and the root to which power flows when "ging" is issued (with both feet flat and solid on the ground) and not because of some added effect.

Most of the time your fist / hand will reach your opponent before the shock power at the end of the movement, and than I prefer to be with both feet on the ground in stead of in the air. So I am very interested to hear why someone would add this "jumping" to their power generation and what the benefit is.

Regards, Lau

Yum Cha : "Something else to remember, Jik Bo is short and sweet. As a bit of a change of pace, its fun to add an additional move, or change something, with the idea that your are drilling a combination, as opposed to drilling just the essential Jik bo.
    Leung Cheung used to train several different versions, back in the day."

In my experience this is indeed the case and why it may often appear to the uninitiated that different schools train 'different' Jik Bou. Whereas the opposite is usually true.
    I prefer the simplest personally.

Yum Cha : "That is a pretty textbook execution. Pure Vanilla, HK style."

Agreed.

Lau : "The "jumping" is found in HK too, but certainly not in all schools. It does add a cool sound to a performance. But in my opinion the ground should tremble because of the "ging" generation and the root to which power flows when "ging" is issued (with both feet flat and solid on the ground) and not because of some added effect."

With respect I don't understand what you mean here, the ground is never going to 'tremble'. Or am I taking your words too literally?
    For my part the exertion of power during some parts of some perfomance can result in a what appears to be a 'jump' but in fact is a result of the energy that occurs when a body is not hitting another because it isn't hitting or interacting with another. Not at all about a cool sound
    I agree with the feet rooted totally which is why, in what is probably going to be a controversial statement but there you go, the NYC video doesn't do a lot for for me. Too 'skippy'.

Lai See,

I am not a native speaker, let me try to explain it like this. I live in an old house. When I punch/ use power the floor squeaks and glasses in the cupboard can be heard ect. Not because I stomp my feet, but because when a forward power is generated, a downward /backward force is generated instantaneously too. That force goes into your root and give a downward force in the ground which causes this effect.

Regards, Lau (who doens't like to add variation to his jek bo. It is what it is)

Quote Originally Posted by Lau View Post
    Yum Cha

The "jumping" is found in HK too, but certainly not in all schools. It does add a cool sound to a performance. But in my opinion the ground should tremble because of the "ging" generation and the root to which power flows when "ging" is issued (with both feet flat and solid on the ground) and not because of some added effect.

Most of the time your fist / hand will reach your opponent before the shock power at the end of the movement, and than I prefer to be with both feet on the ground in stead of in the air. So I am very interested to hear why someone would add this "jumping" to their power generation and what the benefit is.

Regards, Lau
    The theory behind the stomp or jump is "force vectors" or the direction of force.
    As you move forward the force generated by your movement goes forward but it also goes into all points of contact, the fist when you hit and the floor when you "land", so you try to hit at the moment of the stomp or just before so that as much force is transfered to the target and less amount is transfered to the "floor".
    Think about when you lean you hand aganst the wall and push, if you take your lead foot of the floor you will see more force going into the push because the only point of contact is your hand, as opposed to when your feet touch the ground and they also become a point of contact and point of force direction.
    The stomp creates a reaction of forces, as you stomp the force you hit with is redirected back to you and up your body and out your arm into the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Lau View Post
    Lai See,

I am not a native speaker, let me try to explain it like this. I live in an old house. When I punch/ use power the floor squeaks and glasses in the cupboard can be heard ect. Not because I stomp my feet, but because when a forward power is generated, a downward /backward force is generated instantaneously too. That force goes into your root and give a downward force in the ground which causes this effect.

Regards, Lau (who doens't like to add variation to his jek bo. It is what it is)
    OK, makes total sense now and ditto, same here.
    Thank you, and for the record I don't add either. :-)

This is one of those topics that showing takes seconds, but writing may never properly convey.

Vector is the key.

The exercise of Faat Ging is like taking a bucket of water and throwing it on someone. All the water goes onto them, and there is nothing but an empty vessel left behind.

Visually, you should see a clear focus and direction towards the target, with all energy, movement and focus going there.

if you see energy dissipating upward, downward, or backward, this is wasted energy, not focussed into your target.

There is definitely a charging aspect to Jik Bo, and thus the foot steps forward, I think however some people emphasise the 'stomp' more than others for effect.

Also, there is a stomping sound when some people drop, in that they lift their feet, and them come down on them when their weight catches up.
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng